1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking about starting rowing | Advice Please!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by arkansasteen, Jan 14, 2016.

1. arkansasteen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone!

I want to start rowing this summer but I have no friends that are in the sport. Is there anyone that can give me advice on what to expect?

I am mainly starting for social and health reasons. I think it will be a great new experience as I'm extremely extroverted.

Is there a special uniform I need for this? Should I start going to the gym regularly to prepare? (I'm kind of nervous to be around all the skilled guys, when I haven't ever done rowing)

:icon_bigg

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is pretty timely. I just started reading a book called The Boys in the Boat and while I have no plans to start rowing, I'm guessing you can sort of consider it like the competitive rower's bible. It talks about history, technique, and the mindset necessary to succeed at all levels of the sport, all with an extremely dramatic and thrilling true story. Absolutely indispensable since you're interested.

I've seen that there are rowing machines at some gyms. I get the feeling that it's good for building muscle and endurance, but not as good as getting out on the water. Best of luck to you in such an ancient and prestigious sport. :grin:

#2 Argentwing, Jan 14, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  3. guitar

Hmmm... I've never done REAL rowing, but the rowing machine is my favorite exercise. It helped me get into great shape and I know a few people who do the real thing and love it. Tremendous exercise and they say it's a very fun atmosphere.

You should get some practice in on a rowing machine before going to help somewhat prepare your muscles. I'm guessing the real thing will be considerably more taxing, especially on your forearms and shoulders.

4. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't row, but I have good friends that do. Expect a lot of blisters on your hands, and expect your legs and back to be pretty sore. :slight_smile:

#4 Stoccata, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  5. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I row! And I love it. I used to swim competitively before, but I found it very eh, and I thought sport wasn't really for me but then I tried rowing just for the hell of it, and I really love it now.

It's going to be painful at first. You will get blisters on your hands from where you grip the oar handle and over time you're going to have calluses on your hands which will be semi-permanent (they'll go away if you stop rowing)

Also expect muscle pain for a few days. Rowing works pretty much your whole body, the pressure in your stroke comes from your legs first, then your core, then your arms. I couldn't walk after the first day :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but once it goes away, trust me the feeling is worth it.

Also you'll probably take a little while, as in a few weeks/months, to get your technique down well. You can learn the basic technique quite fast but there are a lot of things to remember and training your body to move the correct way every single stroke without thinking about it will take some time, but with constant enthusiastic practice, you'll get it for sure.

If you're nervous you can maybe practice first on an ergometer (rowing machine) in the gym for a couple of weeks. But honestly, I think you'll get the best advice if you just go straight to the rowing club and ask for help. At least in my experience, most people are helpful. Everyone was a beginner once :slight_smile: as for the uniform, it depends on the club. I'm sure they'll tell you everything.

It'll take a while to get used to but I hope you stick with it, because it's a really exciting sport!