1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fights

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sigtu12034, May 8, 2016.

1. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi
    I would like to learn how to fight.
    Which is the best fighting sport: MMA, Judo, Taekwondo... Etc

Thank you :slight_smile:

2. PrettyinPunk

That's kind of a broad question. I have to ask why do want to learn how to fight or what do want to gain from learning a fighting style? Also there's not really a best, just what fits for you.

If you just want to pick up some basic fighting techniques and gain strength, I'd recommend boxing and or kickboxing. Basic self defence is a good starting point too.

If you want a specific and disciplined fighting style where you may learn about culture/ideals a martial art like judo, taekwondo, karate, might interest you.

MMA is a hodgepodge of different fighting styles. Good for the basics I suppose. You might focus on a lot of boxing and grappling techniques.

I have personal bias on some styles but I think all these options would be fun and ok for a beginner.

3. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks.
    I am looking for a fight where there are more tricks like throwing people on the floor than punching and kicking.

4. PrettyinPunk

No problem!
    We'll there's plenty of takedowns in karate or kung fu styles. Judo focuses a lot on using balance to throw opponents, look into hapkido too.

5. Umme

I do tae kwon do and I know that it won't really be useful in a real fight, but it's good for learning how to kick.

6. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I would say Kickboxing but only because I do it :slight_smile:. Thai boxing looks cool too.

7. Lazuri

If you want a martial art to defend yourself rather than for competitive purposes, then Kali/Arni/Eskrima (all different names for the same martial art) is probably your best bet. It's a martial art from the Philippines that focuses on counter throws and using the enemy's strength and weight against them--it also focuses on the use of more common weapon like knives and batons, the latter one especially.

This martial art wasn't meant for competitions and has been commonly used since its creation by Filipino street gangs due to its effectivity and its potency with easily available weapons. Very good for self defense as telescopic batons are easily concealable, not heavy, legal in many countries and extremely potent.

Might be a bit difficult to find a school teaching it, though.

8. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I took two different styles of martial art: Taekwondo and Judo. Pairing these two styles is a good idea, as it allows you to understand different approaches to fighting. You will rarely or never need to actually use martial arts in real life, but taking a martial art trains your body in case something happens. As someone said, you could do some research about hapkido, which, according to Wikipedia, is "highly eclectic".

9. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you everyone for the helpful answers!

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    MMA isn't a style. It stands for "mixed martial arts" and is usually used as the name for the sport where people of different disciplines can fight under a forgiving set of rules to better simulate street conditions. Although in the UFC (the biggest mma league) usually Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Muay Thai are the dominant styles.

That said I have recently become a fan of the kung-fu style called Wing Chun. I'm one of the chumps who learned about it after seeing the Ip Man movie :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: but it doesn't require acrobatics or great strength to be effective. Some of its students include Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan, so it can't be total crap. :slight_smile:

#10 Argentwing, May 8, 2016
    Last edited: May 8, 2016
  11. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Brazalian Jiu Jitsu is another sport that you could have an interest in. it involves a lot of grappling.

12. GRM

GRM

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I did taekwando but you should do MMA like this you can learn almost every thing.

13. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah MMA teaches almost everything in general.
    I started taking MMA lessons, thank you everybody for your help :slight_smile:

14. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been doing karate for just about 10 years :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: it's served me pretty well and it's very much focussed on self defence with no weapons

---------- Post added 12th May 2016 at 08:53 PM ----------

PS. I practition specifically Wado Ryu Karate, a more modern style that was created in the last century..

15. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually wanted to learn karate, but there aren't any places near me that give Karate lessons