1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I right or is this excessive? (Readers)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, Sep 19, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

I just needed this clarifying, so be prepared for a stupid question:

I go Waterstones (a bookshop chain in the UK), every Friday, and I buy a new book, and I've done that every week since about January, and over the past few weeks, when I come home with a new book they're like 'You're addicted to buying books' blah blah blah.

Does anyone think owning 91 books and buying one or two new ones a week is excessive? I don't think it is.

91 is my total book count as of today.

If anyone's interest, this week's purchases were a new copy of Gatsby to replace my old one, and Master & Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov.

#1 rudysteiner, Sep 19, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. mallix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I love reading so...no i don't think it's excessive.
    you could be spending your money on worse things!

3. RainDreamer

As long as you are reading them all and not just like, putting them around for show, then *shrug* it is your money.

Though I think it would be more convenient to buy ebooks if you read that many...but physical books does has that irreplaceable feels.

4. rudysteiner

I used to spend my money on worse things. I think people just being objective because they aren't readers.

I've read at least 1/3 of my shelf, but it's more likely to be between 1/2 and 2/3. I like to buy books that I know I will read or need for future reference.

I will admit to buying a book last week so one book wasn't alone on the new row of my shelf I was starting. :icon_redf

5. candyjiru

If it makes you happy and you have an allowance set aside for books and aren't digging a whole into the ground with debt for books, I think it's fine~ Maybe an e-reader would be cheaper and more space-saving, but, to each their own ^.^

6. TheSeeker

You can never have too many books. NEVER.

7. rudysteiner

I tried an e-reader a few months back/about a year ago and I just couldn't do it. It's not the same as having a book in your hands.

This is what I keep saying!!

8. Lazuri

Better than blowing money each week on crack cocaine.

9. mallix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i have a bad habit of frequenting Amazon and buying multiple books when i still have tons to read at home! but hey.. if they are one sale and I'll want to read them.. it makes sense to buy them!

10. Lazuri

It's because you need the smell. That's why I can't read e-books; it's just not the same without the scent and the texture of paper against my fingers.

11. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Not at all! I do the same thing each week at a big charity shop nearby. I normally just buy one book, but last week they had a series of classics, so I bought 20 books - enough to warrant the response "Would you like a large box for those?" and a clinical stare assessing my sanity.

I've counted and I have about 150 (fiction) books in my room. I'm not going to stop buying them; I've read every one.

12. Formality

I buy a lot of second hand books. Sure, if you want the latest releases you might have to go to a book store, otherwise there are a lot of really cheap awesome literature in second hand shops. Just last week I bought like 5 books for the equivalent of about 10 dollars.

I don't think buying 1 or 2 books a week is excessive. Reading is good for you, like fibres and vitamins. Everyone should spend some money on books.

13. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do whatever makes you happy

14. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think so, in fact I wish I could do that :lol:! If it makes you happy and you like doing so continue doing so as long as you're able to.

15. 101DeadRoses

I own more books than the public library in my house.

And those are just MY books. My mom has more.

You're fine, and keep reading.
    The only person who disagrees is my father, and he's a massive hypocrite, so I don't listen.

16. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Like others have said, if you've got the money and space why should anyone be concerned about it?

I have a lot of books and I get The Question, usually by people who don't read but sometimes even by those who do read. Why buy them when you can borrow them? is usually what they mean when they ask Why do you have so many books? It's assuming that I must have some mental defect to actually spend money and use space for, of all things, books! When I start to question their own spending habits on whatever luxuries they like (2 or 3 cups of Starbucks per day, their designer pants/shirts/sunglasses/car, their shoe collection, their jewellery, expensive concert or sports tickets, video games, full service movie theater tickets, etc.) they get all tongue tied in trying to justify their spending habits as "worth it" and mine as "not worth it".

I've always been confused by this "You're strange because you like something I don't" mentality. Also, some people can't get over their own suspicions of books: they seem to see them as some sort of symbol of pretentiousness or something rather than the objects that they are: pages with words on them for entertainment and/or enlightenment.

Having fun and learning: suspicious behavior since forever.

17. Ryu

Ryu

I don't find it excessive in the least. I personally would rather borrow books from a library, but if you like buying books, go for it!

18. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I wouldn't consider that excessive at all, especially not if it makes you happy. :slight_smile:

19. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Read and buy all the books you want. Reading is good for the soul.

20. Jellal

I think that is a LOT of books. But a passion is distinct from moderation for a reason, right?