1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Positive potrayals of bisexuality

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Secrets5, May 31, 2016.

1. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Does anyone know any films that have positive portrayals of bisexuality and do not have explicit sexual scenes?

I'm 18 as well so any rating.

Thank-you.

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Films... hmm... I'm thinking about two things... The first is the anime-like cartoon Avatar: The Legend of Korra (Korra is a bisexual girl, although I have a feeling you know of that). That's not really a movie, though, and the portrayal of bisexuality is very limited to mostly straight love. The second one I'm thinking about is the movie Deadpool, but that one certainly does have explicit sexual scenes. So neither of those two entirely fit your criteria... :/ Sorry about that! I do wish there would be a broader portrayal of bisexual love in today's film. It's such a beautiful thing. :slight_smile:

3. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know any films, but The 100 has a well-developed bisexual character who (I feel) is potrayed postively

4. rudysteiner

Isn't Alec from The Mortal Instruments bi? Or is he gay? Either way, there's The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, but idk whether Alec is in that much. Or there's Shadowhunters, the TMI series on Netflix. Not sure whether he's in that either as I haven't seen it. The first two books are worth the read though, if you'd read the books.

5. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try Anne Rice. Loads of her characters are bi. I especially enjoyed the books about the Mayfair Witches.

6. RandomMatt

Delphine and Cosima in Orphan Black.

7. Embi

Embi Guest

Yes,Shadowhunters has a very, very good portrayal of bisexual characters. There's a gay guy (Alec) and a bi guy (Magnus) and also a whole bisexual species (seelies/faeries). Besides they plan on making one character pansexual. I highly recommend that tv show, not the movie though because it doesn't have a good representation (and is also bad in my opinion).

The books are awesome too though, it takes some time until they mention the LGBT+ parts more because it was written in 2007 and the author didn't want to get banned from the bookstores.

8. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I second this! In terms of representation, Shadowhunters is great. Well, in terms of a lot of things, actually.

I have to disagree about the books, though - in the fourth one (City of Fallen Angels) there is quite a lot of bi-phobia from Alec. I think that the show is actually quite a lot better than the books for many, many reasons, including making the characters more realistic.

But, back to the positives, Magnus Bane is beautiful and excellent representation for bisexuals. The show has great diversity in a lot of ways!

#8 Gunsmoke, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  9. Embi

Embi Guest

That's kind of true, but he learns from his mistakes, so I think in general it counts as good representation. I don't want to go into details about it, because of spoilers and the whole thing getting off-topic, but I would say it's rather his jealousy and fears of Magnus forgetting him as he is immortal than biphobia. Okay, it is really off-topic, I am sorry.

10. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I kinda though Bo in Lost Girl was a good representation. Though I don't know she ever actually said she was bi, she sure was. She actually had (somewhat) successful relationships with both sexes.

11. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Second this.

The film does not actually portray his bisexuality though, only that he's okay with being anally penetrated by a woman.

---------- Post added 4th Jun 2016 at 10:24 PM ----------

I actually feel the biphobia is sort of justified from Alec's POV, due to insecurities.
    Not that it's okay of course, but understandable.