1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positive LGBTQ+ Films/TV shows?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by wallflower93, May 23, 2016.

1. wallflower93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm wondering if anyone could recommend any films or TV shows that follow LGBTQ+ people in their stories.

There is a TV show that I have been watching recently that I really really like, and I credit watching that show for giving me the courage to come to a web site like this and talk. It’s called “The Real O’Neals”, and it’s about an American family who tries to maintain the facade of the “perfect family”. When their teenage son comes out as gay the family must then adjust to each other’s truths and live a real life instead of maintaining a fake facade. What I love about the show is how incredibly normalised Kenny is. His homosexuality is not presented as abnormal in any way. The show is told entirely through Kenny’s point of view, and it’s refreshing to have a story told through the eyes of a young gay teen who is navigating the world post-coming out. It is a sitcom so there is an element of comedy present, but there are serious and important moments like confronting his homophobic grandmother, or the process of coming out, etc. It depicts these moments with a maturity and sophistication I have never seen in the TV shows before, and it is very well done. I connect with the show's main character in many ways, and I highly recommend it to anybody.

Some films I've written down but haven't watched yet are:
    Boys (2015)
    Geography Club (2013)
    Hoje Eu Quero Voltar Sozinho (The Way He Looks) (2014)

I'm curious to know what other people have seen and might recommend!

2. denouement

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've been enjoying the shows Orphan Black and The Fosters. Orphan Black just has all sorts of LGBT characters. It's very interesting although I find I have to focus on watching to appreciate it. It seems popular and has good reviews though. The Fosters centers around a little family with lesbian parents, and the focus is the events happening to the moms and kids. I've gotten really into it despite starting on a whim.

The Real ONeals sounds like the kind of show I like to watch while running so I will have to check it out :slight_smile:

3. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Modern Family (obvious choice - I've watched a few episodes and I think it's a tad overrated but still pretty fun)
    The Imitation Game (it doesn't focus on Alan Turing's homosexuality exclusively, but it's still a great film in its own right with some heartfelt scenes and Benedict Cumberbatch is in it, which is always a plus)
    Kill Your Darlings (one of my favorite films of all time that I'd highly recommend - the cinematography, acting, and music are absolutely wonderful, and it's got a great and interesting story based on true events surrounding Alan Ginsberg and other Beat Generation poets)
    But I'm A Cheerleader (a guilty pleasure of mine and okay to watch if you're bored)

4. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If you like musicals and you haven't seen Rent yet, that's a great place to go. Even if you don't like musicals you should give it a shot. Don't watch the film though (it's not that good) watch the filmed version of the stage show instead.

5. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I liked the first three seasons of The L Word.

6. A Mindful Wolf

Are you up for subtitles?

C.R.A.Z.Y. is a fun film that treats gay themes just like another family movie which is refreshing.
    Beautiful Thing, cos Mama Cass soundtrack <3
    Can't Think Straight - quite a bad movie, but endearing and portray "normal" Muslim/Jewish girls (well, they're from rich families but whatevssss)
    Jongens - Nice cinematography, kinda self-contained storyline and isn't super dramatic just because it's gay.
    Carol - I'm just fascinated by Cate Blanchett's hair *o*
    Laurence Anyways - Trans film; first time I felt like I understood trans people more, despite realizing she is a woman, Laurence still only has one real passion for one person - gender isn't who you fuck, also great fashion :grin:
    Mine Vaganti (Loose Cannons I think?) - Italian film : HILARIOUS. The director is really fucking good at having gay characters in his films without their sexuality taking over the entire thing. It's usually secondary to something else, if not obvious at first. Take a look at his films, they are all very good imo.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say Glee if it wasn't really shitty with how biphobic it was, and how they stiffed one of their trans characters.

I hear Romeos is really great as far as movies go.

8. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Doctor Who - 13% of characters are LGBT but not all are mentioned due to storyline. However, one thing I was annoyed with is they made a big deal about a transwoman being on the show, and she didn't even have a speaking role. Although, the viewers thought this was the worst show of the season anyway [it didn't have the intro]. I could probably talk more about it, but I'm leaving it there. 'Doctor Who' includes spin offs; K9 and Co., Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood. Probably Class too when it comes out.

9. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I didn't find Boys positive at all. Just so you know...

10. pastadudde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The Way He Looks.

11. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Shadowhunters. Granted, there are some overall problems but there are so many positive things about it, like the lack of biphobia and slut-shaming (both of which happened a lot in the books it's based off) and you get a glittery, magical bisexual. And a very cute gay relationship by the end of season one.

Also - this is a book, but Trials of Apollo by Rick Riordan has a bisexual main character and an absolutely adorable gay couple.

#11 Gunsmoke, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  12. Shepamelia

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Carmilla. It's a very short and fun to watch web series! The story doesn't revolve around sexuality but there is a lot of representation in the show and it hasn't killed any of the LGBTQ+ characters yet - which is a miracle nowadays...

13. RJaye

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Films I loved:

My Beautiful Laundrette
    Kinky Boots
    Carol
    Fire (Indian with subtitles-gorgeous film)
    Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit

There are lots I want to see, so loving the thread!

14. idontknow12

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Steven Universe (all the gems are agender and gay? pan? Plus Stevonnie is genderfluid or something. AND IT'S FOR KIDS)
    Legend of Korra (another family show with 2 bisexual characters, one being the protagonist)

15. DrewKing

This film wasn't too positive as in the outcome, but I think everyone can relate to it to some extent. Plus the actors are HOT! Lol

"SAM"
    https://youtu.be/iMPwlNiNhcE

16. Ryu

Ryu

I second legend of Korra here, it is really damage good (watch Avatar:tlab as well, nothing going to do with lgbt stuff but it's also good).

If we're talking Anime and manga, I rearly recommend Gintama, and if you don'the want to watch all 330 episodes, just watch the dekkobo arc. (I have dibs on kyuubei)

Then there's Tokyo ghoul: re (a manga), which has a trans* character (mutsuukI Tooru, I've got dibs)

Mariaholic, the main character is a lesbian and is a damn funny show.

Those are the 'shows' with regards to lgbt stuff and is shown in a positive light that I've seen.

17. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

Just gonna throw Steven Universe at you and leave.
    It's a good show...

#17 Bobsleigh1, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2016