1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a Theatre Kid

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by TheSideKick, May 9, 2016.

1. TheSideKick

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello to all my theatre/acting buddies! Let me introduce myself, I'm an aspiring theatre kid who has already worked in tech and ensemble this year. I have found something that I actually feel apart of and would like to grow better so by the end of high school I have played one lead or a stage manager. Since I'm sure there has to be at least a few drama fans on EC, I want to ask; what should I do to get to my goal, any key points to remember, or just general advice or comments about high school theatre? Any bit of help is appreciated, thanks for reading!

2. MayaBee

Well, the only thing I can say is to take it serious, and don't just play it off by saying it is "only" a school theatre. It may actually be something for your future!
    Oh and btw, really glad to see another theatre/drama fanatic around here haha. :slight_smile:

3. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this completely. And I certainly hope there's more theater lovers on here. But anyway, there's also the aspect of knowing your own limits. Now I know how pessimistic that sounds but it's true. For instance I know I'm not a very good singer. I've even had some voice coaching but I just don't have the pipes for it. So for me personally I perform better overall in comedies and dramas. It helps a lot that my school typically does a winter drama and then a spring musical/comedy so I get a lot of opportunities. And one last thing I feel is worth mentioning; if you ever put on Macbeth, respect the curse.

4. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oooh, theatre people, sweet! I'm going to college to be a theatre major, and I'm super pumped. I really want to be an actor. :grin:

People above have pretty much covered what I was going to say. Honestly, do your best and have fun. Make sure to work on your lines, or come tech week you're gonna have...an unpleasant experience. Never audition for one part, play every part in an audition to the best of your ability. The more diverse chops you can show off, the better you'll be in the director's eyes. And yes. Absolutely respect the Macbeth curse.