1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Real O'neals

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BobObob, Mar 28, 2016.

1. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For those who don't know, this show was inspired by an aspect of Dan Savage's upbringing as a gay teen in a conservative Catholic family. I can identify with the main character in many ways, and I suspect that many others on this site can as well.

This show got a bit of attention when organizations such as One Million Moms (which doesn't have a million member) got offended when the show was announced and the trailer was released. Unfortunately, it hasn't received much attention when it actually started to air, probably in part because ABC doesn't want to offend conservatives too much with this show.

If you haven't seen the show yet, ABC has posted the previous episodes on their website.

What are your thoughts on the show?

2. britishatheart

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For the record, I REALLY like The Real O'Neals-- I actually got introduced to it just last week when I was on spring break and needed something to watch, so I gave the pilot a try and was hooked almost immediately (I binged the rest that day). It's just something about it-- the fact that it's not all slapstick humor, there's some deep stuff thrown in there too, and I find Kenny to be a really relatable character. Plus there's no annoying laugh track, which is always a plus-- WE DON'T NEED TO BE TOLD WHEN TO LAUGH, PEOPLE! :wink:

3. MrSkittles

It's hilarious. I love it!

4. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get what you mean about laugh tracks, but laugh tracks can work with some shows in which the comedy has to do with the awkwardness of the characters, such as in the Big Bang Theory. Not using a laugh track on The Real O'neals was the right choice though.

5. Rainbow Girl

I really like it, it's really funny.

6. mituaski

mituaski Guest

I missed seeing Martha Plimpton on TV. Love this show!

7. Warkupo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't really relate to the show/characters, but I do like it. It's pretty funny with some tender moments and the given life lessons.

8. smurf

Love the show. Its just the right amount of being over the top, but I think its needed so they can easily tackle some really tough issues.

A bit homonormative and a bit tired of seeing only white LGBT people in shows, but its hilarious.

9. Oh Lilac

I love it! It is a well done, smart comedy.

10. PeytonRayne

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watch it every week with a friend/roomie/sister from another mister! They couldn't have gotten it better from the cast to the story!