1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Bats V Supes Trailer (Very Spoilery)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RawringSnake, Dec 3, 2015.

1. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For the first half of the trailer I was laughing my ass off at how self-aware this movie is, but by the time it ended I felt like I had just watched the entire plot of the movie in synopsis form. I liked everything I saw, but I do not like the nagging suspicion that I might have just seen everything worth seeing about this movie.

Here's the aforementioned trailer:

[YOUTUBE]yViIi3gie2c[/YOUTUBE]​

I mean, we all knew there had to be a third, bigger threat in this movie so Batman and Superman had to join forces for the greater good instead of killing one another (as well as to justify Wonder Woman's inclusion), but did we really need to see the resurrected Zod in this trailer? Fucking hell, teasing Lex as the insidious villain operating right under Batman and Superman's noses would have been enough to drive home the point. I understand that in the face of the overwhelming response to the Civil War trailer Warner Bros. is feeling insecure and felt like they had to retaliate with something just as big, but being this reactionary might bite them in the ass in the long run. Really, calm the fuck down WB, Bats V Supes is coming out in March and Civil War is coming out in May, that's not what I would call direct competition; they are a month apart, no one is gonna skip over your movie because they have to see Civil War on the same night. Also, maybe next time don't start promoting your movie so prematurely and then you won't run out of new material to show near the release? If you hadn't started your marketing campaign 3 years in advance maybe the only thing left for you to wow us wouldn't be the fucking ending of the movie.

Anyway, I have never followed Supes' storylines or character because I always found him extremely boring as a concept, so I don't know how accurate Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Lex Luthor is. By the amount of outrage I'm seeing in social media, I will guess not very. I don't care (I have no reason to lol), I'm living for it. Guy is hilarious and injects a much needed dose of levity in a movie that would have otherwise risked taking itself too seriously (Man of Steel's main flaw in my opinion).

Disclaimer: It is possible to be excited about both Bats V Supes and Civil War at the same time. That said, it is also very fun to argue about which one is gonna "win" and our overall preferences in the never-ending Marvel vs. DC argument, so feel free to engage in some of that too (not like you needed me to tell you that).

#1 RawringSnake, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You beat me to making this thread! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm not sure if I've expressed my views on the movie thus far on ec, buuuut
    Yuck. This is just so.... Yuck.

First bone to pick: Lex Luther. Wtaf. Eisenberg isn't a good choice. Because of all the angst of everything else, Luther looks like he's going to be our comic relief, but not even in the devilishly clever way that he can be in the comics or animated pieces. Which is dumb. Lex is not an awkward geek, and the performance of the character we've seen so far would be better suited to someone like the Riddler. Plus he's got hair. I get that this is a younger U but.. cmon. This dudes got flowing locks.

Next bone to pick: Too many people. I get that they were going for baby Justice League and whatever, but there's just too much going on for each character to be fully developed and actually made important. I think this is going to be another movie that gets lost to its plot. It feels like they are forcing the interconnected movie U, similar to what Marvel did, but it's just weird. Doesnt feel necessary to shove it in our faces.

Third bone: Affleck :frowning2: His Wayne performance is weird, and kinda starchy. His Batman looks okay, I guess, and looks like he's going to be a bit quieter than previous takes on the character, which will be a nice change. Batman is always super talkative in the live action movies, which doesn't make sense to me. But, it was only a short trailer, so my estimates about the movie don't have much of a basis.

Final bone: the robot batsuit thingy?? This isn't the end of a Power Rangers episode
    Of course, those thoughts are all from a very grumpy batfan who just wants DC to cut it out with the movies for a bit.. :grin:

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Clark Kent should wear glasses more often

4. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Clark Kent should wear better glasses. These are huge, and no, Clark, not even huge enough to hide the fact that it should be abundantly obvious to everyone that you are Superman. There is a giant statue with your face on it. I'm gonna be really pissed if no one in the movie points out that Clark and Superman are identical (lampshade it, damn it).

All perfectly understandable points (though I dig the Robo-Bats get up). While we are picking bones...

Is anyone else bothered by how bland Doomsday looks? He looks so generic I didn't even realize he was supposed to be Doomsday until someone pointed out to me. Hopefully this isn't even his final form. Constantly evolving to counter threats is kind of his shtick, afterall.

That said, I do like the twist of including the character renowned for killing Supes (for the first time, anyway) back in the day. Ominous. No chance in hell that's happening in this movie, but still.

And another nitpick: Bats' ears. Like, the ear-thingies protruding from his cowl. They are too small. He looks like a kitty. Kittyman. Overall I really dislike his costume in this movie (and the bat-insignia is the ugliest I've ever seen), but at least I understand what they were going for (a more classic, less armory look). Except for the kitty ears.

#4 RawringSnake, Dec 3, 2015
  5. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess it's time for me to play the grumpy comic book nerd.

For me personally, the trailer made sure that I'm not looking forward to it.

Jesse Eisenberg's version of Lex seems completely wrong, his voice sounds more fitting for the Joker than the deep, booming voice that I think of when it comes to the character.

I really hate the Batsuit, it looks so bulky and the Bat emblem looks as ugly as it does in Frank Miller's Batman comics. The acting also seems to be pretty bland especially with the second half of the trailer

Although, the conversation between Clark and Bruce and having Wonder Woman be a badass did certainly make me like it a bit.

Also, I've never seen Ben Affleck since Daredevil, but he got pretty good-looking with age. :lol:

6. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Watch him in Gone Girl or Argo, he has even developed some acting (and directing) skills!

#6 RawringSnake, Dec 3, 2015
  7. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I semi-agree with a lot of what you guys are saying. BUT WONDER WOMAN THOUGH. About damn time.

8. 741852963

Oh god.

That...looks....awful.

1. That CGI?! The CGI in Fantastic Four in 2005 was more realistic. The way Batman's body looks when he grasps that building, it reminds me very, very, very much of CatWoman...and look how that went down.
    2. I know it's a comic, but I don't get the plot and I don't think this film helps to alleviate that. Why exactly would they be fighting? And surely Superman being superhuman could take down highly trained but ultimately non-super Batman any day of the week?
    3. Lex Luther/the diologue - is it meant to be a comedy? The Avengers just about got the balance right, this looks too cheesy.
    4. Wonder woman...seriously?

I'll wait for it to be on Netflix.

Suicide Squad on the otherhand, yes please.

#8 741852963, Dec 3, 2015
  9. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What's wrong with Wonder Woman?

10. 741852963

I've always found her a bit of a cheesy superhero, with her weaponry etc.

Plus her inclusion here just seems so artificial and, knowing? I had enough trouble suspending my disbelief to bring the Avengers all together at once in my head, and at least then there was decent enough explanation and backstory to justify it. But with this it just seems "oh hey look, there's Wonder Woman!". It feels more like the directors throwing the audience a bone.

11. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It looks interesting but I kinda feel like my dream of a faithful adaption of The Dark Knight Returns is slipping further away... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. thepandaboss

I'm just not impressed. For one, I've never been a huge Jesse Eisenberg fan. Annoys the crap out of me in every appearance he's been in. I'd like him a little better if he was just a straight-up character actor because he basically plays the same character every time. Gene Hackman could play a humorous Lex Luthor but he played Lex with a bit of swagger. Kevin Spacey injected menace into the character, which is what Lex Luthor needs to work.

I've heard rumors though that Eisenberg's Luthor is going to actually be Lex Luthor, Jr. Which might be interesting but you also have to consider that this is our only impression of the Luthor character in this established DC cinematic universe. It won't matter if this is a Sr or Jr, this is the only Luthor we're going to get.

CGI looks very unpolished. I feel like the Star Wars prequels looked better and those movies are over ten years old. Compared to the Marvel flicks, what we're seeing looks like crap. Doomsday kind of reminds me of that chocolate blob guy in Candyland.

I think my big problem with the idea of the film is how oversaturated it's going to feel. We've got Batman, we've got Superman. First of all, that's a hard concept to fuck up. But now we also have Wonder Woman, Aquaman, etc. The idea seems to be to smash everyone together and give everyone a spin-off. So if this movie fails (very unlikely that it's going to fail at the box office. But it may receive a lukewarm reception with the fans), there's not going to be a Wonder Woman movie or an Aquaman spin-off or whatever we're hoping for down the line.

The trailer itself just seems poorly cut (long, awkward shots). I'm going to hold out my reservations for the actual film but I'm really not too optimistic at this point.

13. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you think that about Wonder Woman's inclusion, wait until you see Aquaman and Cyborg—who are also in this, somehow. The subtitle "Dawn of Justice" isn't just a throwaway line, they want this movie to be the launching pad for the upcoming Justice League movie. Which, fine, I would be ok with them setting up JL if they weren't doing it in the same movie that already has one of the most interesting plot lines in comics, namely, Bats and Supes duking it out. You don't need all these extra plot-points! That alone is more than enough to have me salivating at the thought of this movie! I fear the main conflict will get diluted among all this other crap they are throwing in—Wonder Woman not withstanding, I'm with roryoswinpond, I love her inclusion.

All that said... I still loved the shit out of this trailer and I'm [now] very much looking forward to this movie :icon_mrgr #sorrynotsorry

#13 RawringSnake, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015
  14. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Ugh, this movie.. I think I'm gonna go watch civil war trailer again and try to forget that this exists.

15. Devil Dave

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I didn't even realise that guy was meant to be Lex Luther when I first watched the trailer, and I thought "oh, okay, some random geeky guy turns out to be the villain. good of them to save that surprise for the movie!"

I'm no superman fan, but surely Lex Luther should come across as being somewhat imposing and powerful even when standing in a room with Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne, instead of being the nerd standing between two jocks. Or have they deliberately aimed for that sort of juxtaposition with this casting choice?

I agree about the CGI batman clinging to a building resembling the Catwoman movie. Maybe they're still tweaking the CGI, and they just wanted to get this trailer out to keep fans interested?

I've got to say the Wonderwoman clip is the best part of the trailer.Not sure how they're going to handle the name Wonderwoman, though. A lot of the recent Batman and Superman movies seem to avoid using the names quite a lot (Dark Knight... Man of Steel...) so is Wonderwoman just going to be a cheesy nickname that the media gives her or something?

16. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, I apologize in advance if this is pedantic of me, but it's driving me insane.

Luthor*

#16 RawringSnake, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015