1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are some good places to visit in the US, that aren't typically touristy?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, May 6, 2016.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

Although I say I want to go to a lot of places, one of the places I really want to tick off my bucket list, is North America.

Although I will most likely visit NYC and SF in the US at some point, I would much rather, for a first trip, go somewhere 'less touristy'. So, straight away, NY, California and Florida are off of the list for the US for the minute. (No offence if you're from either of these).

I'm really interested in places like Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, etc.

Can anyone recommend any nice places to visit in the USA, that aren't primarily thought of as a 'tourist' destination (to non-natives)?

Thanks,

Joe.

2. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It really depends on what you're looking to do there

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    California has a lot to offer, both in terms of nature and cities. American culture significantly varies depending on what region of the States you visit, though.

What interests you?

#3 Kodo, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. rudysteiner

What I'm looking for, on this visit, is to see what America is like outside of the big, huge tourist destinations.
    I'm not a massive fan of huge, bustling cities, and want to see the 'hidden gems' the US has on offer before I get do the generic tourist route, which I'd like to save for when I'm in a relationship.

My main interests are literature and history if that's any help. I really love the Beat Generation, Whitman, Steinbeck, Tennessee Williams, so I can't even decide between the North or the South.

When I visualised this trip, I pictured it as more of a

[​IMG]

aesthetic, and less of a

[​IMG]

aesthetic. If that makes any sense at all. Apologies for the huge images.

#4 rudysteiner, May 7, 2016
    Last edited: May 7, 2016
  5. OutofZCloset

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many years back my wife and i went on a road trip for two weeks in the fall. We drove around the north eastern states during the fall. We did Vermont, Maine, Rhode Island, NY (Niagara falls), Connecticut, and ended up in Providence Town (which is a gay hot spot). The colors are beautiful and it makes for a wonderful trip. Niagara Falls can be touristy but it really is cool to see. So go rent a car and start driving. . All the states are really close together and it makes for a nice road trip.

#5 OutofZCloset, May 7, 2016
  6. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If I were you I'd avoid the state of Arizona. It's hot and dry this time of year, and it's not very accepting to people like us.

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tennessee is beautiful and very much fits the picture you posted. There is rich seasonal variety, not a lot of bustling tourism, plus it has a lovely Southern culture. Perfect destination for music lovers (esp. Rock n' Roll and Country) would be the Nashville area.

Southerners are generally hospitable and Tennessee I think is a very good part of the South - not too hick. I lived there and it is gorgeous. Lots of foliage/forests, hills, rivers, and whatnot.

Lots of history and culture. The food is great in the South, and don't forget the Sweet Tea.

Might be worth looking into...

#7 Kodo, May 7, 2016
  8. Cedar

One place I'd suggest is going to Chestnut Hill, PA. I lived there for a couple of years and there's a beautiful walking path there and also there's a small restaurant(I think it was at the beginning of the trail but I don't remember) there with some really really good Cheesesteaks. I think there's a way you can ride a horse along said trail, if you don't like horses, go off the main trail and go along some of the small paths, it's beautiful. Chestnut Hill isn't really a touristy area, can be slightly expensive and also I'd recommend checking out the surrounding cities while you're at it. I honestly don't know how open they are to LGBT+ people since I wasn't really paying attention to it at the time, so sorry about that.

I really liked living in Virginia Beach as well but they aren't really all that nice towards LGBT+ people. The people who don't say anything about it are the ones you have to be careful with, sure there's those idiots that will say stuff but the quiet ones... It's a bit more of a touristy area but to be honest, I'd suggest going during the winter season. There's not very many people at the beach(but local beach shops will most likely be closed) but I kind of enjoyed walking along the empty beach compared to the typical tourist season. Also, go to Sally's Bakery and get the Pancit, it's soooo good there and don't forget to get the freshly made Lumpia(don't get the frozen stuff), just to warn you ahead to time they only accept cash there.

#8 Cedar, May 7, 2016