1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Laverne Cox as Frank-n-Furter?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Ravienclaw, May 14, 2016.

1. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As you may of heard, a reboot of The Rocky Horror Picture Show is in the making and they've cast Laverne Cox as Frank-n-Furter.

...Does anyone else see a problem with that? Frank-n-Furter is a crossdressing man, a self proclaimed "sweet transvestite" and that's kind of the main point of his character. I don't think a transgender woman should be given the role of a male transvestite, especially since right now it's pretty crucial to show people that transgender women are not just crossdressing men. I love Ms. Cox, but I'm a bit disappointed about her taking this role.

They were originally going to give Adam Lambert this part (and he'd be freaking amazing for it), but he turned it down saying that a trans character shouldn't be played by a cis actor... but Frank-n-Furter identifies as male and uses male pronouns throughout the entire production. He just likes wearing make up and lingerie. :|

What are your thoughts on this?

#1 Ravienclaw, May 14, 2016
    Last edited: May 14, 2016
  2. HerrinDesFeuers

I haven't heard about it yet, but I totally agree with you.

3. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It depends on how they do it really. Despite the terms used, Frank-n-Furter is pretty non-binary, and technically not a 'man' (since he's an alien and all). There are so many different shades of grey on the trans spectrum that, really, Laverne Cox's representation could still fit with the character (it just wouldn't be the Tim Curry version).

I've seen some pictures of the cast, honestly it looks like they're gonna do a... 'cleaner', more polished kinda style. So having a 'fully' transitioned Frank-n-Furter might be what they're aiming for? I don't really like it.

4. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think we're just going to have to wait and watch. See, Laverne Cox did accept the role, so I'm sure she's aware of the gravity of it. As far as I knew with regards to Lambert though, he just felt he wouldn't be able to pull it off, maybe I'm not up to date with that.

I think the issue here is with the intent behind the film itself. As in, is it a mere tribute, and do you need to have seen the original to enjoy this one? If that's the case then I don't see it as a problem really, since female Franks have been in shadowcasts as long as they've been around.
    But if the film intends to stand on its own as an independent work then I can see why it might be problematic and kind of degrading. But then again, Cox must know what she's doing. I hope so, anyway.

I don't have very high hopes for this movie in general though. Have you seen the pictures they released? What the hell is up with Magenta and Riff Raff?

5. PrettyinPunk

I don't currently have an opinion on the topic question. (Just found out about this now) but I have to ask what's the point of a reboot. The original was fine, how can I watch a new version without Tim Curry? Hollywood is nothing sacred to you?

Oh well, I hope it turns out to be brilliant.

6. Cedar

I think I'm going to wait and see it before really saying anything about it. I do agree with you though on Frank-N-Furter. However, I think it's best to wait until more info is available to see what direction they wanted to go with this reboot.

7. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To be honest, am actually excited for it. While I have some concerns, I think she's going to pull it off, and put a new spin on it. While this is only coming from memory, I was certain that Tim Curry is going to be the narrator? Either way, I think we shouldn't judge until it comes out.

8. Domosuke

Domosuke Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm pissed because Laverne Cox I believe is a black american post op MTF. Who is now considered a woman.

Frank n Furter is a gay WHITE british crossdressing man.

So not only is this iconic character being royally screwed, but it's very disrespectful, and if I were Laverne Cox, I would have never accepted this role.

Neil Patrick Harris or Matt Bomer would have been excellent choices.

I'm also pissed because it seems Laverne Cox is still incorrectly referred to as a gay feminine man and it's sad.

I also would like to see other black LGBT actors showcased. It seems Laverne Cox is everywhere now.

#8 Domosuke, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
  9. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just an update, there is a little sneak peak of it online, I didn't get to watch it with sound, but from what It looks like, it actually looks pretty darn good. I might change my opinion when my ears can hear it though

Another thing for people to keep in mind, is that they are titling it as a reimagining, and not a reboot, so changing some things up is to be expected in some ways. I think from just seeing the design, that I can go into it positively. Keep in mind, it could be so so so much worse, they could of 100% changed everything, or changed absolutely nothing and give us the exact same thing, which would just be a waste of everyones time.

10. dragon20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I guess I kinda agree with both sides. I love the original and I don't think that can be replicated so it might be fun to see something different. On the other hand, I think they should at least stay true to the source material. I'm not about to judge it before I see it though. Basically I can't say it's bad until I actually see it. The short preview clip I saw made it look interesting at least. Is it gonna be good? I dunno. Different? For sure. We'll just have to wait and see.

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Part of me feels conflicted since it does sound vaguely transphobic; but I do see people say that technically Frank-n-Furter is an alien, so I dunno..