1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alter egos/Character personas

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Canterpiece, Aug 19, 2015.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just wondering but what do you think of when a entertainer/star has an alter ego (or a few)?

What I mean by this is that they dress up as a certain character for a sketch that they want to do. I think it's an interesting idea, I guess it would be fun to pretend to be someone else for a while. I'm not necessarily talking only about drag kings/queens but the whole character persona some celebrities put on.

For example, you have a guy, let's call him "Fred" who hosts his own TV show. Now and again Fred becomes the character "Andrew" for his daily skit "Andy's Cooking with lemons show" (I am purely making this up btw :lol:slight_smile: and then becomes "Fred" once again for the rest of the show. Or if he also had a character called "Beatrice" he likes to dress up as but identifies as male.

Another example being "Slim shady" being "Eminmen's" alter ego. I don't like his music, I'm only using him as an example.

What's your view on public musicians/entertainers/stars having character personas that they switch back and two from? Do you think it's naff/silly? Or does it make them more interesting? Food for thought anyway.

#1 Canterpiece, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Depends who it is, but I find most of them rather... silly.

Chris Farley was an exception to this, though he played characters that were extensions of his own personality, and it wasn't so much an alter-ego. I suppose, if one really wanted to, you could make the argument it is an alter-ego, but I digress...

3. Gear2BQueer

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it is really funny and it does make them more interesting. I really enjoy the youtubers that do it like Miranda Sings/Colleen Ballinger and Shane Dawson/Shanaynay. The alter egos/characters that aren't comedic though I think add a little mystery to person, which makes people more drawn to them. EX: Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, Lady GaGa, etc.

#3 Gear2BQueer, Aug 19, 2015
  4. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I only starting thinking about the subject after watching a few "Shanaynay" (Shane Dawson alter ego/persona) vids and I thought it would make an interesting topic to discuss. :slight_smile:

#4 Canterpiece, Aug 19, 2015
  5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not entirely sure if this is what you're talking about, but My Chemical Romance was a very theatrical band. During their album The Black Parade, the singer Gerard Way would put on a ton of makeup and stuff to resemble the character in the concept album. And then for the album Danger Days, all of the band had their alter egos of the Killjoys, with names to match. It was kinda neat and weird at the same time.