1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

September Book Club: It's on sale! For really really cheap!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by wisefolly, Aug 28, 2015.

1. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

The e-book version is on sale (today only?) on the U.S. Amazon site for $1.99! Can't beat that, right?

September's Book Club selection is supposed to be Andy Weir's The Martian (which is coming out in Matt Damon movie form in October---coincidence?).

I say supposed because I'm not sure anyone is actually going to read it (at least for the Book Club anyway). If nobody is a firm Sure, You Betcha! then... well, then, that's that. Worth a try!

(!)

2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can comment on it if I see your bookclub posts based on what I remember, but there's too much [new] stuff coming out on September for me to go back and re-read The Martian.

3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I might, I was going to read the August book but couldn't find it anywhere so I figured I'd wait, but this book doesn't seem too interesting

4. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Understandable! I usually read the big buzz books much too late for the buzz---this one had the movie to bump it up the To Be Read list. What books are you looking forward to in September?

If you can ever find Tales of the City I recommend it, it was quite fun! I'm going to read the sequels to find out what happens next (kind of ends without revealing a certain mystery).

I think The Martian sounds like a great adventure story, but I've been in the mood for a good science fiction story for a while. Mind if I ask what kinds of books you like to read?

5. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh no, I don't usually read books as they come out either. But I have a huuuuuuuuge backlog as it is, so mostly I have a hard time justifying to myself the need to go back abs re-read a book when I could be tackling a new one.

In addition to that, I do make an effort to keep up with movies and games coming out (each of those also with their respective backlogs), as well as following a good chunk of TV shows (and getting into new ones fairly regularly). So, yeah. I make sure I'm never wanting for new media to consume lol

If you must know, here some of the novels in my "To Read" list that I hope to get to soon:

• Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
    • The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski
    • Slow Bullets by Alastair Reynolds
    • Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith
    • White Girls (not a novel) by Hilton Als
    • Anathem by Neal Stephenson
    • The Zombie Survival Guide (not a novel) by Max Brooks
    • Revival by Stephen King
    • The World of Ice & Fire (not a novel) by George R. R. Martin, Elio M. García Jr. and Linda Antonsson
    • Bird Box by Josh Maleman
    • Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie
    • The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey
    • Trigger Warning by Neil Gaiman

#5 RawringSnake, Aug 28, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  6. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Oh, the backlog pain, I know it well. I can't think of anything I've ever re-read because of the muchness of the new too.

And thanks for sharing the list, didn't have to know but nice of you to share! Lots of those I want to get to as well (Vandermeer, Stephenson, Leckie, Gaiman). Mike Carey... still waiting for that last Felix Castor book :bang: but heard great things about Girl. And Revival, oh man, I'm a King fan but even I was surprised how effective of a gutpunch it was when [censored bc spoilers] that I still feel a cold dread when I think about it.

My list will probably include a bunch of Mars/Martian books because that's how my brain works (readalikes!).