1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headsets

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Invidia, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I was just wondering, what headsets you guys on here think are of good quality or bad quality. I quite recently bought a Philips headset (Bluetooth)... and they kind of suck. Like... they broke almost entirely by dropping them from half a meter up. Its sides are super crappy cheap plastic that one could easily break off with ones hands into a thousand pieces. And the Bluetooth function was weird - when outside around noise like from cars or whatever, it got all, like, jumpy and the music kind of, like... skippy. The touch function for switching songs/decreasing or increasing the volume sucks, I much prefer the manual pressing function of my previous headset. Gah, I got so bitter, this was supposed to be a good headset - it was like $200, after all.
    Any tips on better headsets? Another brand, maybe? And also, these were ordered via the internet... maybe it's smarter, albeit it more expensive, to go to a store directly in person?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope you returned the Phillips and bitched and got your money back. For $200, the headset should be durable and long-lasting.

Sadly, my experience is that almost nobody (and particularly, almost none of the big names) makes anything durable. Increasingly, things like headsets, headphones, earphones, and the like aren't even designed or made by the manufacturer; they simply buy somebody else's crappy Chinese product and stick their sticker on it. But when they do actually design something, it's pretty much standard these days that they make it as cheaply as possible, so reliability and durability is pretty far down the list.

I have a huge bias against in-ear headphones or headsets. While I know many people love them, personally, I've never found any that were comfortable (and I've tried many.) So I can't give you a good recommendation for in-ear.

So what I use for headset (for making/receiving phonecalls) is this huge, kludgy, and incredibly ugly over-ear headset that was designed for long-haul truckers. If you care at all about how you look wearing it in public (I don't), this headset is not for you. That said, it has awesome noise rejection; people can hear me even in a very loud room with a lot of background noise. It has a good earpiece, the Bluetooth is pretty reliable, and battery life is very decent (8-12 hours of actual use and several days of being on standby.) This is only for phonecalls, not for listening to music.

For music, I also went through a whole bunch of different headphones (again, on-ear, not in-ear, since I hate in-ear models), and I've fallen in love with these. Great sound, reliable Bluetooth connectivity, remote volume and selection control, and they also have a jack and can be used corded. They're durable and have lasted me quite a while. (They've also dropped in price; originally about $100, now down to about $35) The only disadvantage is the built-in microphone sucks, so they're not very feasible for phonecalls.

I realize that you're probably looking for small, sleek, in-ear... but if you're willing to consider these, I think you'll find the quality and durability worthwhile.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

The current ones I have are over-ear, as I prefer that to in-ear ones (or on-ear ones, in general). And I guess maybe what I have is really called headphones? They're not the tiny ones, but the round things on your ears with an arc-thingy on your head.

I did bitch a little bit... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I'm going to return them soon, and I hope I might get a refund. I think I need to bitch some more too.
    Yeah, it seems they pretty much want the stuff to break so that you have to buy more and more... :/

Thanks for the tips on those on-ear ones. I have a pair of on-ear ones as well, but the problem with them is that the bass totally sucks.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you get *good* on-ear headphones, the bass is actually better than the best in-ear, at least that's been my experience. The Privates aren't the very best for bass, but are pretty good.

If you're willing to spend some coin and willing to go with on-ear, take a look at Sennheiser or BeyerDynamic's higher end products. Those are studio-grade headphones that have awesome bass and very smooth response. (They're also spendy.)

5. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a set of Sennheiser Sport earbuds that go around your ear to stay in place and a pair of Sennheiser Urbanite XL's and I like both of them a lot for sound quality. :slight_smile: They cost me around $250 combined, so they're a bit on the pricey side but they're worth it imo.

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Thanks, both of you, for your advice. :slight_smile:

7. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow I don't think I have headsets as fancy as you guys :3 but I did manage to get my hands on a pair of those newish apple earbuds that are kind of triangle shaped to fit in your ears better. They are great, really comftable and the sound is pretty good. I've also tried on a beats by dr dre headphones and it was amazing. So I'm thinking I might save up for a good pair :slight_smile: