1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Empty Closet Spotify Playlists

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by luke564, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was wondering what you guys thought of the idea that maybe we could start a few different collaborative playlists to help each other discover new music and hear what other users listen to.

We could have different playlists for different genres (pop, EDM, metal etc we have tons of diversity here and there would be no point in putting everything in one playlist) and maybe some volunteers could create and curate the playlists.

It could be fun but also really helpful for people like me who kind of want to explore new genres (I keep thinking about getting into pop) but find it hard to know what stuff to try and listen to.

Just an idea.

2. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm....this might be tricky to do considering EC's policy on contact outside of the site. To share playlists on Spotify, you need to have either an account through them, or do what most people do and connect over Facebook. This would make it entirely too easy to look up people, and make contact with them.

But that's why this sub-forum exists. So we can talk about different types of music, and people can branch out.

So, what kind of music do you like? I listen to a wide range of stuff, so based on your current interests, I might be able to suggest some new genres or artists! :grin:

3. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Ahh yeah you're right, it hadn't even occurred to me that you could search for people by username, annoyingly the old Spotify let you add tracks to playlists anonymously but I don't think they do that anymore - my bad - probably a stupid idea!

Well I'm really bored of my life long music interest (rock / metal) and have wanted to branch out for a while, try something new - I hear pop / EDM stuff here and there but it's tough to know what direction to head in when you're not into that scene.

4. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hhhmmm...Rock/Metal you say? How intense are we talking here? Like, Death metal hard rock, or classic rock, nu metal? How much head banging takes place? What are some bands/artists you like?

#4 DougTheBicycle, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  5. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Haha, honestly I don't listen to it anymore - id say I used to go back and forth between classic rock and actual metal metal (the band I used to play in) - but I'm not really looking to listen to anything like that.

6. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well then! Let's get weird.

I have three artists/groups that come to mind.

Trombone Shorty & Orleans Ave.- Really heavy jazz, as the name implies. The leader of the group, Trombone Shorty, plays trombone, trumpet, and has a voice like an angel. I'd recommend starting with his album "Backatown." Gives a good mix of everything.

Gorillaz- A UK group. They are animated. They generally are hip-hop/rap, but they have some interesting techno stuff on a couple of albums. Start with Demon Days or their self titled ablum, Gorillaz.

Reel Big Fish- Third wave ska. This is just plain fun to listen to. It's rock music, with reggae influences in the bass line, and horns added in. Once you get deeper into the world of Ska, there are dozens of groups, each with a unique sound. Reel Big Fish is very horn-heavy, and very upbeat. Turn The Radio Off is a wonderful album, and so is Candy Coated Fury. Or, if you feel like listening to some adapted '80's tunes, just look them up on youtube. There's a bunch of videos, and from there you can find other Ska groups.

I'll throw in a fourth, because I"m a hipster.

The Crane Wives- An indie group from Michigan. They have a beautiful sound, reminiscent of Mumford and Sons. They're not terribly big yet, and all of their stuff is on Spotify. I'd start with Safe Ship, Harbored.

Hope this helps!

7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! :slight_smile:

Like Doug said, this would be against the Code of Conduct, because it would break the off-site contact rules.

But, again, feel free to create another thread to talk about music! :grin:

I'm closing this one so we don't change the subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.