1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could this character be seen as transphobic?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Canterpiece, May 26, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I've been coming up with story ideas lately. I've managed to come up with most of the plot line, I've started writing the beginning, I have a basic plot line, villain and conflict planned, and I have an ending in mind.

I don't plan to publish this work, so I'm not too worried about the confidentiality of the plot line. I may however, publish it here if I ever finish it or it gains enough interest, if not then I won't.

If you don't want to know the plot line, stop reading at the end of this sentence.

Right, so now that they've gone, let's begin.

Our story revolves around three teenage girls. The story is set in a fantasy world, but don't be fooled- it can be a dark place at times. One of the main themes in this story is the divide of the "normal people" and the magically-abled individuals. Now I know what you're thinking, this sounds familiar. And yes, you'd be right if you actually are thinking that. BUT this time the situation is a little switched around, this time it's the magic folk that are looked down upon in society. They aren't trusted by some.

The story is meant to take place many years after a time where magic folk had to live in separate housing, and before that- witch hunts and general hatred spewed against them. There were riots, protests, debates and plenty of signs about.

One of the signs simply reads "Magicians not witches!" because the term "witches" was deemed by them to be too gender-specific and had too many negative connotations, and "wizard" was deemed too specific as well so they decided that they would rather be called "magicians" or to be simply know of "magically able folk". They deemed “sorcerer” too alienating.

In this world, stage magicians were deemed to be "inappropriate" by the masses overtime, as they often mocked the "real magicians" of the world, and are banned in the time period this story is set in.

Right, now I've got the back story out the way- let's get to the bit you've all been waiting for. Almost. :grin: Yes, I am evil. :lol:

The three main characters of this story are Abigail, Rose, and Elecktra/Electra/Elettra (I haven't decided on which spelling I should use). In this world, our entire world to them is fictional, however they are named after things in this world but they consider everything in our world to be pure myth/fantasy. Yeah, try wrapping your head around that. :lol: (Evil. :icon_wink) However, their world does have plenty of similarities to ours, as well as differences.

Abigail is a "normal" (not a magician) teenager who lives with her father. I don't want to spoil too much of the plot line, then again it might be too late for that so I'm not going to give away too much of her home life away right now. Let's just say her father is very "traditional" about how he views magicians, and it certainly shows. Aside from his prejudices, he is a loving parent and overall average guy who grew up in a hateful environment.

Elecktra is a proud magician with a promising future, that is if she actually put the effort in. She's lazy, over-confident, vain, but she is also outgoing, funny and she tries her hardest to get on with Abigail. She understands why Abigail thinks of her the way she does (due to Abigail's father) but does come impatient with Abigail at times when trying to break down Abigail's inherited misinformed ignorance.

Now Rose...she's the problematic one. Potentially. Rose is a teenage girl with punk-rock sort of hair, (think of a spiked brown Mohawk with bright red highlights dotted about) who loves video games and often wears quite “geeky” T-shirts. I was thinking for her design she could have an in-universe cartoon video game character (think of a Pac-man ghost, something similar to that but sort of “Ruby Gloom”-esque, i.e. something that’s Gothic but in a sort of “cutesy” and light-hearted/spirited/fun way) and two bones crossing over each other like a pirate flag as one of her T-shirt designs. Too bad I can’t draw people very well, I can picture this so well in my head. Ugh.

Now as well as magicians in this world, there are also fairies. They’re not small though like butterflies like they tend to be shown as. (Think W.I.T.C.H., that sort of size is what I’m going for). Now Rose, well she fits into this category, much to her dismay. This is where the trans part comes in.

Now I’m sure many of you are aware of the backlash against the “trans-unicorn” episode in the PPG reboot. I’m trying to be respectful when it comes to presenting a character like Rose, and I feel like I’m towing the line with what I've got so far.
    What I have so far- Rose is uncomfortable with her wings, and she has successfully managed to get her wings to shrink slowly overtime with the help of treatment. Her mother doesn't fully understand Rose, and she thinks Rose is slightly deranged for acting the way she does, and is bewildered at the fact that her daughter insists upon wearing cloaks and capes all the time.

Rose has gained quite a collection of cloaks and capes over time, and she has some favourite ones as well as ones she isn't all that keen on. Her mother sometimes threatens her with the prospect of “taking away all of her capes and cloaks” if she misbehaves, or sometimes just threatens to bin her favourite cape.

Her mother doesn't full on hate her, she just doesn't understand her. She thinks that Rose is just doing all this as an attempt to undermine/challenge her. Despite this, she does want what’s best for her daughter and she knows that this is the only way she’ll be happy in the end.

I am unsure whether or not to use this story line, as I don’t want people thinking I’m promoting the so called “trans-species” people. I know such a story line could be interpreted this way, and it’s something I’d worry about if I decided to go ahead with this idea. Despite not want to publish this, (besides maybe here, or not) I still want it to seem acceptable and not be offensive to the trans*/trans community, and I don’t want it to cross over into the “trans-species” territory.

I mean going from fairy to human is a lot different than say a human turning into a cat is. I know it’s fiction, and I know it doesn't really matter as much as this is probably going to be a fairly private, not published story but I’d like to hear your thoughts regardless.

Any pointers on writing this character? Anything I should avoid? Anything I should change/take out of the story? I don’t know, I just feel like discussing this.
    I’m not going to go into who the villain is or the main climax is of this story (just in case I do post it here after all). But just so you know, it isn't one of the three girls. It is however, someone that one of the girls knows, and not one of their parents or guardians.

Or if you prefer, you can just skip to the main bit.

Now Rose...she's the problematic one. Potentially. Rose is a teenage girl with punk-rock sort of hair, (think of a spiked brown Mohawk with bright red highlights dotted about) who loves video games and often wears quite “geeky” T-shirts. I was thinking for her design she could have an in-universe cartoon video game character (think of a Pac-man ghost, something similar to that but sort of “Ruby Gloom”-esque, i.e. something that’s Gothic but in a sort of “cutesy” and light-hearted/spirited/fun way) and two bones crossing over each other like a pirate flag as one of her T-shirt designs. Too bad I can’t draw people very well, I can picture this so well in my head. Ugh.

Now as well as magicians in this world, there are also fairies. They’re not small though like butterflies like they tend to be shown as. (Think W.I.T.C.H., that sort of size is what I’m going for). Now Rose, well she fits into this category, much to her dismay. This is where the trans part comes in.

Now I’m sure many of you are aware of the backlash against the “trans-unicorn” episode in the PPG reboot. I’m trying to be respectful when it comes to presenting a character like Rose, and I feel like I’m towing the line with what I've got so far.
    What I have so far- Rose is uncomfortable with her wings, and she has successfully managed to get her wings to shrink slowly overtime with the help of treatment. Her mother doesn't fully understand Rose, and she thinks Rose is slightly deranged for acting the way she does, and is bewildered at the fact that her daughter insists upon wearing cloaks and capes all the time.

Rose has gained quite a collection of cloaks and capes over time, and she has some favourite ones as well as ones she isn't all that keen on. Her mother sometimes threatens her with the prospect of “taking away all of her capes and cloaks” if she misbehaves, or sometimes just threatens to bin her favourite cape.

Her mother doesn't full on hate her, she just doesn't understand her. She thinks that Rose is just doing all this as an attempt to undermine/challenge her. Despite this, she does want what’s best for her daughter and she knows that this is the only way she’ll be happy in the end.

I am unsure whether or not to use this story line, as I don’t want people thinking I’m promoting the so called “trans-species” people. I know such a story line could be interpreted this way, and it’s something I’d worry about if I decided to go ahead with this idea. Despite not want to publish this, (besides maybe here, or not) I still want it to seem acceptable and not be offensive to the trans*/trans community, and I don’t want it to cross over into the “trans-species” territory.

I mean going from fairy to human is a lot different than say a human turning into a cat is. I know it’s fiction, and I know it doesn't really matter as much as this is probably going to be a fairly private, not published story but I’d like to hear your thoughts regardless.

Any pointers on writing this character? Anything I should avoid? Anything I should change/take out of the story? I don’t know, I just feel like discussing this.
    I’m not going to go into who the villain is or the main climax is of this story (just in case I do post it here after all). But just so you know, it isn't one of the three girls. It is however, someone that one of the girls knows, and not one of their parents or guardians.

That’s all for today folks. :smilewave

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If done in the right way, it could be seen as an allegory for the trans community. Putting it into the context of magicians and fairies may hide the purpose to the extent you're getting people to accept trans people, through reading the story, without actually realizing it (because they think it's just about magicians and fairies - even though you know there is real world applications).

Think to X-men. X-men is an allegory for the coming out of gay people and for the Civil Rights Movement. It's not obivious straight away, and I didn't notice it until I watched a YouTube video [can't find the reference, sorry] , but looking back, I think it fits. It's not homophobic or racist, but merely pointing out struggles in a ''fictional'' context so people can discuss it.

3. Plattyrex

I don't personally tink so. It doesn't seem derogatory or malicious in any way, so I don't see why it would be.