1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you have a hobby that's stereotypically seen as for the opposite gender?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, Jun 1, 2016.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

I hope that title makes sense. To clarify: do you have a hobby which is seen something reserved for the opposite gender? Like, dress-making for guys or cigar smoking for girls? How do you handle people giving you grief for your hobby?

Personally, I can just about crochet, and when I do it, it relaxes me as it seems quite meditative to me. And I can french knit, but that's not exactly skillful. My Grandma taught me and three of my cousins how to do these. Whenever I tell someone I can crochet, as I'm quite masculine, it's always a shock to them. The Great British Sewing Bee has recently started though, and I'd love to be able to sit behind a sewing machine and make something, even if it's not an item of clothing.
    The only example of a masculine hobby a female has, is my sister who is a keen footballer, but with the improvement in football getting better year by year, I don't think it's a good example, so I'll leave that there.

So, does anyone have a hobby that's usually associated with the opposite gender?

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Baking. Society seems to be moving away from the idea it's a female only thing, but I've gotten grief for it a few times. I say something like "Stfu, who doesn't want to eat cake?" :lol:

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, exactly. Or you could say, "Fine, I'll keep all my amazing stuff over here and you can choose not to partake."

4. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Only thing I can think of would be video games, I'll get weird looks for it even if I'm quite literally playing a female character. Like whut?

My entire friend group kinda does, I do mostly sandbox and building games myself. Sometimes other genres will catch my eye if they're diverse or have a neat scifi or magic theme. Non-ridiculous outfits are a must, no chainmail undies please.

Or Pokémon for that matter, that's like the one game we all agree on.

5. rudysteiner

Totally forgot about baking! I've been addicted to butterfly cupcakes recently. I'm a self-taught baker too, but I'm yet to tackle a red velvet yet. Can't wait!

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Playing video games where I fight bad guys... That's the only thing I can think of at the moment, and no one even knows about it anyway (well, except the guys who battle me, and they don't know I'm secretly female, lol).

I do lots of boyish things but I wouldn't call them hobbies... Come to think of it, I don't have a lot of hobbies.

7. Naxams

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm I'm not sure to call this a hobby or if this is considered a girl thing but I love to go to a coffee shop/a cafe to hang out.

8. Formality

I enjoy baking. I also like making and drinking cocktails, which some people find feminine because apparently men are only supposed to drink beer and hard liquor. Even something like cooking is considered feminine by some people I know.

I know for sure that I'd have more "feminine" hobbies if I would've been allowed that kind of gender-bending by society growing up. Not feeling like I had to be a certain way simply because I have a dick. It's a shame really, that it has to be this way.

9. eMei

^^

This!

10. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Violent video games. My uncle opened up my old faithful PS2 sometime last year and found Metal Gear Solid 3 and was like"you into these sort of violent games?". He was genuinely confused. I just looked at him like "17 years and you don't KNOW me at all?". My cousin explained to him that I've been into them since I could hold a controller. I just couldn't fathom how he thought I was too girly for that.

Also Shonen manga/anime has the word " boy"(=shonen) in it. I like that.

I guess playing the electric guitar is also sorta boyish. You see a lot of girls playing something cute on the acoustic but not many learning metal or anything.

I want to do judo or something because I like playfighting but I'm just too old to playfighting so I need an excuse to be fighting people haha.

Sometimes I dabble in code.

And if Formality wants to bring drinks into this: I drink beer mostly and one of my favourite drinks is dark rum. I won't go a night out without a beer. But I might do a cocktail too if your lucky. But usually shots and beer.

11. rudysteiner

I do this most days. So much so that every barista in my chosen coffee shop all know my order as soon as they see my face. :lol: I even lost my voice once and was about to attempt to order my usual, and the barista says 'it's okay, I know what you're having. Sit down and I'll bring it over for you.' :lol:

12. Hizaki

Depending on how you look at it, you could say either video games, because I'm a girl, or bracelet-making because I'm usually seen as a guy.

13. Brytaleith

You mean like, gaming, or programming?

Well, I can hardly consider gaming a hobby anymore, not since senior year arrived and squashed me, but I do enjoy it. Skyrim is life. Also WoW and Nosgoth. :grin:

Programming is a regular thing. Weird science projects. Arduino. Building an Iron Man suit fully equipped with a functional artificial intelligence and weapons system. Ahh, one can dream.

Also, sports. I practically grew up with sports. Running is great, soccer is great. I was on a softball team (although stereotypically for females) for five years and been into martial arts for about twice that. Although, one must admit there are other sports that are stereotypically feminine, and I must confess that I am quite unaware of these stereotypes.

14. ChameleonSoul

I hope it's ok if I do this since I'm still seen a guy to the rest of the world.

I love baking fancy vegan breads and desserts. And you could argue that since veganism is seen as a predominately "feminine" trait that it adds extra points to that. I also like painting landscapes and abstract pieces as well, but I haven't done any for fun in a while.

15. fenestra

Hiking, camping, fishing and working on my car, I suppose. Also, this might not be considered a hobby, per se, but I do love to watch shows about sports cars. Not only is it more of a 'guy' thing, it goes against every aspect of my own personality. I don't like status symbols or even driving fast but I'd give my left boob for an Aston Martin Vanquish or a DB9. Heck, take 'em both.

#15 fenestra, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  16. HeavenMade

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not sure if this can be considered as "stereotypically masculine," but I frequently read anthropological literature pertaining to various indigenous peoples of the World. I say this because it seems that anthropology is almost a male-dominated field, whereas some of my other interests, psychology and sociology, are fairly-balanced in regards to gender.

17. jp97

Only thing I can think of is baking and no one really says anything since I can bake really good.

18. iamjustababy

iamjustababy Active Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I crochet, do DIYs, and bake.
    Oh and I make jewelry.

Not really a hobby, but I do collect holiday barbie dolls. Which could be considered a female thing.

#18 iamjustababy, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2016
  19. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do those weird microwave food recipes like chocolate cake in a mug. Apart from that, I guess gardening is often thought of as a woman's hobby, but I love it so screw them :badgrin:

20. 1Tiny0wl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like doing outdoorsy types of things like fishing and hiking. I'm also into photography, especially nature and landscape photos.