1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

David Bowie

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by goodbeat94, Jan 17, 2016.

1. goodbeat94

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Just wanted to make a post talking about David Bowie. I'll be honest I wasn't that huge of a fan of his when he was alive but I did look up to him and appreciate him. He came from a time when homosexuality and gender bending was still pretty much taboo, even more so than it is today. I feel like he's a wonderful icon within the LGBTQUIA+ community. I just hate how my interest for him truly peaked after his passing. I kinda feel like a bad fan. You know? But better late than never I guess. I picked up a Bowie shirt at Hot Topic and I found Aladdin Sane on vinyl for a decent price! My first Bowie vinyl! Would love to hear stories about him and if any of y'all met him or have memories to share about his music or if you grew up during his peak, feel free to tell!! :slight_smile:

2. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Strangely enough I had a similar experience. An online friend of mine is a huge Bowie fan and had given me suggestions in the past, but he didn't really click at the time. This would've been within the last couple years. When news of his death came about, I was still shocked because it was so sudden, his latest album had just come out and the two events combined left an impact even on me.

It only seemed to grow through the numerous statements, tributes I was seeing all over the Internet from other musical artists, but also just friends, acquaintances of mine or shared from friends of friends. Feeling like something truly profound had happened, tragic but which still united so many people in common sentiment and appreciation.

Under this feeling, I was curious to give his music another try, albeit gradually. Listening to select tracks and then moving onto other albums. Since then I've listened to at least five albums as of this post, in addition to a couple tracks from others I haven't yet [favorite so far is Lodger.] Much to my surprise? I've been really taking to his music, admiring his individuality while absorbing different influences and styles. Though I do regret this not having happened before his death, in a way it has lent perhaps a deeper appreciation in light of the event?

3. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just came home humming Ziggy Stardust. Went to find my Bowie Cd , couldn't find it. Went and asked my brother who had it and gave it to me. Found out he scratched it.. Now very sad..

4. Ryu

Ryu

Record. They are records. Your first bowie record.

On the topic, when I went into the record shop in my village on saturday, I went in looking for bowie. I then found out that somebody had cleared the shop out of bowie (heroes , ziggy stardust, aladdain sane). I am so pissed I didn't go earlier... I still managed to get a shagged copy of pin ups...

5. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Listened to Station to Station for the first time yesterday evening, my eighth? Bowie album, and it may be my favorite. :astonished:

[YOUTUBE]BjvCGFptxgI[/YOUTUBE]

6. theskylitup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Station to Station is surely my favorite of his!:slight_smile:

7. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Do you have a favorite track from it?

8. 741852963

He was an incredibly brave artist.

You have to remember he was one of the first involved in the Glam Rock scene so there were really few men out there dressing in this manner. Marc Bolan was really the pioneer before Bowie started, but I don't think he took androgyny to anywhere near the level Bowie did. Bowie raised the bar.

And without Glam Rock being kick-started by these men, and the limits of masculinity being pushed we may not have saw the likes of Kiss in their makeup and catsuits, or the New Romantics in the 80s such as Duran Duran. Our entire music scene (and culture) today would be vastly different without Bowie.

And what I also appreciate about Bowie is he wasn't classically good looking but he still exudes tons of confidence. He was very "striking" with his mix of masculine and feminine features, pale skin, his less than perfect teeth and unusual eyes. But he made all that work to his advantage.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That first point is why I'm okay with calling him a legend (and trust me, I am *HARD* on praising musicians like this) despite never being a huge fan. Maybe because I wasn't exposed to him beyond his movie appearances. But he certainly did change the face of music in a huge way.

For the second point though, I dunno. I thought he was extremely handsome in youth and in his later years. You're right that he was striking because of his eyes primarily, but I never once thought he was less than a fox. :grin:

#9 Argentwing, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  10. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know what to say about Bowie. He has given me so much courage to be myself and told me that it is okay to be different. In my early teenage years I listened to lots of bands that had taken inspiration from Bowie (ok who hasn't, but I can really hear Bowies influence in their music) , but it wasn't until I was 17 that I found his music and fell in love.

He has made so much music, and so different kinds of stuff. However, my favourites are Ziggy Stardust, Let's Dance, and Station to Station albums. I don't find the music he made in the 90s that interesting tbh but it is also the stuff I'm not familiar with. I absolutely adore the way he pushed the gender boundaries and made it cool to be different. He was one of a kind.

11. Mr Spock

Space Oddity has such a nice sound to it. :slight_smile:

12. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Roughly two and a half months later, I haven't been able to stop. Does this officially count as an addiction? :lol:

At this point, think my top five albums would (roughly) be, though the first firmly in place:

- Lodger
    - Scary Monsters . . . And Super Creeps
    - Station to Station
    - Blackstar
    - Low

Honourable Mention: The Next Day

Just heard the whole of Scary Monsters the other evening, wow.

13. Ryu

Ryu

Got another bowie record (albeit a single). I gotta say, nile Rodgers' guitar work on the B side of lets dance is truly amazing, and I never really tool nile Rodgers as much of an epic solo kinda guy, but hell... Cat people putting out a fire with gasoline. My favourite bowie song I know thus far.