1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carol: The Film

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Oh Lilac, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Oh Lilac

I just got back from seeing the movie Carol, and it was phenomenal. Anyone else see it? Rooney Mara and Cate Blanchett had such wonderful chemistry. Thoughts?

2. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

I was just coming on this sub-forum to see if anyone has seen it. I just saw a couple of trailers, and it looks great so I will go see it in the next few weeks.

3. hollychristina

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I saw it on Saturday and I loved it. Todd Haynes is a brilliant filmmaker and I have seen almost all of his films.Rooney Mara was excellent and so was Cate Blanchett.It was my most anticipated film of the year and it exceeded my expectations.I plan on seeing it again very soon.

4. LittleLionGirl

I saw it two nights ago - had to go to a theatre an hour away, but it was worth it.

Beautifully done, and I'm just so thrilled that it's being treated as a serious contender among Hollywood blockbusters.

I will definitely be seeing it again when it hits my local theatre.

5. Oh Lilac

I'm seeing it again tonight! I love Rooney Mara in this.

6. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Just saw it this evening and really loved it. The acting was superb.
    I feel Brokeback Mountain was much more intense though. Carol
    is more subtle, but very powerful too.

It's a must see!

7. CalzonaFan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Oh my god, I just saw this movie and so much of it unspoken & emotionally charged...
    Near the end of the movie, literally my heart felt like it was popping out...
    Very intense, and I love it!

8. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Just bumping this up for someone who wanted to discuss it on another thread.

9. latenlife lez

Hey there

I saw Carol today- I had to drive 2 and half hours to find a theater that would show it. But it was worth the drive.

I am still processing it-but i can say it was beautifully made and as I read in one review truly a love story. It did not matter to me that it was two women and it did.

In many ways the movie left a bit unspoken- and left it up to the audience to decided how Carol and Therese were thinking and feeling with their acting- ( smoky looks) and an incredible score. I am a bit of movie soundtrack snob- I like Carter Burwell who did this score.

I don't want to spoil it for anyone who has not seen it- so stop reading if you don't want take on the end

################################################## ################################################## ################################################## ############

More importantly I guess I wanted to be like Carol - To me she seemed brave- she realized that in her time- and with the power and money her husband had- she could have her cake and eat it too- she gave up custody of her child- but demanded visitation- unlimited and whenever-- She said she could not live any more other who she was. She loved a woman- a woman who she barely knew- but wanted a chance to know better. She was not willing in my opinion to settle and be who society thought she should be - ( a very naugthy woman who had a mental illness and was mostly cured- or at least has done her therapy). She wanted to be happy- she wanted her husband to be happy as well and said that there nothing either of them could do to make each other happy.

She challenged what the meaning of happiness meant- and it was not about being happy- which I think society defines as having everything and feeling good. Being happy is about laughter, passion, pain and tears. It is everything and nothing. But no matter what it begins with the person who seeks it. Not in someone providing it. Therese did not provide her happiness-- Therese gave her love- and in receiving the love as woman who loves another- that is what Carol found to be her happiness. She was willing not to receive it- but she was not willing to not ask for it.

I wonder if that is the true definition of happiness?

Please share your thoughts-with me and the EC community

Thank you Open arms for sending me in the right direction!