1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

computer help please?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by theworld, Feb 27, 2009.

1. theworld

I'm at a loss. I changed my cpu this morning from Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 to Intel Quad Core Q9450 and now my second year and a half old Seagate Barracuda hard drive isn't recognized at all, not even during post. I double checked all the cables to make sure I hadn't knocked one loose, and I switched all the cables and mobo ports to make sure that wasn't the problem.

Any ideas?

2. tm74

tm74 Guest

You say it's the second drive - were you running a Raid configuration? It's possible the BIOS has returned to factory state with the CPU change (as it would have to in order to recognise the new CPU) - is there a seperate post POST RAID bios?

Can you give more information about the rest of the config - what other drives, what motherboard, etc.?

3. theworld

nope, it wasn't in raid.

specs are:
    XP Pro 32bit
    Intel Quad Core Q9450
    4GB Patriot DDR2 800mhz RAM
    EVGA 780i mobo
    2 hdds - western digital Raptor(still working) and Seagate Barracuda

4. tm74

tm74 Guest

elimination time - you say the Raptor is still be detected - if you swap the connectors (basically, plug the Seagate drive into the port on the mobo where the Raptor was, using the Raptor's cable) - is the seagate then detected.

Basically change one thing at a time, we have a known good mobo socket and cable, so we need to use those to check if the Barracuda drive is working. Also, use the power lead from the Raptor.

--

Just seen you already tried swapping mobo ports and cables - with no joy. Try just the Seagate drive on it's own, without the Raptor.

Also might be worth checking if there's a BIOS upgrade for the mobo...

#4 tm74, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2009
  5. theworld

I did exactly that already...nothing. :frowning2:

6. tm74

tm74 Guest

Hmmm - might be better to ask the question over the EVGA forums - I can only do limited diagnostics from several time zones away...

however, it might be worth trying the hard drive in a different PC - just to prove it's still working, and didn't suffer some static shock or something during your upgrade. Worst case scenario you might have to restore onto a new disk from your last backup. You do have a backup?

Try here: http://www.evga.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=38

Good luck.

(quick reminder to anyone else reading this thread - there are two types of computer user - those who have lost data to a hard drive failure, and those who are going to lose data to a hard drive failure. Take backups. Often.)

7. theworld

It's not broken because I took it out and put it in an external case plugging it back into my computer via usb after which I promptly made a new backup, my last one was a couple months old. so yeah...I don't get it.

8. tm74

tm74 Guest

OK - so it works in the external case, but not connected directly. Rules out the drive being faulty.

Some SATAII drives (don't know if your Seagate has or not) have a jumper on them to reduce the speed to 150 - might be worth trying that - I've personally seen some versions of some motherboards (e.g the ASUS board in my current machine) just "not like" certain models of hard drive (e.g. the Samsung SATAII drive that I spent ours trying to sort out on my current machine) in SATA II mode.

Although why that would start happening after the CPU was changed, I dunno. Did you need to update the BIOS to add support for the CPU?