1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laptop overheating

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ccdd, Jan 17, 2009.

1. ccdd

ccdd Guest

Hey, I know nothing about computers so I was wondering if any of you could help me...

Basically, my laptop has started to get very hot, and has turned itself off a few times over the last couple of months because of this. It's a bit under a year and a half old and has never done this before. It has also, in the last week, started to go funny when I play DVDs, playing them really slow. I'm wondering if this is connected to the overheating thing. As I said it's just under a year and a half old and is an Advent 7211, if that means anything to anyone. I use it everyday, often all day.

I've just this moment placed four coasters under its four corners so that air can go underneath it, and cleared my stuff away from near the fan on the side. I don't know if this will work. Is there anything I can do or buy (hopefully not too expensive) that can solve the problem? And do you think the DVD-playing problems are related?

Thanks!

2. starfish

There are two likey causes. Either a failed fan or clogged air intake. If the problem is the former the system will need to opened and the fan replaced. I would suggest getting some cannrd compressed air and blow out the intake and exhust vents. This may fix it if the probem is the later.

I would also suggest minizing use of the system until the problem is resolved.

3. Bunny

Ooh, be careful. My laptop was overheating a while back, eventually it starting smoking and the motherboard was fried. o-o

Had to get all its insides replaced.

4. Danniluv

My sister had this problem a few years back. Starfish is absolutely right. Maybe try to have it looked at by a professional if you have a repair plan?

5. Doglover

Mm, classic problem, mine used to do it for a while. Just remember, technology loves air. If it doesn't get enough air, it 'suffocates', if you will, gets hot, and 'dies'.

To solve it, give it more air. Prop it up with books, or something about like that, I used my text books which are about 2 inches thick. Use two, spread them so that the center of the bottom of the laptop is exposed to air. (That's usually where the fan is.) Then just put the laptop in the middle of the two books and viola. This should solve your overheating problems, if it doesn't consider taking it into a best buy or something like that, as it could be technical problems.

(The cheap, temporary solution. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

6. Derek the Wolf

But it in a place with better ventilation and clean the exterior. Dust and such.
    If it's still overheating there may be a part that needs replaced. Get a diagnostic program to monitor your computer's CPU and Hard Drive temperatures. If they go over a certain point, shut it down.

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For a diagnostic program I recommend Speedfan:
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Is the fan moving air? If not it could be broken fan or clogged heatsink.

If it is moving air but still overheating, it may be poor contact between the CPU and the heatsink.