1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'll Give You the Sun

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nicaklaus, Jun 4, 2016.

1. Nicaklaus

Has anyone read "I'll Give You the Sun" by Jandy Nelson? I kind of like this book... a lot.

It's beautifully written, and the author's craft is refreshingly original. And there's a cute gay couple. What more could you want.

It's just one of those books that... makes you think, instead of thinking for you. Also my avatar and signature are both from the book... but no, I'm not obsessed at all, why would you think that?

If anyone has read, it, what are your thoughts on the book? Are you 1000% obsessed like I am? (!)

2. Nicaklaus

I just realized this should've gone in Entertainment and Media... whoops :grin:

3. ForeverMe

I LOVE that book too... I recently read it in a book club with a few friends (and my crush) and it was amazing. It was actually my city's All City Read last summer. I thought that Noah was amazing as character, but I had a little bit of trouble with Jude. She didn't seem quite as real to me. Also, Oscar being with her didn't make sense. He is so much older and so stereotypical.

One think I love is how different the characters are, and how well Nelson highlights their differences.

4. plant

I agree that Jandy Nelson's writing is amazing, and she uses imagery in such a profound way. She's also written another book called The Sky is Everywhere, though it doesn't feature an LGBTQ couple. I agree with @ForeverMe that Jude didn't match Noah's greatness and found her relationship with Oscar to be awkward

5. someone29017

someone29017 Guest

I really liked it but I also agree that Noah's part was way more interesting than Jude's. I found myself waiting for her part's to be over so I could get back to Noah lol. I liked how both of them were quirky in their own ways. Overall, great book. *thumbs up*

6. Comet

Wow, this sounds like a good book, I'll have to look around for it