1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone used Pimsleur for languages before?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, May 27, 2016.

1. rudysteiner

Hi everyone,

I've had a bit of a change of heart recently, and have realised/decided that I most likely want to pursue languages at university. In September, I'm hopefully going to be starting some formal qualifications in two languages (Spanish and French), and taking those on to degree level, well Spanish at least. This is what I'm thinking at the moment, anyway.

I've got a fair amount of time from now until September, so want to get as much an advantage as I can in one or both, so I'm considering Pimsleur, because I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Has anyone used this before for any language at all? If so, how did you find it?

Joe.

2. 741852963

I've used Paul Noble which is a very similar method. Pimsleur, Michel Thomas and Paul Noble all employ similar methods.

It is a good method to try, as rather than rote learning it forces you to create sentences yourself (something I'd never thought I'd manage).

From memory:
    -Paul Noble is the cheapest (although I do find his voice a little annoying after a while).
    -Pimsleur is fine but I think more expensive.
    -Michel Thomas I wouldn't recommend though as the CDs are poorly edited (as he records his students so you get all their mistakes and dumb responses in there!).

I wouldn't bother with Rosetta Stone (overpriced and oversimplified) although Babbel might help you (It's much cheaper).

#2 741852963, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  3. GodlyArmadillo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some free resources:

- memrise: they have a BUNCH of courses that will help you improve your vocabulary.
    - Anki: an app to memorise vocab/sentences. Really good.
    - FluentU: studies with videos from youtube and using subtitles as a test. Quite good.
    - lang-8: you can post diaries or entries in your target language, and people will correct them.

4. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've learned quite a bit of Japanese through Pimsleur. I worked food delivery and spent hours driving each day, so it was easy to follow along on deliveries. I illegally got mine through a torrent to be honest, so cost wasn't a concern. I tried Rosetta Stone but being able to do an audio learning method on CD worked much better for me, for Rosetta Stone you have to complete the courses on a computer and I simply got too bored.