1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The X files are back

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by yeahyeah, Jan 28, 2016.

1. yeahyeah

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The X files are back. I wanted to know if there are some fans of the series in here and what do you think about it. When I was younger I was always interested in the series, though I never saw any episode.

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I'm following it although I missed the second episode, and I too have never seen much of the old series except for one of the movies.

3. yeahyeah

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just bought season 1 and 2 on Amazon. I hope is good. Then I'll decide if I want to keep watching it.

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I love the series! (Also...I suppose my avatar kind of hints at that too:lol:slight_smile:

There is a lot to watch if you want to finish everything, but very worth it in my opinion. I didn't watch all of the episodes from the original series (seasons 1-9), most of them though. Sometimes scary (there are some pretty scary episodes imo), sometimes funny, sometimes heart-breaking- but ultimately incredible and powerful, and very difficult for me to sum up in words. It's not just the plot and themes but also Mulder and Scully (I love both of them) and their character development, arcs, and dynamic that is key to what makes the show impactful I think, at least that's the case with me for sure. It was/is definitely a pretty influential show.

Anyhow, txf explores a lot of themes and ideas, and many talented people from writers to directors to actors and more worked on the show over the years. (Vince Gilligan is one example)

I'd recommend to anyone - if you have time - to read episode reviews on them0vieblog (they reviewed every single episode from seasons 1-9 in depth), because those reviews not only were very insightful but also gave a lot of historical context and background information which made the experience of watching the show even better, especially since I didn't watch it when it was originally on air. I learned a great deal from reading some of the stuff on that blog, and it's just one out of many sites that contains a lot of info + insight on the show.

(The revival is great too! I've been following it.)

#4 Alder, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  5. yeahyeah

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, now i want to watch it even more lol. I will watch season 1 and 2 as soon as they arrive and maybe I'll read those reviews :grin:

I want to know, if you can tell me, what other themes (besides the aliens) does the series have?

6. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sure! Some that I noticed and have read about include existentialism, paranoia, human nature, human connection or isolation (Darin Morgan episodes famously touch on that a lot), identity, globalization, alienation (as a concept), faith, religion, power and the manifestations and ramifications of it (also its corruption), and the pursuit for truth, and family.
    Also consequences of the past on the present, the passage of time, historical crimes and fears, and the implications of all that. The inheritance of past guilt and sin and how it plays out.
    It’s also a show that very clearly finds its roots in the nineties and some of that can be seen as well.

And a whole lot more- I’ll avoid just continuing listing themes because it’s more to be experienced on screen I think. It really depends what each person individually can take from it. Some of the posts on them0vieblog will do much better than me in explaining specific ideas and themes in more depth (certainly enlightened me quite a bit.)

Not all episodes are obvious in exploring specific ideas (I think some of the aforementioned themes grow more prominent in longer arcs from season to season anyways) - some are just stand alone, well written, and just in itself an excellent story even without being deep meditations on anything – but it’s all good. It’s easier to pick stuff out in the long run, at least in my opinion, than a few episodes in isolation.

As for anything, there are the really well done aspects and there are the less well done parts too but overall, I really love it. I hope you find something you enjoy in it, because this show has shown that it can do a lot of different things well rather than sticking to one specific genre or convention through its run.

7. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't gotten a chance to watch it, yet. I'm not sure how they're working in the Smoking Man considering what happened to him in Season 9, but overall I'm more excited for the (finally!) upcoming third season of Twin Peaks.

8. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't personally understand how the CSM is back either, but I'm not even surprised by this point. I feel like it won't be impossible to work an explanation in.
    Anyways I can't wait for Darin Morgan's episode to air in a few days. It seems like a brilliant episode from the teasers I've seen of it already.

Ah I haven't had the chance to watch Twin Peaks yet but it's high on my to-watch list. It looks really good.

#8 Alder, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  9. AdrianK

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The X-Files was my favorite television show as a kid. Love the original series and can still enjoy watching an episode. The characters are among the most well thought out on television and will probably continue to be with the original actors and the show’s creator returning. My one worry with the show’s return is if the alien invasion plot that was central to the original show won’t be as interesting.

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Damn, I just found out it'll be on german tv, I just got to watch it, used to be my fav show as a teenager

11. Juli

I think that the original series is simultaneously one of the best and worst shows I've ever seen; a lot of the episodes are kinda the same plot played out in a different setting, and it can get pretty corny, but dear god I love it. I'm still trying to work my way through all 9 seasons, but I'm excited about there being more new content as well!

12. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    But I've barely started season 2 though.... O__O