1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Progressive Rock & Metal?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Images and Words, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Images and Words

A progressive rock/metal appreciation thread. I've seen a surprisingly large amount of people here who love the genres, so I wanted to start a thread to discuss said amazing genre.
    (*hug*) to all my fellow prog fans.

2. rolling orange

Out Status:
    Some people
    Prog is life! I'm not really into progressive metal but PROG. (also prog rock is kind of a special interest to me so I love threads like these)

What's your favourite bands?

#2 rolling orange, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  3. Images and Words

My favourite bands on the prog rock side of things are Yes, Van Der Graaf Generator, Iraklis and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. I'll extend the same question to you. What prog bands do you like?

4. CyclingFan

Unfortunately I was utterly exhausted so I missed seeing Mastodon last month. I'd just been traveling and it all caught up to me. Saw about five songs of the opener, Intronaut, and they were pretty solid.

5. rolling orange

Out Status:
    Some people
    I love both Yes and ELP, their 70's stuff is amazing. I also adore Rush (Rush is probably my favourite right now) and Genesis, and of course I like other prog bands like Pink Floyd and King Crimson. I have listened a little to VdGG, but very much.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Dream Theater and Tool are good. I think they both fall under prog.

\m/

#6 Invidia, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  7. Higs

I like some Dream Theater, not all, and some Sonata Arctica, I think they are prog too.

Usually prog songs are hit or miss for me, prefer folk variation of rock and metal.

8. guitar

Queensryche is my favorite band - in fact I've interviewed most of the band at different times. Massive fan of Fates Warning, Max Webster, Dream Theater, Gentle Giant, Circus Maximus, and a bunch of other prog-power bands like Balance of Power as well. There's a lot of great Jazz fusion stuff like Al DiMeola as well which is insanely complex at times.

9. Images and Words

I'm sorry... you've interviewed Queensryche? That must have been fucking amazing! Bet it was a blast! I like pretty much all of the bands you've listed there. Dream Theater being ultimately my favourite. The only one on the list I haven't listened to loads is Max Webster. Will have a listen now. :grin:

10. guitar

I've interviewed Tate 3x, Wilton, and Rockenfeld, as well as other people related to the band. I'm a weee bit obsessed lol. In fact ScottRock & I hit it off so well during the interview, he gave me backstage passes which was a dream come true. I also got backstage passesfor Tatesryche last year but ended up getting insanely sick the night of the show.

Max Webster are basically 70s Rush. So much so that they were besties with Rush in the 70s, used the same producer,and even recorded a song together called Battle Scar. Their guitarist Kim Mitchell went into a very successful solo career in Canada & is a rock icon in this country. Amazing guitar player. Try their songs In Context of the Moon, Beyond the Moon, and In the World of Giants. :slight_smile:

11. valkyrie4488

valkyrie4488 Guest

Hope this is an okay place to post this. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I've read over the rules closely, and this is only a video. No channel link or any personal info is contained in the video either so it should be okay, and it's really no different than the pictures I have in my profile. Also, I take personal responsibility sense it is in fact my video. With all respect just saying. :slight_smile: Doing a Bass cover of Ain't Talkin Bout Love by Van Halen, and just thought I would share. Hope I didn't do too terribly. lol

[YOUTUBE]0CdcAxz_Mn8[/YOUTUBE]

12. Helicoprion

Out Status:
    A few people
    The only prog rock I find myself listening to is prog/folk, and the only prog metal I really like is Cormorant.
    That said, it's a good genre.

13. Images and Words

Iraklis is pretty much the only prog folk I listen to, but that's bloody good, so I can probably see myself getting into more of the genre at some point.

14. Ryujin

Rush, Marillion, IQ, Dream Theater and Symphony X at the ones I like to listen to. Prog isn't my fav genre, but it's defo up there.

15. Images and Words

IQ are a great band! Not a huge fan of Road of Bones, but some of their other stuff is great. Have you listened to bands like Arena? Similar stuff to IQ (Neo-prog) - they're pretty good.

16. AxxeMyrmidon

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love prog! My favorite bands are Rush, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator and Starcastle.

17. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You people have mentioned lots of awesome bands, but does anyone know The Black Noodle Project? :3
    Except them, I'm much into Porcupine Tree, Riverside and anything by Devin Townsend. And middle Katatonia, if counts.

18. Ryu

Ryu

My favorite prog album is Trilogy by ELP, mainly because it's the only one I have yet.

Emphasis on yet.

19. lemur4

Periphery is a great band. I'm not sure if they would fall into this category... maybe djent. but if y'all have ANY recommendations, I'm in search of a instrumental band that plays jazzy metal, but in major keys. I listened to animals as leaders but a lot of their stuff is sometimes very fast and cluttered.

20. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Any of you guys listen to King Crimson?