1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Leftovers

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RawringSnake, Nov 16, 2015.

1. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, I can't keep it to myself anymore. Is anyone here watching The Leftovers? Please come forth. I need to freak out.

2. myloveralice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Doesn't seem that easy for it to be the end of Kevin, does it?

#2 myloveralice, Nov 17, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    OMG! SOMEONE!

Oh I don't believe for a second that Kevin is dead for good. Did you see the look in Michael's face when he came into the trailer? He was visibly shaken, but not surprised. I'm pretty sure his grandfather gave him a role to play. I'm assuming he is taking Kevin to the ER, but I have read speculation from more perceptive viewers that think he is gonna bury Kevin, only for him to come back to life 3 days later—just like the birds in Erika's shoebox. (The Jesus allegory is not lost on me, and frankly it would be very in sync with how the show portrays Kevin as this special person the universe seems to be in love with.)

Another theory that's picking up traction concerns Virgil's suicide; Some people have pointed out that "Virgil" is the name of Dante's guide in the Divine Comedy, the implication here being that maybe Virgil had to die in order to guide Kevin on the other side. I wouldn't put it past Lindelof, that's for sure.

#3 RawringSnake, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  4. myloveralice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I agree with you about Kevin. He has been almost dead more than once before.. It does seem like Michael and his grandfather were conspiring before Kevin showed up, like they knew he was coming and making plans. I'll be interested to see how Michael fits into all of this because I'm starting to think he is pretty important to this story.

I don't blame Kevin though. He's got Nora in one ear and Laurie in the other. And Patty in his head.

5. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't forget Jill being all passive-aggressive in the distance, silently judging everything he does lol.

I was also thinking that it's actually kinda convenient for both Kevin and Nora to disappear right now, since they have both basically declared war to their Murphy counterparts. Nora and Erika are already throwing fist-sized rocks at each other, and now that John has Kevin's palm-print... Things are gonna get really ugly, really soon. Maybe it's for the best that Kevin is dead for the time being.

I wonder what they are gonna do with the whole Tommy subplot tho. That's the only part of the show I have no idea whatsoever how it's supposed to fit back into the main plot. I hope they also find a way to work Meg into the story again. I liked Meg, and I like her even more now that the Guilty Remnant have become this mafia-cult hybrid with her as the head honcho. It would be great if we could get an episode from her POV, maybe learn how raping guys and threatening arson became part of her day-to-day? That would be nice :grin:

#5 RawringSnake, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  6. myloveralice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was going to comment on the same thing with Meg. She went from follower to cult leader to rapist? and in the preview clip she is with the fake prophet in the car/ I'm dying to know how this fits in with the story as a whole and what the hell they are doing together. Why does Meg want to send a message to Laurie?

Kevin's character drives the whole show, there is no way they would kill him. This isn't Game of Thrones :wink: And besides, now that John does have his handprint it is going to get more interesting. I loved how Patty said, " You went there to get free and you got caught"

So are they secondary departures? Nora certainly is having a difficult time digesting this lens idea.

7. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know this thread doesn't have a future because me and myloveralice seem to be the only ones around here watching one of the best shows airing right now, but I just wanted to say that we were right!

ALL of our predictions came to be! HAHAHAHA This is exhilarating! I feel like we out-Lindelof'ed Lindelof! Virgil did kill himself so he could be Kevin's guide on the other side, just like in the Divine Comedy. Michael did bury Kevin and he did come back to life once his ordeal with Patti in Purgatory was done, just like the birds in Erika's shoebox! I wonder if it has been three days tho. I sure as fuck hope it's been three days. I mean, you can't just pull such a blatant Jesus allegory out of your ass and then half-ass it!

Anyway, for the first time ever watching The Leftovers, I got as close as I'm ever gonna get to understanding everything that was happening, as it was happening, for the entirety of an episode. I got it! Without any expository dialogue to help me through! We did it! I wanna thank the community of Leftovers viewers, first of all for their excellent taste in TV, as well as their keen intellect—filling in the knowledge and interpretative gaps of my philistine brain, inadvertently preparing me for this could-be-mind-fuck of an episode.

10/10 ladies and gents

#7 RawringSnake, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  8. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sidenote: Forgot to mention, one thing I did not see coming at all (because there always has to be at least one of those in every episode of The Leftovers) was the revelation of why Kevin smokes. That wasn't even on my radar as a mystery that needed resolving, but somehow they managed to turn something that seemed so mundane into one of the most brilliant (and illuminating) bits of character development I've seen in a show that's already rich with those. Holy hell, they were just two short sentences answering the question "Why do you smoke?" And yet (and yet) I'm rethinking everything I thought I knew about Kevin because of them. Like I said, brilliant!

#8 RawringSnake, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  9. myloveralice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Great episode last week and I'm looking forward to tonights.

One thing I didn't expect was the way it played out with Patty once Kevin was dead. The little girl threw me for a loop, and the well (which was a little funny when he just pushed her in because she wouldn't STFU).

Michael was totally surprised too. A man of faith having doubts

10. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I felt like I was watching a David Lynch film, but, you know, one that actually made sense. Yes, when Kevin just pushed the little girl it was hilarious in a very dark way. Also, Patti's jeopardy monologue floored me for some reason. She did say that she was gonna fight Kevin like hell, and that she did, just not the way we expected. She used every manipulative tactic at her disposal, and came very close to breaking Kevin's resolve more than a couple of times (I know she broke mine, I didn't want him to kill her by the time they were both in the well).

Just two more episodes now, and I wonder... What did the man with the nooses whispered to Kevin on the bridge?

#10 RawringSnake, Nov 29, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  11. myloveralice

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No kidding! David Lynch is very bizarre. I still don't know wtf happened in Inland Empire and Mulholland Drive took me multiple views and an explanation for me to sort of understand.

Didn't see that coming with Evie

12. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Starting it now from the first episode!

13. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know everything we've said sounds like gibberish to the uninitiated, but in time it will make [some sort of] sense, and this will all be very spoilerish. Ignore all the posts above you for the time being lol.

14. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Almost finished with season 1!

#14 justin88, Dec 1, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2015