1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone like Studio Ghibli?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Electric Puns, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Electric Puns

I was watching Spirited Away recently, and I remembered how much I love Studio Ghibli. Is anyone else a fan? What is your favourite Studio Ghibli film?
    (P.S. If you ever watch Grave of the Fireflies, make sure you have a lot of tissues to hand because that film is devastating!)

2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes. Yes, I do. My favorite Ghibli film is Howl's Moving Castle, but I like every one I've seen so far.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Howl's Moving Castle (Hauru no Ugoku Shiro), as was mentioned above^, is a really homely, cuddly film, and I love it to death.

However. There is one film... One film to rule them all and in the darkness bind me. Why do I like it so much? Well, I generally like fantasy a lot - but when realism is done right, I really, really love it - and that's the case with Whisper of the Heart (Mimi o Sumaseba, which translates more literally to something like 'if you listen closely'). It's. So. Darn. Good. Set in Tokyo, it depicts the often harsh lives of young Japanese students (and the protagonist in particular, obviously). And then it gets really romantic and stuff and gyaah. Such cute. Best movie of all time.

Studio Ghibli is masterly art as well as superb entertainment.

4. RainDreamer

I watched a few from them, but I will never touch Grave of the Fireflies. My heart can't handle all that feel, just from reading the plot on wiki. I think I will dehydrate myself to death from all the crying I will get watching it.

My favourite is Princess Mononoke though, one of the movie with my favourite songs and wonderful world setting and amazing character building.

#4 RainDreamer, Apr 9, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  5. Eolwen

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I watched Grave of the Fireflies minutes before an oral exam... I thought it would be relaxing... It was a terrible mistake T-T

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I heard it was now free to use? I know it's the very same program used in several impressive films. I gave up on animation ages ago when my art became more complicated, but if that's true I'd still love to try it out. Could never afford a real animation program so I literally just drew a bunch of frames and put them in windows move maker max speed, audio didn't always agree with it and I wasn't the best with lip synching.

While it wasn't too hard to animate facial expressions that way, it was incredibly difficult to make a character walk around or anything like that. If it's worth it, I'll re-learn digital art I suppose? Bet it would be a lot smoother anyway. :lol:

7. Ryu

Ryu

I watched grave of the fireflies and didn't cry. I have no soul.

Also, Nausicaa is my favourite. Great film.

Followed by the cat returns and ocean waves.

#7 Ryu, Apr 9, 2016
  8. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I love Howl's Moving Castle, but the book was better still (as they always are!).

I always want to listen endlessly to a sepcific instrument after seeing a Ghibli film: violin after Whisper of the Heart, accordion after The Cat Returns.
    Even at its worst, Ghibli is still good.

9. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Studio Ghibli is heaven. I love it!

One of my favorite films they have made is My Neighbor Totoro.

10. Jellal

Castle in the Sky is probably my favorite.

11. aceabegq

Out Status:
    A few people
    One of my family members is absolutely in love with Studio Ghibli, as they should be!

The art in Spirited Away is so so beautiful, and the story, the music, the imagination just ... I wish there were more films of that quality. Do you know of any similar to it?

-Ace

#11 aceabegq, Apr 9, 2016
  12. PrettyinPunk

I absolutely adore Studio Ghibli! Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli create such amazing, inspiring, imaginative, and beautiful works of art and storytelling.

Spirited Away is my favorite, besides other Miyazaki movies I don't think there's much that compares closely.
    When I watch it I often get reminded of other movies I loved in my childhood like the Neverending Story and the Labyrinth.

If it's just animated movies, Disney/Pixar ofc, there's the Girl who Kept through Time, similar in style. Origins Spirits of the Past is pretty ok, a little darker and not as charming but creative, more action/fantasy/sci-fi ish. Oh and the Secret of the Kells is also beautiful and interesting. There's also a ton of wonderful anime out there if your interested in such things.

13. Electric Puns

Yeah, I used to make Lego stop motion films with Windows Movie Maker at max speed! But they are making the program available to everyone, so maybe you could try animating again? Here's the URL for the program, anyway- it's called OpenToonz. https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html

14. CameronMR

I love kiki's delivery service, Nausicaa, princess mononoke, spirited away, totoro, ponyo, howels moving castle, castle in the sky, whisper of the heart, the cat returns, and many more--pompoko is friggin hilarious!

15. guitar

I loved Wind Rises.

16. radicalmuffins

Out Status:
    A few people
    I like When Marnie was There~ it's my new favourite.

17. luminescent

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I adore Studio Ghibli. Watching Miyazaki's films makes me feel so safe and at peace :')
    I just want to jump inside of the universe of My Neighbor Totoro and chill out there until the end of time.

18. IronyIsMySkill

Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh god, yes. Spirted Away was my childhood movie I would always watch. As was My Neighbor Totoro.

19. i is shark

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am sooo obsessed with it!!!
    Howl's moving castle!!!
    Totoro!!!
    Ponyo!!!
    Everything else!!!

20. NiaJ

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Spirited Away will forever hold the number one spot in my heart, followed shortly by Kiki's Delivery Service (childhood feels too strong..can't be helped haha) and Howl's Moving Castle. I remember the first few times I watched Spirited Away as a kid. I thought it was the most bizarre movie, yet I couldn't for the life of me stop watching. As for Grave of the Fireflies ... Last year of HS our librarian decides to put it on for us during club activities and well.. I wept manly tears that day. Zero shame.

Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky are next for me.