1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you like superhero films?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Robert, May 10, 2016.

?

Do you like superhero films as a whole?

1. I pretty much love them to bits

27.8%
  2. Yes

44.4%
  3. No

13.9%
  4. I pretty much hate them

13.9%
  1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you like superhero films as a whole?

I never really liked them to begin with but now its just getting ridiculous with the amount of superhero garbage coming out. I'm absolutely sick of them.

#1 Robert, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do like watching superhero films, but I am picky in choosing what to watch.

3. idcidc

I hate them as well,I just can't understand what's so good about superheros.when I was a kid I liked batman but that's just about it,and tbh ure right about being bombarded with so many superhero films lately..its just different tastes,I prefer movies that make you think and question about stuff

4. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love them, I've watched every Marvel movie in the last week and I watch about one superhero movie a week on average.

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hate 'em.

6. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

Personally, I don't tend to get much joy out of them... but I do have a lot of respect for comics and superhero series and i know my entire family loves them so... ԅ(º﹃ºԅ)

7. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Some of them are good, but overall, I think they're pretty overrated.

8. JessicaJones

My taste in film ranges from very obscure all the way up to and including superhero films. My favorite parts of these films involve the protagonists figuring out what they can do/what they're capable of. But you know, of course I would say that because I am a superhero.

#8 JessicaJones, May 10, 2016
  9. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a pretty big comics fan, I hate most superhero movies (and/or shows).

It's not even about adapting the source material past recognition. That I can live with. It hurts me a bit as a fan to see good characters and arcs misrepresented, but if its enjoyable then theres no reason to discredit it based on that. What getd me is the shit writing full of cliches, tropes, and zero character dimension. The movies are written for scenes and characters, and not for story.

Tbh all comic movies seem kinda hit or miss. :grin: Avengers was a good movie (a bit too watered down for my tastes but nbd) but then Avengers 2 was just kind of uninteresting, rehashed and not something I could get invested in. Also the reused jokes really started to grate on my nerves :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

BvS was weird and poorly written and Batfleck was just about the only redeeming quality. But Nolan U is intriguing and beautiful and a great showcase of talent and source material.

The world of (live action) comic movies seem torn between making a quick buck, and actually giving us a quality film.

At the end of the day, superheros are selling right now, and unless people stop going to see them, we're just gonna keep getting these flicks.

10. Sigtu12034

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It usually depends. I LOVE ARROW!

11. blightedsight

When Iron Man came out, I was completely on board with Superhero movies(well, Marvel ones - Superman has just never appealed to me and brooding Batman just gets too broody and dark) and totally jumped on the bandwagon following the MCU.
    But then by the time Guardians of the Galaxy came out, I was spent.
    The movies are still pretty good, but I just can't be bothered with them any more.
    MCU, X-Men, Wolverine, DCU and everything inbetween, just feels like a constant churning out and I'm done.

In a few years I'll probably find things like Ant Man on Netflix and watch them, but for now, I'm done.

Oh and don't get me started on the TV shows.

#11 blightedsight, May 10, 2016
  12. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm in the middle somewhere. They can be entertaining but aren't my favorites.

13. Ryu

Ryu

They've oversaturated the market, and if you want to watch the latest marvel film, you have to have seen all of the other ones to know what's going on, and there's to many to watch so you can find out what's happening, so you don't see the next, which causes you to not see the next because you know you won't know what's happening, and so on.

The only 'good' one in my opinion is the first iron man film, because you can watch it as a standalone hokum action film, not something in a 'greater universe'. I guess the dark knight films also work here because there are only three in a seperated world, which isn't too many and uses the same characters in general. But other than those four, I pretty much hate them. Too many to care about or be emotinally invested in since there's about three coming out every year until 2020. The amount of marvel films is too goddamn high.

But I think that about now is the time when it's become marmite. You've either seen all yhe films and follow the 'universal story arc' or whatever and you love it and live it and breathe it and so on, or you have only seen a few, and they don't work as standalone action films, and aren't particularly outsanding films anyway, and kinda hate them.

The amount of films coming out though means that quality is bound to drop from what it is already, and that isn't good news if you like this stuff.

That was probably really incoherent, so basically I hate them.

14. Glowing Eyes

I used to like them but now there's just too dann many of them coming out all the time with sequel after sequel, no consequences for anybody, and trailers that give away the best parts of the movie. I actually like Ant Man and Civil War but overall I've lost interest in the Genre.

(When I say superhero movies I mean the MCU; I love the X-men series, mostly)

#14 Glowing Eyes, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016
  15. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like them, but don't think they are the "best thing ever." The only one which I consider to be a masterpiece of a superhero movie and a film in general is The Dark Knight.

16. HunterRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Personally, though I enjoyed Nolan's trilogy and thought they were good films in their own right and as part of the superhero genre I didn't feel they accurately represented Batman.

I honestly don't think the market's oversaturated with them. Superhero films are a genre like any other, there's gonna be people who love and breathe em and people who hate em and people in between. And the quality of the films depends on the team behind it as opposed to anything else (look at Deadpool, or the critical acclaim of Marvel's Netflix shows)

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They're okay.