1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Glee...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by iiimee, Jun 7, 2016.

1. iiimee

So, does anyone here like it? I am just now watching it, though really I'm constantly going between watching Glee, House, Orange Is The New Black, and Supernatural... X_X I've been trying to keep up with any pop culture from the past ten years, so... :/ Anyway, my opinion on Glee so far:
    I am currently on Season 3, and it's not that bad, though I find a lot of the music Finn sings to be boring. Puckerman (or whatever his name is) and Kurt's music definitely appeals to me the most- Mr. Cellophane is one of my all-time favorite songs from musicals, so I was excited when that was song in the beginning of the first season... though I could totally sing it better! >_> Anyway, the character's are extremely cliche in my opinion, but since the show's a few years old I might be a bit too judgmental- Pop culture changes month by month. Anyway, it's not the sort of show I really love, but since it's a show with obvious LGB themes I thought I'd see what the people of EC thought. (!)

2. Comet

I am a huge fan of musical theatre, and I enjoy it for its face value, but sometimes I feel like it's a bit heavy-handed in its messages. It makes everyone have a very specific distinct trait that sets them apart from the rest of the group, which appeals to some (including me), but others it pushes away. I believe this is why its received its reputation in the mainstream of "it's for special snowflakes." Personally, I feel like it has good representation, as every group can watch it and see at least some part of themselves in a character.

As for characters, I feel like in the early seasons, all of the characters are very stereotypical. For example, my favorite character, Kurt, is very stereotypically gay. In the later seasons, all the characters go through their personal arcs, and they become much more fleshed out and more believable, realistic, good characters. But in the early seasons, the stereotypes are almost doing more harm then good.

I'm not sure how far you are in the season, so what I say may have some spoilers in it.

The relationship between Brittany and Santana is one that I, personally, dislike. Sure in the later seasons it redeems itself, but it will always be awkward to me in the earlier seasons. I started watching Glee when I was questioning, to see if it could help. And to see a lesbian relationship portrayed in this way, well, it wasn't doing me any favors, to put it simply. Also, although Santana confessed that she didn't really have feelings for any males, Brittany has obviously had serious, enjoyabe relationships with males and females, and yet they haven't said "bisexual" in the series (to my knowledge). Oh well, you live and you live.

3. iiimee

You seriously didn't like their relationship? So far, it's my favorite, and honestly, I'm glad they're not using labels, because when you have a character that's fluid, it would feel like half the people would want her to call herself pan and half bi. By not labeling herself, Santana makes herself relate-able to both of those audiences and stays in character because, honestly, I don't think Santana would label herself, and Brittany's too stupid to label herself unless someone does it for her...

Kurt's a fun character, though Blaine seems like a nicer guy to me, so I appreciate him a lot more. :/ Kurt's nice, but he can be a bitch sometimes! There are moments when I have disliked pretty much everyone except the Asian chick and Blaine... except Sue. As horrible as she was, I have to love that character. XD Artie, Blaine, and Quin are probably some of my favorites, though as I said before, I already have moments I can point to where I hated everyone except Blaine on that list of people I like... I can see some of myself in Rachel and some in Kurt, because I am somebody who absolutely loves the spotlight and will shove somebody out of the way to get it. That's why I can see myself in Rachel, but with Kurt, it's merely the fact we have very similar interests and taste in fashion, though unlike Kurt I don't actually worry about what I wear on a day-to-day basis: I just know what I'd like to see myself in, and what I'd like to see others in. :wink:

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Brittany says in one episode "...and I think I'm bi-curious''

Can't remember which episode it was though.

I think Sue is a good character - she just hates Glee club, so she'll hate on something biological to ''get to them'' when she really just hates Glee.

It's Rachel who annoys me. I mean, it's supposed to be an ensemble show but she always had to be the focus of everything. She wasn't happy when someone else got the part, which is understandable, but to go so far to want to take that part away from them is ridiculous.

Yes, Kurt is stereotypically gay, but I think it works for his character. Although I wish they'd stop making it about sexuality every episode or so, because it's not always about that. [Okay, the shows over, nothing I can do about that].

5. plant

I love Glee, it's a total guilty pleasure of mine.

6. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Glee! Santana is my favourite. The music is good and that makes up for the story line annoyances haha

7. iiimee

Really? The music is something I hate. X_X Really, the only songs I've enjoyed hearing sung so far are "Mr. Cellophane" and "Loser"... Loser's a great song. <3

8. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't watch it but I like listening to some of the songs from it.

My sister, on the other hand, LOVES Glee.

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    THere's a huuuuuuuuuuge thread (probably 700+ posts) on Glee in the archives. Feel free to dig into it, lot of interesting discussion there.

10. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I used to watch it, but I stopped watching it. It just wasn't good to me anymore. At first, I liked Klaine, now I don't. I'd rather have Kurt be with either Sebastian or Dave. Klaine just seemed too perfect for me.

11. someone29017

someone29017 Guest

I started last tuesday and I'm already halfway through season 3 0_0

12. iiimee

I'm not to the part where he's introduced, but I know about and LOVE Sebastian! XD My sort of person...

13. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    brittany said she is a bicorn in season 3 in the episode where she was making unicorn posters for kurt
    [​IMG]
    don't blame her for labels, she is really dump in a funny cute way though .....she doesn't even know her right hand from her left, let alone choosing labels for herself :confused:

14. RGEm

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like the older seasons. I stopped watching at season 4 though, as the majority of the new cast annoyed me a bit.

15. Comet

Ah, I must have missed that bit. Thanks for showing me :slight_smile:

But yeah I think most of us can agree that the early seasons Rachel was very whiny and annoying. She definitely redeemed herself in season 6, in my opinion.