1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian Book Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by PennyT, Feb 8, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried looking for other threads, but I couldn't find much. Could someone point me to a good thread, or give me lesbian book recommendations? I used to read "real" books all the time until sexual heterosexual books made me uncomfortable and then I switched to fanfiction. I want to go back to "real" books, but I can't find much. I really like warm and happy books, like fairy tales or just cheesy romance - feel good books.

Any recommendations?

2. rudysteiner

There's the graphic novel of Blue is the Warmest Colour. You could try browsing the LGBT section of Good Reads. There should be some nice prose in there to read, although the majority mightn't be of the quality of 'real books'. Just a suggestion, as I do this sometimes when reading straight romance novels: have you ever tried to imagine the relationship in the novel as same-sex?

Here's the link to the LGBT section of Good Reads: https://www.goodreads.com/genres/glbt?original_shelf=gay-and-lesbian

Alternatively, if you're interested in poetry, there is plenty of lesbians with some great work, such as Adrienne Rich, Eileen Myles, etc.

NSFW excerpt from Dear Andrea, by Eileen Myles:

I love you too
    don’t fuck up my hair
    I can’t believe
    you almost fisted me
    today.
    That was great.

3. Willa

"Fingersmith," by Sarah Waters (Dickensian story about thieves, madness, and lady love, on the adult side to be sure)

"The Foretelling," by Alice Hoffman (YA novel about a matriarchal society - the queen is a lesbian)

"Rubyfruit Jungle," by Rita Mae Brown (queer feminist classic)

"Zami: A New Spelling of My Name," by Audre Lorde (Black lesbian narrative, very powerful, similar in tone to Alice Walker's prose, which is also worth reading)

4. Willa

"Fingersmith," by Sarah Waters (Dickensian story about thieves, madness, and lady love, on the adult side to be sure)

"The Foretelling," by Alice Hoffman (YA novel about a matriarchal society - the queen is a lesbian)

"Rubyfruit Jungle," by Rita Mae Brown (queer feminist classic)

"Zami: A New Spelling of My Name," by Audre Lorde (Black lesbian narrative, very powerful, similar in tone to Alice Walker's prose, which is also worth reading)

5. Lunarchy

I've been wondering about this as well. I would like a book with a lesbian romantic subplot, while maintaining a real plot. (Like lord of the rings, but instead of Sam and Frodo, It's Samantha and... Frida? And they are lesbian lovers ^)^)

If you like anime, however, I recommend checking out Yuru Yuri. It's a funny and cute anime about a group of young lesbians. Probably my favorite show of all time!

(My profile and signature are all yuru yuri characters ^)^)

#5 Lunarchy, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016