1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats up with rap music

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Capricorn98, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    if there is one type of music i just dont like, its rap. ive tried to get into it but i really just dont like it.

for anyone who does like it, what about it do you like?

im not trying to say rap is rubbish i just personally cant stand it. it seems like chav music

2. Ryu

Ryu

An excerpt from one of my generic rap songs:

'All the bitches in the club yo,
    **** 'em right down,
    **** 'em right down,

All the bitches in the club yo,
    Drink them shots down,
    Drink them shots down,

All my ******* in the club yo,
    Shoot that cop down,
    Shoot that cop down,

All my bitches in the club yo,
    Gimme green stuff now,
    Gimme green stuff now,

I gotta pay mah hommie for them linnnneeeessss,
    Bitch for them linnnnnnnessss'

Put a generic beat to that and I bet that that would probably sell millions and I'd be set for at least 10 years if I played my card right.

But that's what I hate about rap. It's materialistic bullshit about cars, 'bitches', booze, drugs and money. Nothing more. I'll dabble in rap from the 80's and 90's when rap was a way to get off the streets and black people were still facing oppresion, where rap had meaning. But now? Now it's garbage.

#2 Ryu, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  3. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You hate rap because it's all about cars, bitches, booze, drugs, and money? Most genres such as Pop, Rock, R&B, Country etc. each have hundreds of songs about the same things
    And there's plenty of rap songs both in the past and currently that have great lyrics.

Why does rap have to be held to a higher standard than these other genres?

4. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

I agree with both Ryu and SomeDude...
    Rap does tend to be that, the popular songs anyway, but so do many other genres.
    It's just what's popular somehow...
    But if there's a rap song or pop that DOESN'T talk about BS... I'd love to know... Still not sure I'm too keen on the singing style of rap though, it's kinda just... fast talking... I, personally, don't find it so nice to listen to... But everyone's different.

#4 Bobsleigh1, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2016
  5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both of these genres were great until the early 90's, which I'm convinced is the time frame of the actual "day the music died".

#5 Argentwing, Apr 4, 2016
  6. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Rap was great until the 90s? Besides a few standouts such as Rakim, Chuck D, NWA, etc. Rap was much more simplistic in lyrics, flow, and beats before the 90s started

7. peachygogh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    there is decent rap, or variations of it, but it is the popular crap that is a disgrace to music

---------- Post added 4th Apr 2016 at 06:56 PM ----------

twenty one pilots is great though, they're not exactly rap, they are many genres, but their lyrics hold so much meaning. especially in their album Vessel, every song on that album is so meaningful. Its almost like slam poetry put to a ukelele, piano, other music, and drums.

8. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll translate this for people.

"I really hate rap music and seek approval of other people who hate rap music too. And it's what idiots listen to."

I may have improperly translated chav or whatever. Still, that is in essence what you are attempting to do.

9. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

I just knew this conversation would get heated...
    But, i agree with Em The Alien. There is good rap, in fact I was listening to some a second ago in the form of video game fansongs, but the popular songs of it tend to have pretty meaningless lyrics seemingly only written for the money... which is a huge shame, but the lyrics alone isn't just what music is about. If it's got a good beat and some rhythm, I listen to it all day regardless of genre.
    But I do love me some booootiful lyrics either way~
    Plus, any song takes a bit a skill to make whatever the genre or lyrics, so respect to all the artists out here regardless of genre.
    Although I do tend to just somehow end up in the indie rock genre so...
    I dunno... I'm just a weeb.

#9 Bobsleigh1, Apr 4, 2016
  10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    More complexity doesn't mean more quality. Not that I'm a rap connoisseur by any means, but I liked it better with simple beats, clear lyrics, and strong messages-- the same things I like in most other music with few exceptions. Drake may be able to say 10 words a second, but it's completely monotone, and after looking some of it up to better understand it, mostly meaningless. I know that's not really an argument because you could just say "maybe you don't like Drake" and I don't :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but he's quite popular and it shouldn't be too unfair to use him as a representative of the rest.

#10 Argentwing, Apr 4, 2016
  11. Justinian20

I'll tell you guys what rap might be good. Alternative hip hop is the rap I like, due to creativity and lyrical content is quite different. This stuff is rap but without many of those silly bitches and hoes, drugs, money lyrics, but many of the artists I listen to that are hip hop use electronic beats and even they use actual instruments.

#11 Justinian20, Apr 4, 2016
  12. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    i was worried i would come across like that but that wasn't my intention, I was just curious as to why people like it. Rap is in many of todays pop songs and is pretty much everywhere yet its the only type of music i dont like, i think its because there doesnt seem to be much of a melody, just words being spoken.

it was wrong of me to say 'I cant stand it' as many people do, including you it seems

when i said its for chavs, i was just saying how where i live, i hear rap the most when its being blasted out loud by chavs and none of my friends listen to rap. i suppose the fact that i dont like chavs has made me dislike rap, it wasnt my intention to label everyone who likes rap as a chav.

if anyone has suggestions for rap music that has a melody i would love to listen to it, since i have never come accross one

13. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Can't stand Rap, Country, or Screamo music... just not my thing personally.
    (Plus the extreme bass that comes with most rap songs can give me a pounding headache even if the car is several meters and a few walls away, so puts it at the top of the list. Your music is too loud when you're rattling my windows!)

I'm okay with most other stuff, but mostly listen to Chiptune myself. It's uplifting, at least for me... Great after a long day, to settle down and draw to. There's other genres I listen to but I don't know if they even have a name.

14. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

What Justinian20 said sounded pretty good, I feel like I could get into that. You explain it such a great way too, so much respect~
    And, you didn't come across that way to me Capricorn98, it's cool. (Even though I'm not someone who listens to rap but... you know.) Also love the fairy tail avatar, just really needed to compliment that somewhere.
    Anyway, everyone has different opinions, it's fine to like different music, but people seem to be straying from the question that was asked... 'what do you like about rap?' ... Just thought I'd remind people?

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2016 at 02:55 AM ----------

In response to Kira, yeah, chiptune's great ! Such a great sound somehow.
    But, yeah, same, rap, country and screamo aren't first choice, but if I happen across a good one of them I'll take it. It's best to just listen to the song rather than dismiss it at fhe sight of the genre, that how I do things anyway.
    Country isn't always terrible for me though, just not my first choice.

15. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People tend to admire the popularity, rhythm, rhyming, and lyrics of rap music, but I prefer pieces with memorable melodies.

Music preferences are very subjective and individualistic, and are also shaped by culture.

16. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rap is a large genre of music, and like any genre of music, it has a lot of variance within it. Yes, a lot of recent rap that has become mainstream consists of the typical "I'm rich and you're not" lyrics to a Mike Will Made It-style generic trap beat, but there is also a whole world of hip hop out there with a lot more depth. You just have to be willing to look for it.

To be perfectly honest, I often like some of the rap songs that just talk about smoking weed, spending money, and how cool the rapper's "crew" is. Rap, like pop, is a genre where I can tolerate some shallowness. I know that by saying this, I'm probably angering both the pro- and anti-rap sides, but it is what it is.

And now, some Kreayshawn:

[youtube]ptzfL4og6fM[/youtube]

17. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I personally don't listen to the lyrics of music that often, my main focus with music are the melodies, pitches and rhythms (aka mainly just the music itself). words in music are really an afterthought when I listen to music, ill only really start picking up on them after the 5th or 6th listen of a song.

And well, from most rap ive really listened to, there is barely any pitching involved, and well its only really based on the rhythm that the words are said. With a lot of rap music, you could just hit a drum in time with the words, and it would be the same musically. For me, that's pretty boring.

I mean, the human voice can do so so so many things, its just a shame that its not fully utilised in rap music to its fullest potential. If you like rap music, go ahead I don't really mind, but just personally, ill stick with some psychedelic rock or something.

18. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

Libertino, that was perfect~

---------- Post added 5th Apr 2016 at 05:37 AM ----------

Oh god, this was also perfect, it totally reminded me how important the rhythm and voice work is as well as lyrics !! And, yes, psychedelic rock !! Okay, I need to stop posting on this thread, my posts are becoming way too frequent here...! I just love music and hearing people's opinions on it, I guess.

#18 Bobsleigh1, Apr 4, 2016
  19. Justinian20

You are the first person who actually I would say gives every genre a listen and I commend you for that, me I personally love creative music and I also love music that stimulates my imagination, space and fantasy themes are really great ones.

I also give all music a chance no matter what, even if because I dislike growls I might try and listen to the artists cause you don't know what it will sound like unless you listen to it.

#19 Justinian20, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  20. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree there is decent rap, but I must admit I'm so bored of it after having listened for almost 20 years - definitely want to discover something fresh