1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Depicted In Media

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by H20, Feb 26, 2016.

1. H20

H20

I think I'm more curious about this because I'm a creative person and am planning to become an LGBT writer or filmmaker someday (or whatever else I can find interest in), but I was wondering what were the things you (a) hate about how your gender identity and/ore sexuality is depicted in media (any kind of platform such as movies, books, music, YouTube, etc) and (b) like about your identity and/or sexuality media depiction; but most importantly (c) what you'd like to be depicted more often or something you haven't seen you'd like to see.

Personally I hate: in the US, there's a lot of states trying to pass anti-LGBT legislations or deny same-sex marriage despite the Supreme Court ruling; lack of accurate prominent bisexual characters. Particularly in movies & TV - almost every character seems to be all or mostly stereotypes :dry:

Like: seeing transgender community in the news/media lately, obviously same-sex marriage in multiple countries in the past year, and suppressed LGBT countries have been speaking out/fighting bravely for their rights despite the risks. :eusa_clap

Wish to see: more transgender/non-binary, LGBTQ+ race & culture and diversity, unique characters that aren't mostly based off stereotypes, and even though I'm not religious, I think it's important to see religious LGBTQ+ characters of not necessarily just Christian faith but others as well; and other sexualities besides the obvious lesbian and gay (asexuality is a prime example) :icon_wink

2. LoveBillCipher

I agree, there needs to be less stereotyping in characters. Also, if there is any celebrities who haven't come out yet, but are part of the LGBTQ+ community, I think they should come out, because a lot of people are more confident when they have a spar of inspriation.

3. H20

H20

I agree somewhat with the celebrities coming out. I'm all for it if they are completely comfortable with their sexualities and/or identity, but at the same time, the media likes to hone in and focus solely on that sometimes and it puts pressure on them to do try things that they might not be the best at doing (not everyone in meant for advocating). Celebrities also face their own struggles personally and they need to think about themselves as well before taking on an inspirational campaign. Of course just coming out is inspirational all on it's own. I suppose it would depend on how the media and the fandoms take it. Most people are accepting, but they forget celebrities are only human and they tend to build higher expectations out of them at times.