1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kodo, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Any trekkies here?

If so...
    > What shows or films have you seen?
    > What are your favourite and least favourite of what you've seen?
    > Who are you favourite Star Trek characters of all time?

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I like Star Trek, but I wouldn't call myself a trekkie...

I have seen most of TOS, and some TNG and Enterprise. Films, I must have seen all the 80s films with the classic TOS characters, and the last two new ones, which I loved.

As said, the new movies are quite good, I think they did a good job bringing ST to a new generation. Less favourite were some chapters of TNG, Data got on my nerves sometimes.

Spock, Bones, Chekov (the actor on the last movies was amazing) and Uhura played by Nicholls. Kirk with his 'alpha macho' ways seemed more a creature of the past than the future Star Trek described. I imagine a future with a different team dynamics, different 'leading' style. Enterprise had a more realistic leader from the future. Not only tech evolves with time, also society, although some may bitch about how slow this progress seems.

If I have to pick one character, it would be Spock. It represents the ascetic ideal with some interesting dark tones, a very well rounded character.

3. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I've seen every episode of the franchise from TOS to enterprise (I have most of them) with the exception of DS9 which I couldn't really get in to. Same for all of the films. I'm not really a trekkie but I do enjoy it.
    It's hard to pick a favourite anything because there is such a huge difference from one series to the other but I have always found myself favouring the strong female characters like Janeway, Seven of Nine, T'Pol etc.

#3 Calf, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen all of TOS. I enjoyed the first two seasons but the last one not so much. I own a full set of the movies but I've only seen the whale movie (Star Trek IV: Voyage Home). It's brilliant. I've seen a few random episodes of TNG but haven't convinced myself to watch the series yet. Both reboot movies, of course. I thank them for getting me into the larger universe and I did enjoy them, but I also dislike many things about them.

My favorite character is Spock. After him would be Bones (DeForest Kelley's) and Uhura (Nicholls's).

5. 00Shockwave00

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm most enjoy the original series because that is what my grandfather got me into.
    I've got a few seasons of the original series on DVD and also saw both of the newer movies directed by JJ Abrams and liked them pretty well. ..... I want to own a tribble.:grin:
    My favorite characters are Scotty, Dr Bones, and of course Mr.Spock.

#5 00Shockwave00, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  6. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, as a Trekkie, I could probably write 10 pages of stuff based on those 3 questions. I do not have time for that so I'm going to answer them very briefly. :lol:

All of them. That's including the cartoon version of TOS that they did after they cancelled the filmed version.

Hm. Episodes? Series? Movies?

Movies - I absolutely love The Undiscovered Country (VI). Far and away my favorite. The one I nearly fell asleep for was Insurrection (IX) - a clear least favorite for me.

Unlike a lot of Trekkies I'm actually relatively ok with the reboots. I think Trekkies just need to take a deep breath and realize that they have nothing to do with the originals, and to treat them like entirely new concepts. I will say I don't look forward to the third one after seeing the previews for it.

Favorite series is very tough for me - I think they all have their pluses and minuses - I'd say Enterprise was my least favorite but I'd tie the other four for favorite.

Episodes - This is where I could start going super in-depth if I had the time. I'll just say the only ones I really didn't care for were the TOS ones that referenced Christianity and US ideals as still being central topics in the future - references that you can tell were thrown in there solely to appease the 1960s audience and which were corrected in TNG.

Shit, I'm starting to go more in-depth than I intended.

Okay that one is even more tough to answer. I just...argh! I like different characters for different reasons! I can't pick one! :lol:

I'll say that I feel like I relate the most to Odo (other than his inexplicable infatuation with Kira). But for the life of me I would not be able to narrow down just one favorite character!

#6 Browncoat, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  7. Cedar

What shows or films have you seen?

I've seen some of TNG, some of Voyager and all of DS9. As for movies, I'm a bit fuzzy on what I've seen, I can sort of remember Nemesis...

What are your favourite/least favourite of what you've seen?

Some episodes were a bit dull but I'd have to say that they had their ups and downs, all of them. I can't really decide.

Who are you favourite Star Trek characters of all time?

I'd have to say that Garak was my favourite character. There was never a dull moment with him. I don't really know how to explain it but I just really like the design of the cardassians overall. Except for Dukat, it's one of those "Love to Hate" kind of feelings, especially after reading Fearful Symmetry.

8. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a longtime fan of Star Trek. I can barely remember some of the later TNG episodes from my early childhood, and remember when DS9/Voyager were on the air. I really grew up on watching VHS copies of TOS/TNG afterward though.

1. I have seen everything except Enterprise, which I have seen only 2 episodes from.

2. My favorites would probably be classic TOS/TNG and the earlier movies. I like the sense of exploration and a well-rounded focus on scifi, poltical intrigue, and action. DS9 was very interesting too as a way of showing the darker side of the Star Trek universe and had some very complex character development.

Voyager was a disappointment though; the premise of being isolated and having to return home while facing hard choices and conflict within and without offered a lot. The character concepts (with the exception of the annoying Neelix) were all well written, at least at first, and could have done well. Unfortunately, the writers refused to take any of the risks that the premise implied and played it too safe, so the series kind of went stale.

Moviewise, I think the best part was the "Genesis Trilogy" of II-III-IV, which was a great character-driven storyline that built wonderfully on everything that had been established in TOS. It would not have been possible to do those movies without the characters having been established for a long time as who they were (I will revisit this later). II in particular was a great analysis of Kirk's character and a good look at the negative aspects of what was a good character concept in the 60s. First Contact was very good in a similar vein; someone like Picard becoming unhinged would be unbelievable to most, but when you consider his history with the Borg it makes total sense why he'd lose perspective.

The worst movies would probably be the more recent films; Nemesis felt like it was written by someone who had never seen Star Trek, knew nothing about the characters except the bare minimum, and didn't really care. I approached Star Trek XI with caution; the idea of rebooting the series to tell new storylines without being hampered by canon made sense, but I couldn't really pass any judgment until I saw what those new stories were. Now after Into Darkness proved to be a rehash of Star Trek II without any of the elements that made Star Trek II great (the story was driven by the relationships between the characters and their personal history, both of which were erased by the timeline reboot), I have to say I'm not very hopeful for the next one either.

3. I'd say Captain Picard is one of my favorite characters. Aside from my early-childhood nostalgia for TNG, he really is the best and most well-balanced captain of them all. As someone mentioned, Kirk's alpha-male attitude was kind of a 20th-century relic and a different style of leadership would suit the future (something shown dramatically in Star Trek II, which is arguably about pointing out the flaws in Kirk's style). Picard seems more the type of leader the 24th century needs; someone who approaches things rationally and considers the best options carefully without having to be afraid of seeming "weak' if a non-aggressive option works best. Talking often is better than fighting in many cases, although if the only answer is to fight, he's more than capable of it.

Data was arguably the best concept for a character I've seen, and one of the most ambitious. Although handled rather poorly at first (Season 1 Data was just embarrassing at times), an android seeking to understand humanity raised lot of questions about what it means to be alive and what it means to be human and at what point does something become alive or sentient.

I'd also agree with Garak being one of the most interesting characters; you never really knew what was going on with him, and he had some of the best lines in the entire franchise. The whole pessimist-optimist dynamic between him and Dr. Bashir was also great to watch.

#8 DRex, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  9. Brytaleith

Star Trek! Whoo!

Okay, honestly wouldn't consider myself a Trekkie, but I do love the shows. I'll freely admit that I haven't finish watching the latter half of TOS season 3 or the other Star Trek shows but I will. I intend too, once i've gotten my final year out of the way.

What shows or films have you seen?
    All 6 TOS films, and the two reboot films

What are your favourite and least favourite of what you've seen?
    My favourite episode is The Trouble with Tribbles, just because it was such a breath of fresh air amidst all the grim episodes.

I really liked ST: II, III and IV because there was so much character development for all the characters, most of all Spock. And also because it felt like the most coherent part of the entire movie verse.

I detest the reboot with entire being. I feel that it seriously detracted from everything that Star Trek was. It had very little to do with science and those deep philosophical things that was characteristic of TOS and the few eps of TNG that I saw, and I thought JJ Abrams made it into an action movie with bits of science. I mean, sure, the casting was great? The script just wasn't.

Who are you favourite Star Trek characters of all time?
    Definitely Spock. Bones, Scotty and Sarek are also on the list. Kirk, surprisingly, I admit, is not really. He's cool, but not exactly my favourite? You gets?