1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sports. (Which one is your favourite+your view on sport in general).

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Canterpiece, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I should hate sports. I'm nerdy, generally unathletic,lazy,not particularly flexible, lanky and asthmatic. Also, I hate to be a stereotype (but then again I already am being a stereotype for being the unathletic asthmatic IT nerd) but I cannot throw. At all. Seriously, I have more chance knocking everyone out in the room than throwing to where I want to throw.

BUT...there are a few sports that I like. Now traditionally my family has been known for being good at sprinting, long jump and Table-tennis. My dad used to hold a long jumping record at his old school for a long time until someone finally managed to beat his record. I on the other hand...yeah....:icon_redf. long jumping was never something I enjoyed or was good at for that matter.

And I tend to get out of breath from running to the freaking bus stop when I'm late (which is only just around the corner from where I live) so... :lol:

My Granddad (obviously when he was still alive) was fairly well-known for being good at Table-tennis. :slight_smile: I actually quite like Table tennis.

Sports I actually enjoy- I'd say field hockey, swimming, football and Table-tennis. Not necessarily in that order. I'm somewhat "shunned" for liking field hockey in my family. Most of my family hate it, but I actually enjoyed playing it at school. Plus I was fairly good at it.

For most sports in PE, I was often the one to be picked last when it came to teams/groups. Except when it came to field hockey,as people actually took me seriously when it came to that. I was usually put down as being in defence (which I much preferred to the attack positions) and unlike in most sports I actually put the effort into defending rather than lazing about in defence like I would do in say Rounders or something.

It'd be annoying because people would always ignore the "2 on 1" rule where you were only meant to have two people (one from each team) in the equation when someone was trying to take the ball from either you or your the one taking the ball from them. I once tackled the ball of someone and had three people (including the person I had tackled it from) tackling me, and I managed to keep the ball. It was only when one more person (making it four people trying to tackle me!) forced themselves in that I lost the ball to the other team.

I think one of my biggest regrets was that I never joined the after school hockey team. My PE teacher seemed to be quite impressed with my ability anyway.

I was alright a Table-tennis too, and I liked swimming but not so much when we had to race each other. I was usually a lot slower than most of the people in my swimming lessons, but I think I have started to improve. :slight_smile:

I started to gain some skill in Football, but only when I could be bothered with it really.

So what about you? What are your favourite sports? What do you think of sports? Thoughts? I realise this thread may come across as kind of cocky, so er.. sorry about that. I have been told that I can be cocky sometimes, especially when I stood up to my old science teacher once. But er...that's a story for another day.

:icon_redf

#1 Canterpiece, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  2. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nice, a sports thread! My favourite sport is probably ice hockey. I'm not very sporty myself, but I grew up watching it and I would love to play it again. I used to play on the school volleyball and basketball team, and football in my free time when I was younger; not so much anymore though.

I don't have a lot of opinions on sports, it can be pretty fun. I just always loved ice hockey the most though probably.

3. HerrinDesFeuers

I love to pole dance. It's perfect for me because I don't have to run very long or fast, which I'm very bad at. I "just" need strength, flexibility and body control.
    I also like playing baseball/softball, but it isn't that common here, so it's hard to find a team.

4. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Swimming. I absolutely love swimming. It made me so damn happy and I brought all the best needed to train - pull buoy, fins, paddles and my dad even though me a watch to count strokes/lengths for my birthday. It kills me that swimming is practically the one sport that I can't do because of dysphoria.

In the past I've played many sports, probably around 10-12. I'm not at all as active as I used to be but I love exercise and the feeling of keeping fit.

5. CluelessOne

I love sports, I've played at a national level on multiple occasions in Water Polo. I'm also a fan of AFL (Australian Rules Football) and Rugby Leage though I've only played the former and quite badly to be honest.

I'm winding up with Water Polo now, niche sports have too many politics for my liking.

And then I pick up lawn bowls because I'm against drama. Logic.

6. alonsy alonso

In the past i have done my fair share of sports including gymnastics, football, rugby etc but i have to say i think my favourite sport is gymnastics just because of the dedication you can see some people put into it and i have just generally been inspired by it since i was young as it takes years to perfect it.

7. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sports are cool in general but I absolutely suck at team sports. I don't mind watching some of them, but I can't really play. The only sports I'm actually good at are swimming and sprinting.

8. Brytaleith

I was on a softball team for 5 years, represented my school at a national level several times and won, and I really loved it on the team.

I love sports in general. I love running I love soccer and swimming. I love gymnastics and martial arts. Personally, sports is really important to me because it contributed so much to my identity when I was in softball. I still tend to measure my self-worth on my ability to do sports, which isn't exactly the wisest thing to do.

I'm still pretty athletic, and have a very good throwing arm, but it's been on a steady decline since I stepped down from the team to concentrate on my final year.

#8 Brytaleith, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
  9. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like sports in general, but I absolutely LOVE ice hockey. I'd like to learn how to skate so I can play rec league.

10. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like sport, my favourite is tennis.

11. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Does pro wrestling count as a sport? If not then my favorite is Baseball.

12. Aerith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Who's your favourite player? I have a few both men and women

I like Rafa Nadel, Kei Nishikori, Alexander Zverev, Dominic Thiem, Roger Federer - men
    I like Lucie Safarova, Agnieszka Radwanska, Victoria Azarenka, Johanna Konta, Heather Watson, Sara Errani - women

One of the best players without doubt is Serena, she is amazing and whenever I see her I'm in ewe of her.

There is two players I don't like but the less said the better :slight_smile:

13. entopen

I generally dislike sports. I'd rather be on the bleachers or couch then on the field myself. Team sports especially. Bleh

But I only said generally, so the sports I do like would be swimming and long distance running. Especially swimming. I would stay in a pool all day if I could. Even if I don't know how to swim "properly", it's still my favorite thing ever.

14. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Two sports: association football and boxing.

First and foremost, I am an absolute football nut. I'll watch whatever game looks good, but of course I am a Borussia Dortmund fanatic through and through; they've been my team almost as long as I've been a football fan. I also support the German national team, but when it gets down to it, I'm a BVB supporter first, and that tends to eclipse my support for the national side. I play, too. If I do say so myself, I'm a damn good goalkeeper... even if I'm almost too short to reach the crossbar. :grin:

And second is boxing. Again, if there's a boxing match on TV, I'm there. I don't care who's fighting, I want to see. I've got a few favorite fighters, but I'm especially a big fan of Gennady Golovkin, the absolute destroyer of the middleweight division. (And if I could find a boxing gym around here, I'd play that sport, too, but that's harder to get into in a place like this.)

15. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...Meh, I think sports are generally boring.

16. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't like sports. I can't even do any sport.

17. redonkulous

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I absolutely love sports. I've grown to appreciate pretty much all sports, but my favorites are baseball, hockey, american football, and basketball. It's my 2nd biggest interest, besides music. I love to play sports as much as I watch them, I'm getting myself into baseball shape to play in some high-level league, and hopefully join my college baseball team next season

18. Formality

Yes, I love sports. The only sport I follow completely is alpine skiing. However I love watching any kind of skiing event: slope style, freeriding, ski-cross, etc. I also enjoy watching other extreme sports like skateboarding, mountainbiking, climbing etc. I also enjoy watching track and field and every other ice hockey game.

My favourite sport is obviously skiing since I've been doing it for 11 years. I especially love racing in gates. High speeds are fun, I love downhill, especially to watch on tv, but it always freaked me out a bit when I was competing knowing I could seriously hurt myself if I did a mistake. I love freeriding in the forest and just improvising with the terrain. It just feels so personal in a way. I never feel so satisfied as after a really great freeriding run.

Honestly skiing has always been like therapy for me when I've been the most depressed. It is the one thing that always makes me feel happy to be alive, even in my darkest periods.

19. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Virtually always, I like playing sports. Most sports, I see just like a game that's fun to play. I'm quite athletic and all, so yeah.

In Swedish, martial arts is called "kampsport", which literally translates into "fighting sport". Vulgar way to phrase it, in my opinion, but if I vaguely include martial arts under sports, then that is certainly my favorite branch of 'sports'. It's quite a major interest of mine. I've done aikido, boxing, and shourinji kenpou so far. I'm likely starting karate soon, and wish to do other martial arts later on, such as perhaps hapkido,, kung fu, sword fighting, and firing firearms. Yes, I'm a deadly bitch. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: (No, but seriously, I just love it for the meditative/exercise experience, so to say. And also, my conscience is a small price to pay for the power to protect what's important to me.)

Other sports I like (playing) are table tennis, ping-pong, basketball, pool, water polo, e-sports (ah, yeah, get mah geek own), some track and field, some soccer... stuff. :slight_smile:

When I hold more confidence in my physique, dancing and maybe pole dancing are sportsy things I want to try out a little more seriously. :slight_smile:

20. AngelLikesSpace

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really care that much for sports. I don't like watching them on tv at all but I don't mind watching them live, if it's not too hot out.