1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips for learning to play guitar

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by CoderK, Jul 4, 2016.

1. CoderK

So recently I bought a guitar, and I am trying to get better at it. I can read and play simple tabs pretty well, but I can't do chords yet and I was wondering if anyone had any tips. Thanks in advanced!

:help:

2. Electric Puns

I'd suggest taking your time- don't plunge straight into hard stuff, buy don't stay at the same level either. Slowly push yourself. There are loads of guitar lessons on YouTube and there are also many books you can buy. As for chords, I would print off the grids for the most common chords (A-G major, minor and 7) and practice slowly moving from one chord position to the next and back again.
    I hope this helps and that you keep playing- the guitar is a brilliant instrument. :icon_bigg

3. mmmelody

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    There's this great app I have called Tabs & Chords by Ultimate Guitar; it's got a massive database of chords for songs. The chords are marked in the lyrics to every song, so you can see the lyrics as well, and when you click on the chord it'll show you the fingering for that exact chord. Aside from that, they have video lessons in the app that show you how to finger chords and do all sorts of other stuff with the guitar.

You can download it for free, but you can't access all of the features until you get the pro version - which, unfortunately, is $10. However, I have had the app for over a year now and I do not regret the purchase. It has the chords for every song imaginable and teaches me how to play them. You'll never have to buy a music book again.

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Youtube has a lot of great video tutorials on the basics, as well as a step-by-step process on how to do different songs.

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great! With chords, some are much easier than others- so for example, learn E minor, A minor, E major, A major and start with simple ones until you get the hang of them, then teach yourself more! Also, learning to read sheet music may be a good idea but it really depends.

6. korovin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    depends on what you plan on playing, learning a bunch of chords is always a good thing. and also how to swiftly transition between chords. personally i mostly do fingerstyle and what i wish i had done more when learning was improvise and play around with picking patterns instead of simply just reading tabs and playing along. travis picking is pretty good because it's more a way to pick than an actual pattern so there's a lot to play w/. lick 'n' riff is a good youtube channel if u wanna learn more fingerstyle!

good luck!