1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some atrocious poems composed by myself :(

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AlgebraicUchiha, Dec 14, 2015.

1. AlgebraicUchiha

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello, I intend to compile these poems into an epic one day. I composed the majority of them at the age of 12 and 13 years.

And thus, he had finally reached
    The destination where the mountains lay high.
    He grinned
    And set forward.
    Two guards,
    Clad in dazzling armor
    Leaped forward with vehemence
    Murderous rage glinting their axes.
    "State thy business," said the leader.
    "I hail from a place afar, where the seas sail clear and the Moon glows ever so bright. I seek here with a certain motive." said He.
    "Beware lad, sorrow itself can tell no tales of the oppression of this village. Leave tomorrow with the Sun hanging fresh in the sky, that is, unless thou wouldst like the sorrow manifested within thee." said the leader.
    And so, he saluted and ran off,
    Encountering a vendor obstructing his path.
    "I wouldst like to possess these items free of charge." said He.
    Thus, followed a long and heated argument until they reached a consensus.
    Today individuals sing about this occurrence as "The Great Barter."
    And He walked on......
    Into the town where the mountains lay high and the nefarious stay locked.....

...He waits for no one
    Endlessly laughing
    His smile reflects the surface of the Soul
    Cruel and Distorted
    In the dark, Numbing Void...

My childhood was a line
    It was not very fine
    And to this day,
    I walk upon the desolate land
    Desperately seeking to hold a hand
    The answers I sought, I am unable to find
    Are the answers to which I am quite blind
    Many are oblivious as to what lies,
    Beneath the depths of my eyes.
    I know this is injudicious to say
    But I shall lead you the way....

...Into the Storm
    Out of the Eye
    Enter the Forest
    Slay the Dragon
    Here is The Legend
    His Blade glints with a heroic rage,
    His eyes are composed of the Wisdom of the Old Days.
    A group of Orcs emerge from the ground.
    He and his group slice without a sound.
    Fast swings the blade,
    The Orc leader has a price to be paid,
    He charges,
    Yet The Legend stands, prevailing.
    He is the Legend.

Thank you for reading, and please do critique my poems.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're writing an epic? Wow, best of luck. That's beyond my ambition. O.O Also I'm assuming each paragraph is a separate poem and mostly want to talk about the first. So here goes. :slight_smile:

You start off by having mountains which "lay high." Saying something lays usually emphasizes that it's on the ground or some surface. To "lay high" makes a conflicting image in my head of a mountain range that is at first low, then high. I'm not saying it's wrong, but something like "stretch high" or some other strong imagery would be a better choice if you want to describe their height rather than the fact that they are located somewhere. I'd save mountains "laying" for placing them laterally, like if several of them "lay to the south."

Is there a reason to identify his destination with that particular word? By saying he "finally reached" it, we can infer that he started a journey meaning to get there. It frees up the place in the sentence to tell us more about the destination. Is it a land, a city, a kingdom or some other descriptor? It can give this line some great color rather than the fairly generic "destination."

When you talked about two guards leaping forward vehemently with murderous rage, I imagined them yelling battle cries and charging your traveler. I figured there was going to be a fight, but instead one talked to him. You might want to think about cooling down the hostility a bit, with an extension of "approached" or something similar. Leaping is a bit too dramatic for telling someone to state their business, even if they do have murderous rage. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Speaking of that, saying "murderous rage glinting their axes" sounds a little off. "Glinting" is reflecting, which doesn't make a lot of sense here. I imagine you want to imbue the axes with said rage. Could "tinting" work better? Or something like "murderous rage in the glint of their axes."

Quoted for a great line. It's a ton better than "words cannot express" which is way overused, and I love the personification of sorrow when describing just how terrible things are there. You may want to capitalize it as "Sorrow" as if it's the conscious embodiment of the idea.

This part is characteristic of an epic I think, skipping over all the minutia and getting right into the weird experiences of the hero. But what about the guys who were less than happy to see him? By saying your guy has a "certain motive" we still have no idea why he's traveling. And the leader of the guards said "leave tomorrow" but he chose to leave immediately in a hell of a hurry. Some explanations for what's going on would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

Just some grammatical gripes. You used "wouldst" correctly the first time, but not here. It's a second-person form for talking about the listener, usually with "thou." Stick with "would" here. :wink: And instead of a period after "charge" it should just be a comma, as well as making the H in He into lower case unless your hero is mighty enough to be talked about like a god. If he is, fine, but do it for every instance where you refer to him as he. Everything else is alright, although now I'm curious why our hero is asking for free stuff from a vendor hehe.

I love the idea of a fabled "Great Barter." Stellar idea, I'm serious. But you sort of gloss over how it was great (other than that it took forever) or what was even negotiated. Are we allowed to know at this point in the story what the hero was bartering for? I can see how it would be called great if he scored a deal from a notorious merchant, or used whatever item to turn the tide of a war or something, but it could be a keychain.

...the nefarious stay locked? I can see the repetition of the part about the mountains because it works as a bookend for this little excerpt of the bigger story, but this bit about the nefarious is totally cryptic, both figuratively and by the ambiguous wording. If it's Sealed Evil In A Can(TM) then it would be better to say "locked away" because your wording might mean there's a nefarious presence itself serving as the container for something else.

Whew. I don't know if I'm up for doing the others this intensely. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But I love the grandiose style you use, which reminds me of stories like Beowulf and their sweeping heroic exploits. I hope my comments helped. :slight_smile:

#2 Argentwing, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  3. AlgebraicUchiha

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!! :slight_smile: