1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nightmare on elm street

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Justinian20, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Justinian20

Yass, I have gotten one of the classic horror series in time for a Halloween marathon 8 nightmare on elm streets and they are the Craven ones, not the remake despite the remake not being that bad.

2. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Nightmare on Elm Street!!! Tho it's been a long time since I have watched the movies. Guys, what's your favorite scene in all of NOES movies?

3. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I watched Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time a month ago. It was a creepy movie. There is something so scary about old horror movies that make the effects look so real.

4. Justinian20

Horror is the best genre for less special effects in so many circumstances which is why older horror is considered much better than new horror.

5. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For sure. I'm still absolutely scared of the Exorcist, which seemed to have a lot of similar elements to Nightmare on Elm Street.

Remember the scene with the girl convulsing on the ceiling, and then her getting cut open? That scene was beyond disturbing.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the NOES series. Dream Warriors is probably my favorite, next to the original.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The first major film series I ever really got into, so A Nightmare on Elm Street has a unique place in my life.

It should have ended with the original film, but if I have to accept sequels, then it must conclude with Part 3: Dream Warriors. The second film is horrible and a Godawful way to end the series. Avoid Part 2: Freddy's Revenge.

But my personal favorite is Part 4: The Dream Master. It has some awkward scenes (like the quicksand scene; is she scared or having an orgasm?), but it's the one I've seen the most. To me, it really shows you what a selfish bastard Freddy is -- when he, finally, obtains his revenge... instead of returning to Hell, he decides to do his own thing. What little sympathy he had, is gone. It's a double fuck you.

Part 5: The Dream Child isn't bad from an aesthetic viewpoint, it just lacks in coherency. Though I do like the idea of Freddy using an unborn child's dreams to find a loophole to the dreaming-thing, as well as the abortion undertones -- basically, does Alice abort her baby to stop Freddy, or allow it to live and have the right to do so? It's interesting, but not addressed enough. The comic book scene is, by far, the highlight of this film... including Freddy skateboarding... yeah... let that sink in for a second.

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare... while goofy, didn't try and force Freddy to be scary. I mean, by this point he was already the wise cracking clown in pop culture. All this film did was run with that and attempt to end it. While I find it pretty boring, there are a few amusing scenes -- like the bed-on-fire one, black man beating Freddy with a baseball bat, a video game dream-death, and Looney Tunes fall-onto-a-bed-of-spikes scene, it's so lazily stupid it can be kind of funny. It's still a weak finish to the series and the 3D effects have not aged well.

New Nightmare is worth a watch. I found it sort of dull. If it wasn't Freddy Krueger in the movie, it could pass as almost any supernatural horror film.

What is my favorite scene? Well, there's a few...

If you mean kill scenes, then that belongs to the marionette death in Part 3. But if you mean, period, that would have to be Freddy's pimp strut in Part 4. He only does it for a second, but it happens a little after he enters the dream cathedral and says, "Welcome to Wonderland, Alice" to, well, Alice. It's such a quick and subtle scene, but it shows confidence -- which stems from the fact, at this point in the Elm Street series, Freddy is at his peak. He is his most powerful. He's gotten his revenge, now he's just being a fucking dick to random kids.

I like underdog stories, and Alice definitely fit that in 4. She was just thrown into the situation, and had to hit the ground running. But I like seeing cocky bastards get knocked down a few pegs, which 4 delivered.

8. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Watched Nightmare on Elm Street when I was 13 with my mum.
    Dad was'nt around and we both ended up pretty scared lol :wink:

9. Atreyo

Atreyo Guest

I'll have you know that I rather enjoy A Nightmare on Elm Street 2. Sure, Freddy doesn't really apply to the rules established by the first movie, but it's still an interesting entry. And with a male protagonist to boot. How many horror films of the 80's have male protagonists? Especially one declared the Scream King? Lol!

I think it's much better than some of the sequels that came after as Freddy could still be seen as some type of threat (and was very menacing), rather than a comedian.

10. candyjiru

I feel like this is something I need to marathon, but the first one was so nicely encapsulated... hmm... My favorite series is the Puppet Master series~ totally crazy XD;;;

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Freddy's Revenge is really corny, so it fails in coming off as a darker Horror film, which it wanted to be. What plays a role in me not liking it very much, is the fact they can't seem to balance the humor with the horror, which is what they're going for. None of the scenes feel... serious. Take for example, the pool party scene. Freddy is shorter than everybody there, he's grunting and just... acting goofy. Yes, he is slashing and stabbing, but it plays out like a child with a violent attitude problem.

The male protagonist is practically worthless. He spends most of the film screaming, crying, or running around. I don't expect him to be Rambo, but my God, this is the kid Freddy wanted to possess?

It's painfully obvious Mr. Craven's absence with this film, and how New Line wanted to milk the series in an attempt for profit. I don't knock them for that, it's what 80s Horror did best. And without Freddy's Revenge, I wouldn't have 3 or 4. But the difference between it and, say, Friday the 13th Part 2 or Halloween II is, while the special effects and content may be outdated, they don't feel ridiculous.

It took a very dumb and awkward (in my opinion) "power of love" scene to kill Freddy. I don't mind those, but you have got to act those scenes out better. Just look at Freddy's face next time, when he's rapidly shaking his head saying, "No, Jesse's dead!", when they're in the old warehouse/factory -- his lips don't even match~!

And the tone he uses, it sounds more half-assed sarcastic than defiantly evil.

One of the funniest scenes in the entire film, happens during the pool party scene. When Freddy-Jesse is chasing what's-her-name, she gets to the glass double doors, but they seem to be stuck/locked. Anyway, she turns around and there's Freddy... he's totally still for a moment and then, for no reason, he knocks over a vase like a dick. Like, why? Why not stab the bitch? You trying to hurt her feelings first? LOL...

I understand why this film doesn't appeal to me. But I can accept that, that this point in the series nothing was really established. I can accept that Freddy, for whatever reason, has the razor-blades coming out of his fingers as opposed to being attached to a glove. But this doesn't excuse the delivery of certain lines and actions, which leave me feeling amused -- in the wrong way -- or awkward.

You are right about Freddy becoming more of a clown, but what else could you do? Pop culture had taken him and that was that. He can't be as terrifying as he once was anymore. However, the wise cracking should have been kept in check -- there is an appropriate balance for it, like in the first film or even the third one. Hell, as much as I dislike Freddy's Revenge, even it got it right with one line:

"You've got the body, I've got the brains!", as Freddy peels back his skin to show, well, his brain.

Then you have exploding birds... super-mega-important diaries just being left behind by previous owners... towel-spanking on the ass... midget Freddy bouncing around acting all tough... vase breaking... POWER OF LOVE moment... and don't get me started on:

[YOUTUBE]AjfAy917gHg[/YOUTUBE]​

#11 Kaiser, Oct 29, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I just watched the 1st one for the first time the other night. While not a perfect film by any means it holds up as a horror classic with plenty of creative and innovative ideas for it's time. It's interesting to me how Freddy's character sort of evolved throughout the series into the more comedic villain that he's mostly known as. Cause in the 1st movie even though he fucked with the victims on occasion he still pretty much killed them all in straightforward ways, instead of turning them into bugs or something crazy. So you can see how it's the sequels with some of the more ridiculous death scenes and one liners that inform our idea of what Freddy is, moreso than the original, since he wasn't necessarily always like that.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I have one major issue with the original film. It may not be like this on every single release, but the few editions I have owned, from VHS to DVD, have always had this problem:

The soundtrack in the original film is too fucking loud. It just annihilates the ear drums when it's an intense moment, so much so you turn it down -- and then the dialogue is too soft to hear!

But in terms of remarks, I still say Freddy talked the rawest to the kids in Part 3. Especially "Wizard Master" kid. God damn, that was just... a dick move on Freddy's part.

14. Justinian20

It's so iconic as a horror series, Freddy is a very different horror villain, (taunts people as he kills them), I actually agree so far out of three movies that Freddy's Revenge is the least interesting one, but it isn't bad at all. I have to say Freddy is like a cat playing with it's prey, just the brutal treatment he gives everyone, in a way it is comedic but it's a good line between comedy and horror because he is taking so much pleasure from it.

15. wolf of fire

I love this franchise and Freddy is my second favourite killer.
    If I made it Freddy's revenge would have come between dream child and Freddy's dead with dream warriors being the sequel.
    Overall a very clever idea and premise.

16. justabluegirl06

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    definitely in the third one when freddy says 'welcome to prime time bitch!"
    fucking iconic.

#16 justabluegirl06, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  17. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man, I love this series, most of the movies are really creepy (ignoring 5 & 6). New Nightmare is definitely my favourite of the series and is one of my favourite movies because I find it to be more psychological than the others.

I'm also one of the few people who really enjoyed the remake to the point of enjoying it more than the original. Mostly because I found it to be more creepy and disturbing, plus having Rooney Mara helped. :lol:

18. guitar

I love the Dokken one (#3 I think?)

19. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I love those movies :grin:
    Especially the first and the third ones.

20. angeluscrzy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    80's horror movies were the background of my whole childhood I think. God, seen every NOES, every Friday, every Halloween, such good times. Used to go to the video store every chance I could and scan the horror section for the next great thing.

#20 angeluscrzy, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015