Writing Critique? Constructive Criticism??

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AlexanderDragon, Sep 28, 2015.

1. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, so I'm an author, but I've had a hard time finding people to honestly give me feedback and constructive criticism on my work. I was wondering if any of you would be willing to give this short story a read and maybe offer suggestions as to how I can improve?

The ticking of his pocket watch was a most terrifying sound to hear - yet oddly mesmerizing. It grew louder with every step closer he took, an overwhelmingness of orderly clicking, in ever so perfect time. Tick, tick, tick, tick. The steps were growing quicker now, matching time with the mechanical clicking. Closer, and closer still he came. I tried to run, I tried, really I did. But the sound! The watch, its rhythm and melodious percussion rooted me to the spot. I could do nothing but close my eyes, and accept my end. The footsteps halted, but his watch was so loud in my ears I could not discern how far away he was. I did not dare open my eyes. Several moments went on like this, the ticking growing ever louder. Louder, louder, louder! Abruptly, the ticking ceased. What was presumably the watch, fell to the ground and shattered.
    "Your time is up, Your Grace. As well is mine."

Here's the teaser for the second installment!

An Unusually Long Eleven Fifty-Nine.

I had a quiet death. I wouldn't say it was peaceful, just quiet. I'll be quite frank, I was terrified. I still hear the ticking of his pocket watch, a marker of every second passing spent in my gray eternity. Though, in hearing the seconds pass, I can be sure that none of them actually occurred. I've checked the clock in this barren, gray room, and it is for certain in working order. But... The hands never move. It's always been 11:59, at least since I died.

#1 AlexanderDragon, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  2. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hear you about not being able to find anybody to give constructive criticism. I do a bit of writing myself and I hate that nobody is willing to tell me what to improve on, so let me see what I can do. Look for the parts marked in bold red.

Right here, I would consider putting a comma instead of a dash.

And right here I'd remove the comma. It kind of detracts a bit from the drama. I read that line in my head and there's just an awkward pause where that comma is. It reads a lot better without it there.

Here, I'd consider changing that comma to a period or removing the second "I tried".

I've noticed a bit of a trend here of commas being used where it would be better off without one, or not used where it would read better. After the word "percussion" I would consider adding a comma.

Seriously, though, awkward comma use is the only fault I've seen in this piece thus far. :slight_smile:

I'd remove those commas, as well. Again, they create awkward pauses right when the drama is built up the most.

All in all, a well-written piece. The awkward commas were the only thing that I could really point out as being "off" in any way. Keep at it. :slight_smile:

(I didn't edit the teaser because you didn't specify that you wanted that one edited.)

#2 ThatBorussenGuy, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  3. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks, I'll edit it to see how it sounds with modified comma usage!

4. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll try to help. My forte isn't in mystery and all, but I'll try my best, based on the books I tend to read.

For starters, is the paragraph as it is? No other paragraphs to pause the entire thing? I'm not well versed in story writing-I'm trying, but I'm a fanfic author, and I noticed that fics have generally shorter paragraphs. Parts when the anticipation is building-the ticking sounds-I feel that they should have been another paragraph.

The ticking of his pocket watch was a most terrifying sound to hear - yet oddly mesmerizing. I think you could have merged the two sentences. The ticking of his pocket watch was a most terrifying-yet oddly mesmerizing-sound to hear.

I tried to run, I tried, really I did. But the sound! The first part, when the victim is trying to prove to the reader that he did try to run, I found the repetition unnecessary. Although you try to stress the idea of running, the exclamation of the sound holding him back makes the pace quicken, and the repeated stress of trying to run slows it down, so you have an overly quick pace, followed by a fast increase, before it drops totally to let him being caught sink in. Instead, I tried to run-really, I did-but the sound! I feel is a a build-up to the drop of him being caught.

I also found your excess use of exclamation marks a little off putting. The part where it goes Louder, louder, louder! it sounds...weird. I don't think you should have repeated 'louder' so many times-it makes the pace pick up too quickly, especially with the exclamation mark. Right at the next sentence, the pace drops to a halt. Personally, I would prefer these types of scenes to have a slow, calm pace. Instead of quickening and slowing the pace at intervals, a slow, steady pace would be able to build up the tension, especially if we're looking at the victim's POV.

Er, I do say I don't make much sense in this. I'm usually editing more on sentence structure and don't touch as much on writing style. This does seem interesting, though. Seems right up my lane, as to what to read. Are you going to continue to make it a story? If you are, I would love to read it, if possible. It does seem very interesting. Best of luck on it!

5. horrorgeek

Insofar as sentence structure, you might try switching up the first few sentences. They all start with "I", and it seems to prevent the intro from flowing properly. Just a minor suggestion there. In general, though, your writing is quite exceptional. It's so suspenseful, just the one paragraph has me hooked and wanting to read more. Nice!

6. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Thanks, I had just copied and pasted this from another page, and failed to properly format it, normally there would be several shorter paragraphs. I'll try editing it to observe your suggestions and see how it sounds, thanks!

---------- Post added 29th Sep 2015 at 07:25 PM ----------

Thanks, I was kind of thinking that too. I haven't yet taken the time to modify that, but I'll see what I can do about making it sound better.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can only offer little tidbits here, but my main ones are such:

Try to find better verbs than "is" forms: I was, he was, they were, etc. These don't express much, just mean that something in the story just exists a certain way, and we should insert it into the scene. Usually the subject is doing something. If that's really the best way to say it, don't shy away. But some sort of activity, even abstract/figurative, goes a long way.

Contrast it with your first sentence which, IMO, is a bit flat and tells you too much outright. Ordinary people have no reason to see a ticking watch as terrifying and hypnotic; this way it teases out why the narrator's situation is different.

Small nitpick, but is "overwhelmingness" a word? There has got to be a better noun form of "overwhelming" that doesn't sound so clunky. Maybe go metaphorical and say the watch is a "bladed pendulum" of orderly clicking. It's a reference to "The Pit and the Pendulum," a classic horror story that conjures up the same feelings I imagine your narrator has while watching this menacing figure come closer.

As a final note, what about your narrator him/herself? All we know is that they feel they're in trouble; we can't even be certain they are about to die. Granted death is something most people will not be able to accept in stride, but maybe give your character a bit of personality so it's believable they fear death? How'd they get into this situation? Right now it seems like the setting is a sort of dungeon or interrogation room, just the two people in darkness. I like the dialogue at the end. He said "Your Grace" meaning your main character is nobility. Is this a political move? Interesting...

Your teaser paragraph is much better I think. A lot more unique with potential for creepy goings-on. You should check out the older writing thread. Tons of good stuff on there as well.

#7 Argentwing, Sep 29, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2015