1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer techies?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theworld, Jan 19, 2009.

1. theworld

any computer techs out there by chance? I love just about anything to do with them. Even when they cough up errors or don't work, it's fun to figure out why and fix it.

I'm a geek; I know. :confused:

2. techie01

Hi Fellow Geek :grin:

3. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I'll be majoring in Comp. Science when I start uni so I guess you could classify me as one :wink: .

My specialty is PHP Programming, but I do a lot of computer building as well :grin:

4. theworld

sweet...have you studied C++ at all? I'm taking that now as one of my electives.

5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I've kind of taught some of it to myself...PHP is like C++, but doesn't focus as much on memory, so I'm having trouble figuring out floating variables and different types of variables (int, double, long, short, etc) lol.

I'll be in an Intro to Comp Science class next week (2nd semester starting) that teaches java though :wink: . I've also learned VB.

6. theworld

hahaha, you're a lot farther on than me. I'm barely understanding the really basic stuff about C++.

7. Greggers

I started on my BA of CIS, looots of Java, C++, networking...

Yea, i hate it haha. Im an artist not a coder, and for awhile i didnt see a huge difference...now i do haha. So now im going for Graphic Design and im much more happy :slight_smile: (but every once in awhile ill slip into my old programmer mode heh)

8. Trystan

mee, I'm a techie of sorts...

not really looked at coding much, but if I need to fix something, I find the source and crash-teach my self until it works :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: fiddled with perl a bit, picked up the basics in a couple of weeks last year. That's it really (though I run Linux, so I think that qualifies too :slight_smile:)

9. JustAnotherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I love C++, although that may have something to do with doing it for my course over the last two years.

Although now I've learnt C++, we've gone back to VB and it is taking me time to get my head round it all again :grin:

10. Apocalypte

<-- Final year BSc Comp Sci student

Used to work tech support, hated it. Decided to go back after a year of working to do the honours year, because I was so sick of putting up with stupid people (both the callers and the management!).

Taking courses in Wireless Networking, Connectionist Computing, Computational Linguistics (<3) and Multi-Agent Systems at the moment. Also trying to work on my thesis.

11. Adam

I love computer stuff, I was going to college in the microcomputer technology program but I stopped going...I hope to go back and finish sometimes but right now I just don't want to deal with it.

12. theworld

microcomputer technology? cool, ummm...what's that? sorry I have no idea.

I'm still doing the most basic C++ VB programming course in high school.

13. Techcompu2

I am a computer geek too. proven by my username :slight_smile:

and that I animated the dell logo.

14. Urman

Urman Guest

computer geek here

15. theworld

got a comp question if any of you are still checking this post...older motherboards used to have limitations on how big, total GB's, the hard drive could be, right? I thought I heard that somewhere and didn't pay close attention to it because it didn't apply to me. Someone did ask me today, though, how big of a hard drive he could get for his laptop that is about 5 years old. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I said, if I remember correctly, either 120GB or 160GB, leaning toward the 120GB. Is that right?

16. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I think you are referring to limitations in the OS, not the mobo or BIOS.

17. theworld

I don't think it's the OS that has the limitation because XP, any version, can see all 1.5TB of the latest, bigest hard drive, right? I know the OS limits the amount of memory that can be seen.

I thought it was the mobo. maybe I'm mistaken. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. techie01

Hi :grin: I really don't know the answer to your question. I am sure if you get the make and model of the motherboard and look up the spec on the manufacturer's website you can get the maximum hard drive and compatible models!

19. starfish

Over the years there have been a few way to address the data space on ATA hard drives. You had the original CHS (Cylinder Head Sector). Which addresses the data by exactly like it name said. If the address space in the ATA standard for CHS ran out right about 500MB. So there was a switch to LBA (Logical Block Addressing), which abstracted CHS to reference blocks instead of a physical spot on the drive. This ran out at 4GB IIRC. Then LBA was extended to 32 bits which ran out at about 160GB. LBA was further extended to 48 bits. I don't recall its limit, but we won't get there for a while.

Systems started switching to 48 bit LBA about 4 or 5 years ago. So it would be right on the edge. Of course you don't have to worry, as a laptop that old will only have Parallel ATA and those top out at about 200GB. I would just pick up what ever drive you can get for $50 and be done with it.

Of course these limitations only refer to the BIOS. Once the OS is loaded it can use what ever addressing scheme it was. A trick in the old days, was to partition the drive and put the system files in a partition below the OS limits. OF course this would only work if you used an OS like Linux or Window NT that directly controlled the hard ware. It would not work with DOS or Windows 9x.

Like Dijkstra said, there is no problem in computer science that can not be solved with another level of indirection. So as long as you can start the system, the OS will be able to handle it. Though IIRC only Windows XP SP2 and later supported 48-bit LBA out of the box.

And yes I am a computer techie. I've been messing with computer for a long time. Lets just say I remember upgrading my Linux kernel to the then new 2.0 kernel. I don't do much PC stuff anymore. Nearly everything I do is on Big Iron.

#19 starfish, Jan 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  20. techie01

Wow you are full of knowledge Star! I know who I am going to for all my questions :grin: