1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for an anime with some fast and highly stylized combat scenes.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Lazuri

It'd be neat if it had good story too, but that's not the itch I want to scratch right now.

A good example--and the anime I judge all other stylized combat scenes by--is Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works. That anime also had the bonus of having amazing animation and sound.

[YOUTUBE]JU_uEdrrhXM[/YOUTUBE]

2. seijuroizaya

I just finished K, and both seasons had nice combat scenes, mostly weapon based. Hope this helps in some way. If not, hope you have a eodnerful day :grin:

3. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yaaay! Someone else that loved Unlimited Blade Works! It was great (now that kageshiro is gone there is no one left to contradict me :badgrin:slight_smile:

Check out Kill La Kill and One Punch Man.

As far as Kill La Kill goes, it's a 24 episode anime, completely original and one of the most overtop things I've ever seen (that applies to both of these, actually). It's a satire of the Magical Girl sub-genre, and the whole thing revolves around lampooning tropes of nudity and sexualization in anime, so don't take everything you see at face value. The animation is top-notch, the action is very fluid, and since the theme of the series is clothing and fashion everything has sort of a "glamorous" motif. The story drags at some points, but overall the anime remains so entertaining the episodes will mostly fly by.

There is a caveat tho, since there are a handful of episode (around 4-6) in which the quality of the animation (as well as the plot, to a degree) take a nosedive for what I can only imagine were budgetary reasons. The most egregious case is one of the earlier episodes, in which the animation was so stiff and just bad that I decided to skip it altogether mid-way through. Nevertheless, those are the exception, and the rule is pretty slick animation, so push through the duds and thou shall be rewarded with eyecandy.

One Punch Man is a much easier sell, because, needless to say, the whole time I was just gaping and wondering aloud "how the fuck did they managed to produce a season in which all 12 episodes have movie-level of quality?!" It's insane how good the animation is here. I still can't make sense of how they got away with it, budget or time-wise (had they been secretly making this anime for years?).

The story is another satire (this time, lampooning tropes from shounens) and it's very thin, but I assure you this one broke through last year as the internet's darling almost solely due to the ridiculously good animation. Over the top doesn't even begin to describe how bombastic the action in this anime is. So, if good animation is what you are looking for, you can't go wrong with One Punch Man.

There. I'm done gushing lol.

#3 RawringSnake, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  4. Lazuri

Seen both of 'em.

5. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm both happy that more people have watched them, and frustrated that I didn't get to introduce someone to them :lol:

Right now I'm watching Psycho Pass, I'll let you know how that turns out. Alternatively, have you seen Fate/Zero? It's not as good as Unlimited Blade Works in terms of animation, but the story is way better.

#5 RawringSnake, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  6. Lazuri

Yupp.

They're also making a movie based on the Heaven's Feel Route of Fate/Stay, but they're not saying anything about how it's going.

Also, BTW, about your comments about OPM's animation: it was good, but when it comes to quality, UBW absolutely dwarfs anything I've seen insofar. The animation is extraordinary and the sound image is high budget movie worthy, but I actually missed the intensity of the show's sound image when I watched it because I heard it with my normal TV speakers. It wasn't until today when I rewatched some fights while wearing headphones when I realized just how fucking good it is.

No, really--put on your best headphones and watch this again.
    [YOUTUBE]mbgY4NF5xVE[/YOUTUBE]

7. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Way ahead of you there, sista. I've rewatched that scene countless times already :grin: A masterpiece of animation.