1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The witches

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Canterpiece, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So have any of you ever seen the film or read the book "The witches" by Roald Dahl? I feel in the mood to speculate, so here goes. The whole depiction of the "witches" in general seem very similar to stereotypes that people tend to hold towards gay women, and considering some of the author's personal views and the time he grew up in it doesn't seem all that far fetched to me. I had a particular quote in mind that I've been trying to find actually, one that stood out the first time I read it (well, I've read some of it) but I can't seem to find it.

I remember it mentioning that they could only wear comfortable shoes (possibly something about sports/golf in there, I can't really remember it very well) and not pretty stuff like "real/proper women", and how they look and dress like ordinary women but "one could be living next door to you right now", how they hate children, and how you might be able to avoid them until you're older.

I dunno, it just seems very similar to something you'd see on a 1950's special on homosexuality or something. Yes, I know I could just be reading into this too much and looking for things that aren't there, but still... that's just the first thing I thought of when I saw that part. I wish I could find the quotes in context, but umm yea I guess it doesn't seem as convincing now I've put this actually, what do I know I see subtext in everything. :lol: Surely I'm not the only one who thought this when they got to the part where the grandma is explaining what the witches are like to the main character and describes the witches. Maybe I'm just seeing things?

2. ResidentTheatreKid

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have read it, but never thought about it in that way. Wow. It's a really freaky book XD

3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is indeed, never managed to finish the book though. Not sure what I did with that copy in the end.