1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Well of Loneliness -extracts

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ccdd, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I've been reading "The Well of Loneliness" by Radclyffe Hall (about a woman, an "invert" - what we would nowadays call trangendered - who falls in love with women), which was published in 1928 and banned on publication. I haven't finished it yet, but some bits have actually made me cry, and really, really touched me like few books have. I just thought I'd post a few extracts here (there are many, many, many that really talk to me but here are some). I don't think there are really any spoilers for those who want to read the book but I suppose I should do a general warning anyway...

Here are some extracts (sorry, this is long!):

"On the wedding day not a few eyes would be wet at the sight of so youthful a man and maiden ‘joined together in an honourable eestate, instituted of God in the times of man’s innocency,’ For such ancient traditions – in spite of the fact that man’s innocency could not even survive one bite of an apple shared with a woman – are none the less apt to be deeply moving. There they would kneel, the young newly wed, ardent yet sanctified by a blessing, so that all, or at least nearly all, they would do, must be considered both natural and pleasing to a God in the image of man created. And the fact that this God, in a thoughtless moment, had created in His turn those pitiful thousands who must stand forever outside His blessing, would in no way disturb the large congregation or their white-surpliced pastor, or the couple who knelt on the gold-braided, red velvet cushions...So now Stephen [a woman] must actually learn at first hand how straight can run the path of true love, in direct to time-honoured proverb. Must realize more clearly than ever, that love is only permissible to those who are cut in every respect to life’s pattern; must feel like some ill-conditioned pariah, hiding her sores under lies and pretences."

"She would think with a kind of despair: What am I, in God’s name – some kind of abomination?’ And this thought would fill her with a great anguish, because, loving much, her love semmed to her sacred. She could not endure that the slur of those words should come anywhere near her love."

"...But she loved, and loving groped for the God who had fashioned her, even unto this bitter loving."

‘You’re neither unnatural, nor abominable, nor mad; you’re as much a part of what people call nature as anyone else; only you’re unexplained as yet – you’ve not got your niche in creation. But some day that will come, and meanwhile don’t shrink from yourself, but just face yourself calmly and bravely. Have courage; do the best you can with your burden. But above all be honourable. Cling to your honour for the sake of those others who share the same burden. For their sakes show the world that people like you and they can be as selfless and fine as the rest of mankind...’ [I LOVE this extract!]

"A pair of lovers walking arm in arm – just a quiet engaged couple, neither comely nor clever nor burdened with riches; just a quiet, engaged couple – would in her envious eyes be invested with a glory and pride passing all understanding. For were Angela and she those fortunate lovers, they could stand before Anna [her mother] happy and triumphant."

"Her love had been pure in the eyes of the world, for she had been able to indulge in it with honour. Still, with honour, she had borne a child to her mate – but a child who, unlike her, must go unfulfilled all her days, or else live in abject dishonour."

"What remained? Loneliness, or worse still, far worse because it so deeply degraded the spirit, a life of perpetual subterfuge, of guarded opinions and guarded actions, of lies of omission if not of speech, of becoming an accomplice in the world’s injustice by maintaining at all times a judicious silence, making and keeping the friend’s one respected, on false pretences, because if they knew they would turn aside"

"Yet it was trying to get her under, this world with its mighty self-satisfaction, with its smug rules of conduct, all made to be broken by those who strutted and preened themselves on being what they considered normal. They trod on the necks of those thousands of others who, for God knew what reason, were not made as they were; they prided themselves on their indignation, on what they proclaimed as their rightous judgements. They sinned grossly; even viley at times, like lustful beasts – but yet they were normal! And the vilest of them could point a finger of scorn at her, and be loudly applauded."