1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any cartoon artists? drawing

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by JustJJx, May 25, 2016.

1. JustJJx

Hi! I'm just starting to learn to draw manga style cartoons for a comic i'm writing. It's real hard work but i'm practicing everyday!
    Anyone got an reference sights?
    Any tips or good habits i should get into to improve? :grin:

2. PumpkinSpice

I usually look up stuff on pinterest for reference pics on poses. I've found it pretty helpful :slight_smile:
    The only tip I can think of is to use visual references for drawing to help with practising but it sounds like you're already doing that so i think you're pretty well set!

3. Plattyrex

I would advise you to practice a LOT on positions and angles you aren't comfortable with right now. It feel bad at first, but if you grind at those a whole bunch it will seriously improve your art.

4. RJaye

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    What everyone has said. Practice is the best teacher, but there are some good books on anatomy that could help. I have found that knowing anatomy helps with working with foreshortening and proportions. There are several good anatomy books on Amazon, or go on Pinterest to find anatomy pics.

Good luck with your art!

#4 RJaye, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  5. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been working on it for quite some time, hoping to make it a career eventually. Don't know if I have any great tips but I'll give it a shot. Firstly, as others have said, practice. It's going to take a long time, should be shorter the more frequently you do it but don't overwork yourself or you'll lose interest.

Another thing to keep in mind as a cartoonist is to have a unique style, for example I take inspiration from many different artists but I don't draw exactly like any of them. It's useful to use other art as a reference while learning but not to copy it exactly, ie, don't just trace another drawing and change the colors. If you wish to draw the same character exactly, it's best to change their pose dramatically so that it's still unique, just don't claim the character is yours in that case.

Posing, along with anatomy, can be a major pain. If you keep a bunch of real photos they can be easily used to help practice poses and proportions. If that's a little difficult to start with, there are wooden posing figures made to give an artist a general idea of proportions for pretty much any pose you can think of, then you can add on details like the character's body type and whether or not they're a mecha for example, if you don't consider it they'll all end up shaped like the example figure and that can cause issues.

Uh, hopefully something in there is helpful. I tried! :lol:

6. JustJJx

THANK YOU ALL, great tips from everyone!!!