1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your opinion on the Stonewall movie coming out (no pun intended) tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by bookandquill, Sep 24, 2015.

1. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm just wondering, seeing that almost all of us here are LGBT+.

2. bi2me

I'm hoping to see it, but since we rarely go to the movies, I'm not sure it's likely to actually happen until it comes to netflix or the like.

3. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    It looks good, I'm gonna try to find a pirated copy

4. MrSkittles

I seriously want to see it

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm extremely annoyed that a real history event has been whitewashed and dumbed down for a "wider appeal". If you wanted to make a movie about a white traditionally good looking gay guy's struggle, go for it. Just don't link it to a historic event. -_-

6. tulipinacup

Gah,as soon as I see the white guy throwing the first brick, I knew this was another whitewashed movie to fit into the hollywood screen. Mind you that it was Marsha Johnson, a black transgendered woan who first threw the shot glass. It's so annoying how there's not even POC in the movie and the ones who were part of it was when it centered around the white guy.

It's even more ridiculous to what the director said about this film:
    [​IMG]

lmao@ "straight acting"

7. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^That is the thing with Hollywood movies. It is all about money. The original idea or plan are always tweaked to fit a majority viewing.

It looks okay, but I agree. It looks like it drifts away from the totality of what the movie is really about.

8. Acrid

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've seen the trailer, and I don't plan on watching it.

It looks too whitewashed, too much like Oscar bait, and too much like it was made for the "straight-gaze".

9. Jellal

I see this movie as a stepping stone. A small one to try and get general audiences more used to the idea that LGBT are people with real struggles who deserve respect, if not mere sympathy. Unfortunately, and I mean VERY UNFORTUNATELY, what the director said is true.

It is the ugly fucking truth, people. The public is very slow to learn. Very slow to accept, but quick as hell to discriminate. You even want to stand a chance with the masses? You cater to their whims. You make it easy for them.

Look at it this way. Think about how long it can take for just a family to accept that an individual in their family is LGBT. It could take years, or they might never even accept it.

Now consider that on a societal scale. I don't think you can fathom just how much of a lengthy process this is. YES, this movie is problematic. YES, it is white-washed and it is misrepresenting a historical event and the people who participated. But truth does not come easy and it is not accepted easily. Throw in the Hollywood motivator of box office success and NO, I cannot see how you could expect anything different than what this movie is.

10. tulipinacup

I don't get that, really. You see movies like 12 years a slave, Braveheart, Lincoln,Milk, etc. All of which were historical films at their time and the society gave positive reviews from it. I don't think this is about having the difficulty to handling the truth, this was an opportunity to educate the people about the historical impact of the transgendered community especially the transgendered POC and it was such a big miss.

The only thing positive I can see from this is that people are then forced to actually read their history and wonder why critics shat on this film.

11. Formality

I'm gonna watch it but I'm not gonna pay for it cus the director seems like an asshole.

12. Jellal

The difference between the historical topic this movie is covering vs something like Lincoln or 12 Years a Slave is that the historical topics these other movies covered are easier for people to swallow ... because they can think "oh, we've moved beyond thinking like those old white racists, of course slavery is bad," for example.
    But if a movie came out which accurately depicted the Stonewall Riots, it would be a much harder sell because it would be more likely to strike a guilty, unpleasant chord with audiences that perhaps resonates too deeply with their modern-day prejudices.

13. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've seen the trailer and I think I'll pass on this one...

14. Jalo

Jalo Guest

Haha, the title made me giggle.

But I haven't heard too much about it. I don't think I will see it.

15. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Meh, I'm not even interested in gay history

16. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The movie looks like revisionist shit and I hope it fails miserably.

17. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    According to reports it's already tanking at the box office! Your wish got granted! lol

18. Aster

I'm glad to see this film is getting the negative response it deserves. It completely diminishes the history that the transgendered POC made during that time, and white washes it to be about a white cis male. Like mentioned before, this was the perfect opportunity to educate the public about the legacy the trans POC community left, yet it was a waste.

Also, about that interview, why the hell would the director want to try and appeal to a straight audience? To educate, maybe, but if they want to educate them then they should display it with accuracy. No white cis male lead. This movie needed black transgendered women as the lead cast. They were the ones who threw the first brick after all. I feel that this movie should have tried to appeal to an LGBT+ audience, rather than a straight one. It could've served as a reminder of what we've accomplished and how far we've come, but like I said, the opportunity was wasted.

19. jemand

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Not excited about it. Maybe I'll watch it for free at some point in the future. But I don't plan on it any time soon.

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Gettin' a Tumblr vibe here and there, about this, while reading.

I haven't seen the film, nor read a lot of reviews, so there isn't a fair response I could give about this. But I do want to bring up something, a point to consider.

Being too hard on this movie may just discourage LGBT+ films from being tackled, outside of the stereotypical feminine gay male or the not-really-a-lesbian lesbian roles. It doesn't sound like a marvelous piece of cinema, but I also realize the semi-strategic importance here. Instead of ruthlessly bashing it, we should be encouraged to rectify this situation, because until LGBT+ individuals are seen as just that, individuals, we're still ripe for stock positions.

What concerns me is, people will potentially associate the film with the movement itself, and that could have dire consequences. Especially if "the gays hate it too", it's like handing bigotry a bow-wrapped present of justification.