1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iPod "washed"

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by nintenfreak92, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Explicit words will be used you have been warned!!!

FUUUUUCCCCKKKK!!!!!!! I accidentily left my iPod nano, 3rd gen, in my pocket of my jeans well i was in kind of a hurry and i forget it was in there. So me being the dumbass i am, ifucking washed it!!!!!!!!!!! How do i fix it??? I cant just fork out another $250 for a new one and my birthday isn't until july!!!! is there some way i can fix it?? there looks like a little water under the screen... and the ear vuds are dead, the spin cycle ripped them off... PLEASE IF I DONT GET THIS FIXED I AM FUCKED!!!!!

2. Miles D

first, CALM DOWN!!! (*hug*)

now, wait a day or so. just let it chill. plug it in, and if no response, turn on your oven to no more than 120 degrees and let it get warm for 10 minutes or so. or you can put it next to a heater. just so the water will evaporate. my friend's iPod didn't work for months, and he bought a new one, but six months later he plugged his old one in and it worked!!

you'll definitely need to buy a new set of earbuds, though, you can get a pretty cheap pair at bestbuy or even at rite aid/CVS.

good luck! :slight_smile:

3. Miles D

OOH and it might still be on warranty, in which case you can get it fixed by apple.
    and if you do end up having to buy a new iPod, apple does a trade-in program where they credit you some money towards a new iPod if you give them your old one!

4. Courtneyyy

I don't think water damage is under warranty.

5. Keiss

Austin, Texas / Charlotte, North Carolina
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, typically accidental damage is not covered under warranty.

The oven thing might work. The water needs to evaporate.

I fell into Lake Eire (long story) with my phone in my pocket. It was dead for months. The day I bought my new phone, it started working again. Out of the blue. :/

It's awkward how electronics work. Give it some time, and let it dry out.

6. musican

For phones that you get wet you're supposed to put them in rice because it will suck the water out, I'm not sure if that would work for ipods though.

7. Jerr

Rice. Rice would be safer then the oven... you haven't shown the best uh... remembering skills and forgetting it in the oven might not help... RICE on the other hand will just make it... well.... dry....er....

If all else fails... admit a loss and get a Zune!

8. musican

I agree that rice is safer, that's why I suggested it, but why get a Zune, didn't they have problems New Years Day?

9. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

Oh i feel your pain. My BF washed mine a few weeks after i bought them (bought him one aswell)

Mine were still only within a week old, so he just took it back and got it replaced after he dried it out.

Other than trying to use warranty from the stoe you bought it, theres not much you can do. If they send it away, your screwed, as they have a watermark inside them to see if water has gotten into them.

10. otc877

otc877 Guest

I've washed my cell phone, swam with it and then washed it again.

....it still works

I took a blowdryer to it for about 5 minutes and then left it sit for about a week, and sure enough, it still works.

11. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I dropped mine in the toilet....i wrapped it in a towel and left it on the radiator for a while and it works fine now. (this happened two weeks after i lost my first one down the side of the sofa!!!) Ipod shit happens :frowning2:

12. Techcompu2

DO NOT PUT IT IN THE OVEN OR BY A HEATER OR BLOW-DRY IT!!!! doing so will only damage it more! I am only saying this because if it damages a cell phone I would think it would do the same for an Ipod. if you can-without damaging it- try to open it up-take out the battery-and leave it for 24-48 hours on a desk out in the open. If it does not work after you put it back together after that amount of time I would suggest trying to get it fixed.

13. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could always phone an electronics store and ask them what you should do. Don't do anything that involves direct heat, try the rice thing, just leave it for a while. In a week or so, charge it and see if it works, if not, phone...

14. No One

Wow sorry dude was this recently cause i think you would have ranted during school if it was erlier

15. :tears:Well i learned i am pretty much screwed sideways... I've read that rice should do the trick for now, but because there is no way to remove the water inside that eventually the water will travel to the circuits and one by one all of the basice functions will die off (lcd screen, battery life, etc.). Apple wont do anything but send me a refurbished one. So I am going to convine my parents to use the money when they get their taxes back to buy me a 4gen one, which would be cheaper than the 3 gen. I told mom that she can keep all the birthday money i get when my bday comes around. I hope they will cause all the websites say i have just postponed the inevitable. :tears:

16. Bunny

Aw man, I feel your pain.

I lost my first ever iPod (silver shuffle, lol) that way.

17. jroakwood

hahah. this is funny because that happened to me. like... 2 years ago.
    this saturday. i plugged it in, just for fun. YEP IT WORKS.

i had ended up buying one, a full size one, whatever those are called.
    but thats good cause i cant even fit all my music on the old one, i tried it.
    but now i have two ipods. :grin:

anyways. dont connect it to electricity or turn it on until you KNOW all the water is gone.
    a good tip is to put it in a bowl of rice, (dry rice), because rice evaporates water like no other.
    i dont know about turning the oven on, ive put watered electronics in it without the oven being on, because ovens have dry air. i feel like electronics+water+heat is a bad idea. it sounds rusty. ew.

but yeah. i know what youre going thru. one ipod in the wash. one phone in the hottub, and later in the wash. i know exactly how you feel right now.

good luck buddy! maybe it'll work someday in two years! hah.

EDIT: sorry for repeating advice already given, didnt feel like reading thru all the posts. but for real, my old one works again, theres still hope for yours!

#17 jroakwood, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  18. Jerr

I haven't had any issues. I heard the 30 gig did have issues but then again I'm a real man and got the 80 gig... (Sadly I must get the 120 because my 80 is becoming a little full with music....)

19. BlakeHarmony

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you ever need someone to take the 80gig of your hands, I'll always be there for you. I know how difficult this time can be, I'm here for you.

20. Jerr

If I get to that point... I will let you know.