1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Russian poets, novelists, playwrights?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, Mar 22, 2016.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

I'm doing some contextual research on the Russian Revolution for a text I'm studying in English Literature, and it got me thinking about Russian poets, novelists and playwrights.

The only Russian writers I have on my shelf, are Fyodor Dostoevsky and Mikhail Bulgakov, but One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn (that's a mouthful) has been recommended to me, as has a collection I can't remember the name of, by Anton Chekhov.

Does anyone have any Russian writers they would recommend? I'm looking for poets and playwrights in particular, but anything is fine. I absolutely love learning about Russia and would love to go one day, ironically.

Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

2. Oh Lilac

Vladimir Nabokov
    Anna Akhmatova
    Alexander Pushkin
    Nikolai Gogol
    Maxim Gorky
    Leo Tolstoy
    Marina Tsvetaeva
    Sophia Parnok

And yes, Chekhov

Among writers I love....

3. rudysteiner

I forgot Nabokov was Russian, I have Lolita on my shelf. :lol:

Thanks so much for the list! I'll check some of them out, especially Pushkin, I've heard good things about him. And Chekhov. And Tolstoy. :lol: