1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for bilinguals/multilinguals

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, Dec 30, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

As I've mentioned on this forum before, I'm going to moving to The Netherlands within the next 2 years, and I need, or would like to, learn Dutch.

My question to people who speak more than one language: is immersion the best way to learn a language, and does it apply to every language?

My reason for asking this is, I've been watching a few videos of people speaking Dutch, natives and people with Dutch as their 2nd+ language, and the pronunciation (to me) is so hard, and with a country where practically everyone speaks English, how will I learn Dutch when I make the move over?

I'm hoping to go to Spain/France during university for a year abroad to improve my language skills in the respective language, as I (personally) believe that immersion will work best when it comes to those two languages, but with Dutch, and people constantly saying 'practically everyone speaks Dutch', I'm worried I won't be able to learn. I'll be living 15 minutes outside of Amsterdam, and in Amsterdam the majority of the time anyway, so I don't know whether I'll get the chance to learn.

So.. Is immersion the best option?

2. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's a very good way, in my opinion. There are other ways, but that's one of the fastest ones. Do it if you feel like. :slight_smile:

You'll be able to learn. I'm sure. Everybody is able to learn a foreign language.

I think your option sounds pretty good. :slight_smile:

3. cakepiecookie

I've done a similar thing - learning a new language in a country where everyone speaks excellent English.

The best thing you can do is to put yourself in a position where you'll have plenty of exposure and will need to use the language. I worked with kids when I first arrived in my new country and that was fantastic. My language skills have plateaued a bit since I started working a job where I can get away with using English.

It's good to do languages classes alongside your daily exposure, though I personally found them most useful in the beginning so that I could get a handle on the basics. After that, exposure has been more helpful.

You should also do things like watching TV in the new language - watch Dutch shows with English subtitles, and watch English shows while reading the Dutch subtitles. Radio helps too, though of course you won't understand anything that helps.

Finally, ask the people around you to be patient with you and not automatically switch to English the second you start struggling.

Best of luck with it! Make sure you're actually being exposed to Dutch and not living in an English-speaking bubble and you'll be fine!

4. breq

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I studied Japanese for three years in college before studying abroad and have to say that living with a host family who spoke no English really amped up my Japanese! I wouldn't be as fluent as I am without that immersion experience. No experience with Dutch, though...

5. nativeofruby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Portuguese is my native language. I consider to be fluent in both English and Spanish...
    the thing is: english is pretty much unavoidable in today's culture so I'm in constant touch, yet sometimes I get a little "rusty" on my spanish because I haven't used it in so long.

still, whenever I gather the time and money to cross the border over to Spain, something inside me clicks and I begin speaking like a local... so yeah, immersion is the best solution

6. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that is a benefit. Being in a place where people speak English as a Second/Third Language is good. It can help you pick up the First Language there and still have people help you with it by communicating in a common language as well (English). It might be slow, but it works. I learnt a language the same way, though the common language wasn't English. But the principle is the same. :grin:

7. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Another Portuguese person. <3

8. j0hn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Immersion is amazing. It helps if the natives speak some of your tongue though. Honestly i live in a predominantly Spanish community. All throughout high school i took Spanish classes aimed at those whose native tongue was English. I sucked at Spanish.
    Then i entered the workforce where either i made efforts to learn or I ended up looking like an idiot.
    2 years later no one can distinguish that Spanish is my second tongue. Do not mistake- it takes a lot of work and practice. A lot of patience and frustration but you can do it!!

9. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds weird, but the best way to learn a language is to go and live in that country, which you will be going to do anyway. Maybe learn the basics of the language then build on that when you start living there.

10. metalhead

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's probably the best way.
    And I don't think people's going to talk to you in English unless they see you're having a hard time speaking Dutch :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: