1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good young adult LGBT+ books

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by bubbles123, Oct 2, 2015.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

The recent post made me think of this. I've been looking for a good LGBT+ book, not necessarily a soley romance book, just like young adult fiction book that I can relate to. Any suggestions?

2. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Mm I don't know if you personally can relate to it but I'm reading a book called Luna (I forget the authors name sorry) that is about a male-female transsexual and her sister. (The sister tells the story) So far it's mostly dealing with the issues of finding yourself and coming out. It's pretty good so far but I have not read a lot of YA LGBT literature so I don't know the scale exactly. But check it out anyway, I'm trying to understand other people more and I think it's helping.

#2 galaxygia, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  3. InfinityonHigh

I've read a few, there's Beautiful Music for Ugly Children which is about a teenage trans guy who does music and stuff. I'm still in the middle of one called Openly Straight. They're both alright, but fanfiction is still my favorite.

4. Mateo

I like a lot from Julie Anne Peters. Her best is "Keeping You A Secret" which is about lesbians, while most of J.A.P's books edge on the romantic side the are not strictly romance. She has one called "Between Mom and Jo" which is about a boy with two moms and gets caught up in the middle of their break up

My favorite so far has been "Hello, Groin" (sounds weirder than it is)

I'v got a whole list of lgbt books

5. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan. Just finished it today, actually. It's pretty good

6. Willa

"Hornito: My Lie Life," by Mike Albo
    "Fingersmith," by Sarah Waters
    "Tipping the Velvet," by Sarah Waters
    "Rubyfruit Jungle," by Rita Mae Brown
    "Boy Meets Boy," by David Levithan
    "Giovanni's Room," by James Baldwin

Some of these are more adult books, but I believe in challenging young readers with serious concepts and interesting writing styles rather than constantly handing them the same "They fall in love, love complicates but eventually resolves the plot" books, whether it's Harry Met Sally, Harry Met Harry, or Sally Met Sally. Check these out. A few of them are considered queer classics.

7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah Openly Straight! Really good book about a boy who goes to a new school and decides not to be openly gay anymore. It's very interesting.