1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone play rugby?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheBiBoy, Jan 14, 2016.

1. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey guys,
    Iam starting to play rugby because Iam a huge fan of it but iI want advice from people who play currently. I will ask for the advice on your profile wall if you ddon't mind or if you want to answer my questions here it is fine. I am 5ft 2" and because of my height everyone is saying I'll be a good hooker but I'll have to see what position I am put on. Do ye wear a scrum cap and padding? Should I wear o e and what are the advantages of the cap and padding? And what's it like to wear tthe padding and scrum cap. Oh and for American football fans therugby padding is different they are called shoulder pads and tthey are soft compared to American football. These are them: Rugby Shoulder pads

I might have more questions buy I'lljjust wait to see who plays rugby first!

Thanks,
    TheBiBoy

2. LiquidSwords

Yes it's great! I play flanker but have been exiled to outside centre this season for a few reasons but still really enjoy playing there.

Height is an advantage for most positions in rugby but you're right in that it's not as important for hookers as for other positions. You could easily play flanker or any of the backs positions though depending on the level you're playing at and what you're best suited to. Playing in the backs requires good handling skills especially 9, 10, 12, 13 which you may not have if you're new to the sport. Wing or flanker are good positions for beginners as you don't have to have exceptional handling skills or be exceptionally big to play there. If you play hooker you'll have to learn to scrum pretty quickly and most likely to throw in to the line out but this can be done.

Whether or not to wear a scrum cap is up to you. If you're in the front row or second row it's a good idea to wear one as it protects your ears from rubbing and getting damaged (google 'cauliflower ears'). Outside these positions it's a necessity and it's only really needed to protect against head injuries from collisions, so depends on what sort of impacts you're expecting and how worried you are about them. Personally I've never worn one playing either flanker or centre or wing.

Are you thinking of playing for a school team or a club ?

3. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the reply. I will be playing for a club. Do you show up to the training ready with all the gear on?

Thanks.

4. LiquidSwords

There'll be changing facilities at the club but whether everyone uses them or turns up ready I don't know. The colts (age group players) at my club usually turn up ready whilst the seniors tend to get changed there. Probably the best thing to do is ring someone at the club and ask, there should be a number on the website. Then they'll be expecting you and can introduce you and stuff too which would be good.