1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coldplay

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Vector, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I just got back from Melbourne, where I went to see Coldplay perform last night.
    And I have to say, it was fucking amazing.

Aside from the incredible lighting and visual effects, they worked the crowd up unbelievably well, and gave a performance to remember for a lifetime.

During their song 'Yellow,' giant balloons filled with confetti were released from the ceiling of the arena. Occasionally people would pop them, and confetti would explode everywhere.

Towards the end of the concert they performed a number of songs from within the crowd. They actually ran up to the back corner of the stadium and performed in the aisle.

When they played Lovers in Japan, thousands of paper butterflies spewed from the ceiling and filled the venue. At the end of the song they went to UV lights and a large number of them glowed in the dark. It was an incredible sight.

Is anybody else a fan of Coldplay? Or perhaps had an incredible concert performance that they'd like to share?

K Go!

2. Sarah

Awww!!! Lucky I Wish I Was There!!!

3. Greggers

Ive heard coldplay is horrible vocal wise, but great performance wise, when live.

I have the CD's and i love them, but if they are anything like they were on SNL...maybe not live for me hehe

4. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LIES! Chris didn't miss a note. Will didn't skip a beat. Guy and Johnny strummed to perfection. Sound-wise, they're just as good live as on CD.

5. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Dude! That's awesome. I would normally be jealous but I get to see them this July!

6. Janvier

They ripped off Joe Satriani !! :tantrum:

7. Blaz

Blaz Guest

No they didn't! If people really cared about things sounding alike, everyone would be suing everyone. It sounds too diff to me, especially with the solo. There are progressions that are just used a lot and a lot of melodies that are nearly exact. Music isn't exactly as original as it used to be as well. Many "new" ideas are ideas from long long ago. . .

8. I like a lot of Coldplay songs besides Viva La Vida. Every time that song comes on I want to kill someone. Lovers in Japan is good though

9. ilovelife

Coldplay is the s***! I love them! Especially "In My Place" and "Strawberry Swing"! Wooo!

10. Techcompu2

my favorite song by them is Viva La Vida I have not really listened to their others but I love that one lol

11. Janvier

Solo? Please..
    The similarities are obviously between Satriani's chorus and Coldplay's verse.
    --
    Satriani : C Db Bb Ab Bb Bb C Ab F
    Coldplay: C Db Bb Eb Bb Bb C Eb F

The first 3 notes are C Db Bb for both, exactly the same.

(I used to) | rule the world |
    (CC-----C)-| C---Db- Bb ---|

The next notes for Satriani are Ab Bb and Coldplay Eb Bb, different? Not really, the interval between Ab and Eb is a perfect 5th so they sound really similar..

Then we have Bb C Ab F (Satriani) and Bb C Eb F (Coldplay), again, perfect 5th interval between Ab and Eb.
    --
    The chord progression in the key of Fm would be:

Bbm Eb Ab Fm for Coldplay
    Dbm Eb Ab Fm for Satriani.
    [VI - VII - III - I] (Coldplay)
    [IV - VII - III - I] (Satriani)

Yeah kinda exactly the same, oh but the first one isn't the same, right?
    Well if you replace the 4th chord for a 6th chord (when minor and in the same key of course), they sound almost exactly the same, so yeah, can't really cheat themselves out of that one.
    Play it, you'll see.

Almost the same tempo, very similar rhythm, I mean it's just too much similarity's for it too be a huge coincidence don't you think?

Just my 2cents :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#11 Janvier, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  12. Blaz

Blaz Guest

I agree with the similarity in the chorus, but I just don't buy it. . .

I'm familiar with theory(as well as how a tiny change can make the greatest difference, especially when arpeggiating, not to mention over feel) and I could find the same similarities(especially the drum rhythm, OMGZ 4/4 time!!! The bell and snare are on 2 and 4!!! Conspiracy!!!) in hundreds of other songs. The chord progression is also one that is very common in rock music(Well. . .not so much in the key of Ab. . .but you get my drift, just different keys).

But in this day and age, people want money. . .

Joe Satriani, although talented, is known as a bit of an arse in the music biz as well. . .

13. Shevanel

its just called similar chord progression. Think about it, SO many songs have similar chord progressions. Like how Dani California ripped off Mary Jane's Last Dance or how Led Zeppelin stole old blues songs (well this one was a true rip off) or how in This Calling by All That Remains, towards the end the sorta outro solo sounds awfully like a solo in Holy Diver (Dio or the Killswitch version). Either way, it really doesn't matter.

14. Blaz

Blaz Guest

lol, Just for laughs(and there's tons more similar songs out there, but here are a few):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De3lvudmOAw

15. Agerardii

I don't want to sound like a jerk or anything, but Coldplay = Diet Radiohead.

A friend of mine (and fellow Radiohead fanatic) said that to me a while ago and I thought it was pretty funny and appropriate.

I don't mean to talk crap about your band though. Especially not after an amazing concert.

16. Shevanel

17. Gumtree

Coldplay have AWESOME live performances!

I had a choice to see Coldplay or Kings of Leon this month in Sydney, I chose Kings of Leon since I had alrdy seen Coldplay but now I'm thinking perhaps Coldplay would have been the way to go!

18. TheBP

Gaahhh, I LOVE Coldplay beyond belief. The songs, the music, the vocals, all amazing.

I actually saw them in concert a little under a week ago. Easily the best band I've ever seen. They sounded just as great as they do on the CD, and the gimmicks they put into the songs made it even more magical.

19. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow this thread has been dead for over four months lol..

I don't mind coldplay's stuff, not obsessive about them though.

By the way, this seems more Entertainment and Technology than Chit Chat to me. ;P

20. partietraumatic

i like some cold play stuff but can't stand Chris Martin. Hes a pretentious self rightous prat. He's so far up his own arse he french kissing himself! Grr