1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Procrastinating story thread, what's your guess?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Canterpiece, Apr 29, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, as you can see from the title of this thread, I am indeed procrastinating. After being sucked into a few "let's plays" on YouTube of "The beginners guide", it gave me an idea.

I haven't written a mystery story before, but this idea of this game sort of inspired me to, in a weird sort of way.

So I've started writing this first person narrative story, and I thought it might be interesting to have people guess what the story is about based on the opening itself and nothing else.

We did something similar in English recently, where we read short descriptions of people and had to describe what the bigger picture we got from it was, how we viewed this person and how we imaged this person to look like based on one short description at a time.

So I'm going to put my opening in a
    tag. The idea being that people guess what the situation is, to say what impression they get from them (i.e, what do you think their personality is like etc), perhaps even some guesses on appearance? Basically just any first impressions you get from this. I know they say that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but in this case I want people to, just out of curiosity really. Well, opening rather than a cover but...never mind. :eusa_doh:

I'm probably going to regret posting this thread. Oh well. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I wish I could show it somehow you know? The way I feel, the things I see. My experience. I know it isn't real, but to a part of me it feels more real than reality itself sometimes. I'm no artist. Sure, I could learn how to draw but that takes time. Yeah I know, I'm being lazy but I just wish there was an easier way to convey all of this. I wish you could just attach something to your head and show what's on your mind like a screen at a cinema. At least that way it'd take up less of my time, that way maybe I'd feel more motivated to actually do the things that I'm meant to be working on.

I know that I have to face reality sooner or later, but for now I'd rather not. Reality is too complicated. At least with fiction it's easier to live in a made up World of your own creation. It just is really. At least with this World of mine people understand me. They get me. And I get them. Reality isn't so clear cut. It isn't black and white like that. It's more just a giant field filled with grey. Don't get me wrong, I think life can have its black and white moments, those areas of certainty. I think in a way we overcomplicate things.

But then again, you probably don't care about those things. Or maybe you do. I don't really know what I'm supposed to tell you. Scratch that, I'm not even sure what I can tell you. What do you want to know? There's really just so much I don't really know where to begin. This is all just stupid.

See? I drew a line through it like you wanted me to. I know how much you despise me for scribbling out my mistakes. So yeah, at least it goes to show that I'm learning. I still don't see a point to this nonsense.

I guess if we're going to do this then I might as well do it properly then. I guess I should start on how my day went. I suppose there's no harm in that is there?

Well I got out of bed, as usual. I went through my morning routine, as usual. I got chased by some stupid dog, as usual. There's nothing to tell. I wish I could just leave this entry like this, but I know that's never good enough for you. I know that I can't get out of this stu arrangement by acting like that. Still, at least this way it's easier than having to talk to you in person.

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Situation: This person, a young woman I imagined, is writing down all of this to herself as if she was a different person. I imagine her sitting cross-legged at a window, listening to the bustle of the city though the window faces out to a wall.
    It's the beginning of the story of how she learns to express herself and live the life she wants. (I have no idea about what kind of journey she would go on to do this though).

Character: She's young, uncertain of what she wants from life. She's made some observations and prefers to listen and watch the world than interact very actively. She doesn't know how to express herself. Draw? She can't, but she can write. So she will write to herself; the recipient is the more critical, cynical and decisive side of herself. I imagine her in fashionable, loose clothing - practical but with subtle flair. She feels she can't face up to the more critical side of herself full on without indirectly facing it through writing - she can't face her problems and criticisms of herself head on, 'in person'.

--

That was fun (if a bit revealing about me)!

#2 Connorcode, Apr 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2016
  3. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm...it's interesting that you saw the narrator as female. Can I ask why? I'm not saying that's right or wrong (after all, I've got to keep some mystery to this thread! :icon_wink)I'm just interested what gave you the impression even if in this case it was just a random guess or something.